I’m thinking of upgrading from a 540 Vanquish to a 600 Equinox. Is the difference worth it?

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m growing quite fond of this little hobby, and my Vanquish 540 is serving me quite well.
It does bear asking, however, if I were to consider moving up the food chain to the Equinox 600, would that be a good move?

Could anyone give me a quick contrast and compare on the two?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait for the Nokta Legend, you'll thank me!:skullflag:

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait for the Nokta Legend, you'll thank me!:skullflag:

Thanks Terry. Your advice has been a tremendous gift to me so far, and I have no reason to doubt you now.

I guess I’ll be waiting, and getting by fine with the little 540.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can wait for the legend then wait for the reviews and comparison video

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox 600 has quite a bit more power for depth and better target ID. Obviously being waterproof to 10 feet helped quite a bit too. Minelab has hit a home run on the equinox series. They are very very hard to beat. Feel free to call us if you'd like to go over the differences. Be glad to help you.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I presume by this statement that you have had some "hands on" this new detector Terry ? ? ?
Can't comment Arc, however, you can hold me to my statement!:headbang:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I own both. The 540 is my backup/wife's detector, and I have the Equinox 800. The 800 is much better.
No doubt the 600/800 is better in many ways, but Is the 800 deeper? I thought i saw Calabash did a video on the 540 and it it hit all his deep targets in his garden just like his earlier 800 tests did? I'm sure for the sake of sales they'd like you to think one is deeper.

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"Better" is oft times in the eye of the beholder as the old saying goes. My personal assessment is that the Equinox series is more refined, flexible i.e. "tailorable" Both are solid performers but as you "grow" in this hobby, you'll learn to appreciate the added capability to tune in the Equinox series more so than the Vanquish series.
As for the Legend, I know little to nothing about that detector. Obviously, Terry has better insight on that one and has been a solid source of information in the past so the decision rests solely on your shoulders. 8-)

As I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole...

KSXP2

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2022
I was on the fence about either getting a 540 or a Nox 600 and watched several comparison videos. What I saw was the 540 was very good in depth but nowhere near as good in target separation. Also, the Nox is waterproof which is important to me. As far as the Legend goes, I'm sure outperforming the Nox 800 was the main goal and if they succeed then look out! Minelab better have something in the works to step it up.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just bought my second 800 w free 15" coil (why I bought it) and also own the CTX 3030 and Excal II. For small gold like very small chain links, studded ear rings, very sml and light gold rings (< 0.5g), you just can't beat the Equinox series. I find gold that other machine simply don't see. I'm also impressed with the accurate identification of American coins (1c, 5c, 10c, 25c), in the 80-85% region. My CTX 3030 is gathering dust and it cost 3x more than the 800! The 600 is also right up there and hard to beat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread