jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What about it? What would you like to share about this ebay listing? I also don't understand the title. Please explain.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well....it would normally be at least twice what the price is right now for starters and well,the title pretty much states exactly what this coin was graded at...."Improperly cleaned"...intent of post is to show folks like your self that you can damage a coin by cleaning it especially a gold coin....clear now?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
well....it would normally be at least twice what the price is right now for starters and well,the title pretty much states exactly what this coin was graded at...."Improperly cleaned"...intent of post is to show folks like your self that you can damage a coin by cleaning it especially a gold coin....clear now?

Ok well you dont have to be all self-righteous about it. All I asked for was a simple explanation of what your intention was for your post. Thanks?

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well you dont have to be all self-righteous about it. All I asked for was a simple explanation of what your intention was for your post. Thanks?
...didnt mean to come off self righteous at all...meant,I made the post too show people that you can really end up ruining a valuable coin....and I took from your reply,that you were likely one that didnt realize??My apologies

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yea Tom,that would be improper.....and not saying not cleaned/dont clean......

for those that dont know this coin is beyond RARE,its not "just",a gold coin.......

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
What ?? Do you mean I WASN'T supposed to clean my gold coins with Ajax and sandpaper? Sheesk I wish I'd known that before. Oh well, I'll use my bead-blaster next time. Thanx for the heads up! :laughing7:

Tom,

You're giving me nightmares remembering my early days. My dad gave me my first Morgan silver dollar (an 1886-O) when I was around 10 years old. It was "tarnished and dirty," so I cleaned it with hot water and comet, over and over, again. He told me I was ruining the value, but it just didn't sink in. Now I wish he'd been more forceful with his advise. Today, the coin (now retoned) sets in my collection right next to countless other Morgans, but it still haunts me to think about the comet days.

TCK

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I'm one of those like jerseyben.. I thought The op was simply a link to a listing for a coin. I must be pretty dense, because I never caught the idea you were trying to point out the ignorance of improper cleaning techniques.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well,I am sorry I didnt elaborate and have wasted all of your time....sheesh,I was merely trying to pass on a situation that I thought would save somebody some heart break some day.All I get back is chastised and smart azz remarks?Nice.....rub away if you ever are so lucky!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom,

You're giving me nightmares remembering my early days. My dad gave me my first Morgan silver dollar (an 1886-O) when I was around 10 years old. It was "tarnished and dirty," so I cleaned it with hot water and comet, over and over, again. He told me I was ruining the value, but it just didn't sink in. Now I wish he'd been more forceful with his advise. Today, the coin (now retoned) sets in my collection right next to countless other Morgans, but it still haunts me to think about the comet days.

TCK

Coin-kid, reminds me of the first IH I ever found as a kid, with my first metal detector. That was about 1978 or so. So what did I do? I brought it home, looked through my mom and dad's various household cleaning supplies. Saw a container of "Brasso". In my brilliant youthfull inteligence, reasoned that copper (of the penny) and brass were similar metals, so that this would be great to clean my IH. By the time I was done, I had a very bright smooth polished IH. (every bit as bright as a zinc penny fresh off the assembly line) with all the high spot detailed polished right off it. Because brass polish contains abrasives :)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
well,I am sorry I didnt elaborate and have wasted all of your time....sheesh,I was merely trying to pass on a situation that I thought would save somebody some heart break some day.All I get back is chastised and smart azz remarks?Nice.....rub away if you ever are so lucky!

kuger,

Well, I got your message! The coin in the Thread starter, is a prime example of how to destroy the value of a coin by cleaning, especially an extremely rare coin. It would have been better to have had the coin conserved by NCS before it was certified, grade and slabbed by NGC. Although the Seller of the coin states that he or she can see no evidence of the improper cleaning, I sure can. There are several lighter spots on the Obverse and one on the Reverse where someone removed some dirt or grime spots which had kept the surface of the coin under the spots from turning the deeper golden color and these spots can be easily seen in the pics. Also, I must say that the NGC Graders were being generous to the coin in giving it a AU Details grade, due to all of the nicks, dents and scratches, IMHO it should not net grade above an EF-40 but due the rarity of the coin itself, the Graders apparently gave it a bump!

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
kuger,

Well, I got your message! The coin in the Thread starter, is a prime example of how to destroy the value of a coin by cleaning, especially an extremely rare coin. It would have been better to have had the coin conserved by NCS before it was certified, grade and slabbed by NGC. Although the Seller of the coin states that he or she can see no evidence of the improper cleaning, I sure can. There are several lighter spots on the Obverse and one on the Reverse where someone removed some dirt or grime spots which had kept the surface of the coin under the spots from turning the deeper golden color and these spots can be easily seen in the pics. Also, I must say that the NGC Graders were being generous to the coin in giving it a AU Details grade, due to all of the nicks, dents and scratches, IMHO it should not net grade above an EF-40 but due the rarity of the coin itself, the Graders apparently gave it a bump!

Frank

I would love to know how NCS can conserve a coin that has already been improperly cleaned?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Kuger, take it easy...

No one is taking away from your advice about not cleaning rare coins. Also no one accused you of wasting their time. Your original intended point has been made.

For the future, please provide some sort of an explanation (even 1 sentence) with your posts. I think that will save everyone the confusion of trying to figure out what the intention of your original post was. We are not mind readers.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
improperly cleaned or not, I'd love to add one of those to my treasure chest.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger, take it easy...

No one is taking away from your advice about not cleaning rare coins. Also no one accused you of wasting their time. Your original intended point has been made.

For the future, please provide some sort of an explanation (even 1 sentence) with your posts. I think that will save everyone the confusion of trying to figure out what the intention of your original post was. We are not mind readers.
You are right.Thanks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to know how NCS can conserve a coin that has already been improperly cleaned?

What I meant was "It would have been better to have had the coin conserved by NCS instead of cleaned by the Seller or whoever it was that cleaned it before it was certified, grade and slabbed by NGC."! However, I did not relay that message correctly in my' posting.

Frank

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many u-tube videos I've seen where they get all excited about a really old silver, rub it vigorously and you can actually hear "scratch, scratch" with the volume turned up.
I thought this was a common mistake made by noobs but nope, many "veterans" still rub their coins in the field!
I wouldn't be very exciting to watch 'cause all my silver goes into the capsule with big clumps of mud still intact.
A lot of times I don't even know the date until I get home.
Nice that you're looking out for us all Kuger.:thumbsup:
Thanks!
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread