In Cape Girardeau MO

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I am trying to locate some Civil War sites that are accesible near Southeast Missouri for a friend and I to hunt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know there were several places around Cape Girardeau, but access seems tough. Maybe, I am just not good at doing research. I would appreciate any help you all could offer. You don't have to dig for me too, just share some knowledge. :P

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I hunt civil war throughout Southeast and Central Missouri. You shouldn't have any problem finding a place to hunt. Try Whitewater Bridge, Dallas (Marble Hill); Bloomfield; New Madrid; to name a few. I have found minnies all over those areas.

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I have noticed a rich civil war history in Cape Girardeau even, but how do you know where to start? Do you all just knock on doors and get permission in likely areas or what?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You need to do a lot of research. There is a site called "Civil War in Missouri" start there and see what you find. Google civil war and missouri together and see what you find.

Cape Girardeau is too grown over to really find anything. You need to get out from Cape and find some other sites. Try Commerce. Lots of troops there.

Knocking on doors works sometimes. I prefer places where I don't have to knock on doors. Knocking on doors is only a last resort. Troops traveled and camped all over Missouri. Many of these places are in the woods where it basically comes down to "who do you ask".

I have talked to hundreds of local residents all over the State. Many of the older persons can tell you more than you will ever find in a book. Information was passed down to them from their family. Find an area where you know there were camps, troops, or action and go there and ask the older people. Most older people are very nice if approached properly. I always start off with an apology for bothering them, then tell them who I am and what I am doing and then ask them if they have any information. Introduction is the main tool of getting information out of people. If there are signs up you can still go on and ask. People do not want trespassers without their knowledge, but if you go up and ask them they may be fine, although they may not let you on their property. In most instances, if I meet an ---hole and they start hollering at me I holler right back at them. Sometimes this works and after a few minutes we start talking, this has worked on many occasions.

Remember many old roads that were in use during the Civil War are directly underneath the newer roads. The old houses you see alongside roads and highways were built along a used road. The bridges you cross on these old roads are usually the old fords. Fords flooded and troops had to camp to wait for the water to recede.

I have hunted civil war for over 30 years and have a large collection from Missouri. When I first went to Fort Davidson I filled up a bag with exploded cannonballs, grape shot and even a unexploded hotchkiss shell. I found a place near Poplar Bluff a few years back where there was a skirmish and the stuff was everywhere.

It's out there. Its in Missouri.

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
jhettel said:
You need to do a lot of research. There is a site called "Civil War in Missouri" start there and see what you find. Google civil war and missouri together and see what you find.

Cape Girardeau is too grown over to really find anything. You need to get out from Cape and find some other sites. Try Commerce. Lots of troops there.

Knocking on doors works sometimes. I prefer places where I don't have to knock on doors. Knocking on doors is only a last resort. Troops traveled and camped all over Missouri. Many of these places are in the woods where it basically comes down to "who do you ask".

I have talked to hundreds of local residents all over the State. Many of the older persons can tell you more than you will ever find in a book. Information was passed down to them from their family. Find an area where you know there were camps, troops, or action and go there and ask the older people. Most older people are very nice if approached properly. I always start off with an apology for bothering them, then tell them who I am and what I am doing and then ask them if they have any information. Introduction is the main tool of getting information out of people. If there are signs up you can still go on and ask. People do not want trespassers without their knowledge, but if you go up and ask them they may be fine, although they may not let you on their property. In most instances, if I meet an ---hole and they start hollering at me I holler right back at them. Sometimes this works and after a few minutes we start talking, this has worked on many occasions.

Remember many old roads that were in use during the Civil War are directly underneath the newer roads. The old houses you see alongside roads and highways were built along a used road. The bridges you cross on these old roads are usually the old fords. Fords flooded and troops had to camp to wait for the water to recede.

I have hunted civil war for over 30 years and have a large collection from Missouri. When I first went to Fort Davidson I filled up a bag with exploded cannonballs, grape shot and even a unexploded hotchkiss shell. I found a place near Poplar Bluff a few years back where there was a skirmish and the stuff was everywhere.

It's out there. Its in Missouri.

jhettel,
Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. I guess I am trying to make this too hard. I try to do research yet I am just having a hard time nailing down a certain spot. I guess I will just have to swing a detector over some likely researched spots and if it coughs up something, I will know I am getting warm. Thanks again for your time and tips. I have found nothing so far, so anything is a help.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I will be glad to help you. We are all looking for that certain spot that is full of relics, and, they are out there. If you are near Cape then I would try Marble Hill, Mo. and Whitewater, Mo. for starters. Marble Hill had a lot of troops. Also, go down to Commerce which also is close by. There were a lot of troops dropped off from steamboats at Commerce and they had to camp in the area. There is an old Christmas tree farm near Commerce and that is where they supposedly camped, but the owner is kind of an ass. He asked me for a resume'. Who ever heard of using a resume' to look for stuff with a detector.

When you finally find a minnie ball stay in the area and look hard. When I find one, I usually find a few more.

Keep in touch, send me a personal e-mail.

J

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
Missouri is a great place, thinking of retiring down there. Great info. Do you go as a group or a club down there? My only problem is its 6hrs away, plus I have so little time for research.

Frank

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a Link for some History from just across the River from Cape Girardeau Mo.,very Close to you, it seems that Mounds IL. & Cairo Had alot going on during the Civil War. Shipyards etc, Should produce some good hunting areas for Civil War Relics.

http://www.southernmostillinoishistory.net/civilwar.htm
Les

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birds Point, in Missouri just across the mississippi from Cairo IL. was a union army Camp during the Civil War & a Rail transfer point afterwards up until 1908. That Spot is Very Close to Cape.
Les

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
FrankTM said:
Missouri is a great place, thinking of retiring down there. Great info. Do you go as a group or a club down there? My only problem is its 6hrs away, plus I have so little time for research.

Frank

Frank,
Unfortunately, I know of no clubs around Cape Girardeau. There was one in place by a local Whites dealer, but he was robbed after a write up on some of his club finds and then the group disbanded. Sad.... If you move here and need someone to hunt with...send me a PM. I'll hunt with you.
BB

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
les said:
Birds Point, in Missouri just across the mississippi from Cairo IL. was a union army Camp during the Civil War & a Rail transfer point afterwards up until 1908. That Spot is Very Close to Cape.
Les

Cool. I will check it out Les. Thanks a lot.

T

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
Baldingboy said:
FrankTM said:

Frank

Frank,
Unfortunately, I know of no clubs around Cape Girardeau. There was one in place by a local Whites dealer, but he was robbed after a write up on some of his club finds and then the group disbanded. Sad.... If you move here and need someone to hunt with...send me a PM. I'll hunt with you.
BB

I actually try ot get down there every so often and am looking to hopefully buy some land down yonder. Where are you at?

Frank

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Baldingboy said:
superduty said:
Ft. Davidson near Ironton

Thanks Superduty.

Is a protected site now and they won't let you near it. My mom told me a guy she worked with went down there one Saturday with his detector and ended up with a $500 fine! Don't do it, it isn't worth it. Most of the poperty owned around there is owned by older people as they move off and or die more areas to detect open up. Sometimes going back and asking permission of a new owner will work.

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys: I found some info on a Cape Girardea battle,,

Cape Girardeau, MO.,
April 26, 1863.

Marmaduke's Missouri Expedition.

On the morning of the 24th scouts brought the word to Cape
Girardeau that Gen. Marmaduke was approaching with a force of
about 8,000 men. The garrison there at that time consisted of
350 men of the 1st Neb. infantry, one company of the 1st Wis.
Cavalry, Battery D, 2nd Mo. and Welfley's battery. That
evening Brig.-Gen. John McNeil arrived with reinforcements, and
assumed Command.

Col. Baumer, commanding the garrison, had made preparations to
meet the advancing enemy outside the works and when overpowered
to fall back to fort B, thence to fort A, which was strong
enough to withstand almost any attack that could be made.
McNeil approved this plan and accordingly two companies of the
1st Neb., Three of the 32nd IA.,and 2 guns of Welfley's battery
were stationed on the Perryville road north of the fort; five
companies of the Nebraska regiment, with 4 guns of Welfley's
battery, were placed on A Hill between the Bloomfield and
Jackson Roads commanding all approaches from the West.

The main attack was made about 1O a. m. on the 26th on the
Jackson Road. The enemy was checked by the fire of the pickets
who in obedience to orders, immediately fell back upon the
skirmish line. The battery on the Perryville road opened then
the guns on the Hill and finally the guns from fort B. The
position of the different batteries subjected the enemy to A
Cross-Fire of artillery, so well directed that to advance in
the face of it was impossible.

They then tried to attack the Union right flank on the
Perryville road, when Baumer hurried 2 pieces of artillery to A
Hill commanding the ground over which they must pass opened a
destructive fire and checked that movement. The Confederates
then turned their attention to the left flank, where the
Wisconsin troops dismounted and fought the enemy on foot, while
a battery of mountain howitzers did excellent service in
dislodging a battery of the enemy's.

The enemy now fell back all along the line, but the Federals
remained in position, momentarily expecting another attack.
Cannonading was continued from the Hill and fort B until 3 p.
m., when small detachments, sent out for the purpose, reported
that the Confederates had disappeared. Meantime Gen. Curtis
Sent down two steamers from St. Louis with reinforcements and
McNeil, expecting another attack next Day, called on Gen.
Asboth at Columbus, KY., for two regiments of infantry and a
field battery, which were sent to him on the morning of the
27th, but the Confederates made no further attempt on the
Place.

Confederates made no further attempt on the Place.

Source: The Union Army,

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
FrankTM said:
Baldingboy said:
FrankTM said:

Frank

Frank,
BB

I actually try ot get down there every so often and am looking to hopefully buy some land down yonder. Where are you at?

Frank

Cape Girardeau

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
les said:
Hi Guys: I found some info on a Cape Girardea battle,,

Cape Girardeau, MO.,
April 26, 1863.

Marmaduke's Missouri Expedition.

On the morning of the 24th scouts brought the word to Cape
Girardeau that Gen. Marmaduke was approaching with a force of
about 8,000 men. The garrison there at that time consisted of
350 men of the 1st Neb. infantry, one company of the 1st Wis.
Cavalry, Battery D, 2nd Mo. and Welfley's battery. That
evening Brig.-Gen. John McNeil arrived with reinforcements, and
assumed Command.

Col. Baumer, commanding the garrison, had made preparations to
meet the advancing enemy outside the works and when overpowered
to fall back to fort B, thence to fort A, which was strong
enough to withstand almost any attack that could be made.
McNeil approved this plan and accordingly two companies of the
1st Neb., Three of the 32nd IA.,and 2 guns of Welfley's battery
were stationed on the Perryville road north of the fort; five
companies of the Nebraska regiment, with 4 guns of Welfley's
battery, were placed on A Hill between the Bloomfield and
Jackson Roads commanding all approaches from the West.

The main attack was made about 1O a. m. on the 26th on the
Jackson Road. The enemy was checked by the fire of the pickets
who in obedience to orders, immediately fell back upon the
skirmish line. The battery on the Perryville road opened then
the guns on the Hill and finally the guns from fort B. The
position of the different batteries subjected the enemy to A
Cross-Fire of artillery, so well directed that to advance in
the face of it was impossible.

They then tried to attack the Union right flank on the
Perryville road, when Baumer hurried 2 pieces of artillery to A
Hill commanding the ground over which they must pass opened a
destructive fire and checked that movement. The Confederates
then turned their attention to the left flank, where the
Wisconsin troops dismounted and fought the enemy on foot, while
a battery of mountain howitzers did excellent service in
dislodging a battery of the enemy's.

The enemy now fell back all along the line, but the Federals
remained in position, momentarily expecting another attack.
Cannonading was continued from the Hill and fort B until 3 p.
m., when small detachments, sent out for the purpose, reported
that the Confederates had disappeared. Meantime Gen. Curtis
Sent down two steamers from St. Louis with reinforcements and
McNeil, expecting another attack next Day, called on Gen.
Asboth at Columbus, KY., for two regiments of infantry and a
field battery, which were sent to him on the morning of the
27th, but the Confederates made no further attempt on the
Place.

Confederates made no further attempt on the Place.

Source: The Union Army,

Cool read. Thanks Les for providing this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread