goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow treasure hunter drowned yesterday while metal detecting at Caseville Beach in the Thumb of Michigan

"CASEVILLE, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a 39-year-old Wixom man who was wading while using a metal detector to search for valuables has drowned in Saginaw Bay at the Caseville County Park beach.

The Huron County sheriff's department says Thomas E. Weaver drowned Saturday. The department says Weaver was wading in about 4 feet of water when he called for help several times and went under the water.

The Bay City Times reports about 100 people formed a human chain to walk through the water after Weaver disappeared.

The sheriff's department says Weaver was found about 20 minutes after he went under and was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Caseville County Park is located in Huron County in Michigan's Thumb region, about 110 miles north of Detroit."

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8624626

I frequent this beach and have probably talked to him. Hopefully, we can learn from his mistake and stick a little closer to shore

angel_detector.jpg

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wixom man drowns while metal detecting at beach

Wixom man drowns at Caseville County Park beach
Associated Press
CASEVILLE, Mich. -- Authorities say a 39-year-old Wixom man who was wading while using a metal detector to search for valuables has drowned in Saginaw Bay at the Caseville County Park beach.

The Huron County sheriff's department says Thomas E. Weaver drowned Saturday. The department says Weaver was wading in about 4 feet of water when he called for help several times and went under the water.

The Bay City Times reports about 100 people formed a human chain to walk through the water after Weaver disappeared.

The sheriff's department says Weaver was found about 20 minutes after he went under and was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Caseville County Park is located in Huron County in Michigan's Thumb region, about 110 miles north of Detroit.

Ross(SE-MI)

Greenie
Oct 31, 2003
Warren,MI
Detector(s) used
ExplorerII & XLT (land) Excalibur II & BHID(water)
Re: Wixom man drowns while metal detecting at beach

Hi all,
Tom was one of my best buddies. I new him for over 5 years and detected with him 50 % of the time on land and in the water. I only wish yesterday was one of those times.

Here is what I posted on my forum:

It is with regret that I post this today.

Story posted here: http://blog.mlive.com/bctimes/2008/07/wixom_man_drowns_near_casevill.html
Further info will be posted when I receive it.

My very good friend for the last 5 years Tom Weaver "migolddigger" as known here on the forum passed away yesterday.
I heard the news yesterday at about 2:00PM while out detecting with Robert, Randy and John.
I am at a total loss for words and still in a bit of shock.

Tom was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He represented the soul of this hobby. He joined the Michigan Treasure Hunters club about 5 years ago shortly after finding us on the web. Since then, he has helped numerous new members learn the hobby and how to use their new machines. Sometimes even loaning them his own equipment if needed. He participated in all aspects of the club, putting on several hunts, assisting in monthly job functions at the meetings and was a board member for one year. If you needed a hunting buddy, all you had to do was to call him. He would be there or take you to where ever you wanted to go. Tom's generosity was 2nd to none. He would literally give you the shirt off his back.

Over the past 5 years I personally got to know his two children Megan and Zack, also his fiancée Peggy Collins. It deepens my heart to know of their loss. Keep them in your prayers.

Tom was one of a kind, a true friend and someone I will never forget. He was known to find many treasures but he had the greatest of all, his heart. I'll miss him.

Ross Soderberg

Picture Links: http://greatlakesmetaldetecting.com/phpBB3/download/tom.jpg and http://greatlakesmetaldetecting.com/phpBB3/download/tom2.jpg

Viewing and Funeral Services for Tom
See this link: http://www.sparksgriffin.com/# -------- "Thomas E. Weaver - Details"
Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home111 E Flint St
Lake Orion, MI 48362
Phone# 1-248-693-8336

or

Name:
Thomas E. Weaver

Date:
May 10th, 1969 - July 5th, 2008

Obituary:
WEAVER, THOMAS E. July 5, 2008, Age 39 of Wixom. Loving father of Zachary Thomas Weaver and Megan Lynn Weaver. Dear son of Andrea and Lorne Weaver. Beloved Fiance` of Peggy Collins. Dear brother of Deborah(Ron) Bentley, Lorne(Lea) and Ronald (Debi). Ex-husband of Sherry Weaver. Also survived by many nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins. Mr. Weaver was a member of the Michigan Treasure Hunters, the Gold Prospectors and a Veteran of the United States Marine Corp serving during 1992-97. He was the Captain of Team USA Marine Golf Team and was the Marine Golf Champion in 1996. When Mr. Weaver found someone else’s lost article he did his best in returning that to the rightful owner. Funeral service Tuesday 8pm at the Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home. Family will receive friends Tuesday 3-5 and 7-9 pm. Memorial contributions may be directed to The Scholarship Fund for Zachary and Megan Weaver. Interment Great Lakes National Cemetery. A Guest Reflection can be made @ http://www.sparksgriffin.com

Memorials:
The Zachary & Megan Weaver Scholarship Fund

Visitations:
3:00PM to 5:00PM on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 at Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home

7:00PM to 9:00PM on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 at Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home

Services:
In-state at 7:00PM, Service at 8:00PM at Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008

Cemetery:
Great Lakes National Cemetery
4200 Belford Road
Holly, MI 48442

Already several of us from here have made plans to be at the Tuesday viewing from 7-9.

Note: Memorials:
The Zachary & Megan Weaver Scholarship Fund

Peggy asked me to post info on the Scholarship Fund.
Any contributions should be directed as mentioned in above link or checks made out to Peggy Collins (note Zachary & Megan Weaver Scholarship Fund on the check)
If you would prefer, contributions can be sent to me and I will see that they are given to Peggy.

Ross Soderberg
29429 W Nottingham Cir
Warren, MI. 48092

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_pale:

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT

A Sad day indeed, I hope someone posts a few more details as to what exactly happened. there is always something to learn from this kind of horrible accident.

I think a 21 detector salute is in order

DTM

skispeed69

Apr 2, 2007
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Drowned in the pursuit of treasure

So does anyone know what happened? I mean he is only a year older then I am so his age should not of been an issue. Please don't tell me he could not swimm. Might of been a current that took him under. In that case It could happen to anyone.

SKi...

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The theory on the shallow water board is that his waders flooded

HH
-GC

skispeed69

Apr 2, 2007
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, that really sucks. Of all the things to get you. :-[

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

I hate hearing things like this. I've been to this beach quite a few times.

Thanks for posting, goldencoin.

DM

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

thanks for the pic

I have been praying for his fiance, kids and family. Very hard :(

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III

Semper Fi Marine- Gods Speed
My heart felt sympthy to the family and friends We will be praying for you. From a Marineissuemom.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

praying for his family, kids and fiance, tough on them all

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I Have recommended a banner spot for Tom's picture. You should all do the same.

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gods Speed Marine.... Semper Fi my brother.

My condolences to the family and friends. They are in my prayers.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My condolences. Great Mates don't come cheap.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread