πŸ₯‡ BANNER Incredible once in a lifetime find form England

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a trip to England to go detecting. We hunted alot of fields and did alot of walking in those 5 days or so. Lots of wind and rain, but my luck held out. I was walking the edge of a field and looked down while detecting. Not sure if I hit this with my detector and then looked down, or just looked down. Sticking out of the dirt was this weird shiney object. Thought it was a piece of trash till I picked it up. I looked at it and it looked like a gold swizzle stick for a cocktail. BUT, I knew it was gold, so I called over to the rest of the group. "I found BIG gold", to which the reply came back, "what, a coin?", "No", "a ring?", "No, It is about 6 inches long and twisted". "I'll be right over!!". Turns out this piece is a GOLD piece of a possible BRONZE AGE 1200-1300 B.C. Torc belt.
Somewhere in that field we suspect there may be another 18 inches of that Torc. I left it in England to be evaluated for Treasure Trove. As this is a piece of UK history, it would be nice to see it in a museum over there. Nothing can ever match up to finding a piece like this!

Attachments

• 20191010_213252.jpg
    20191010_213252.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 4,188
  • 20191010_213345.jpg
    20191010_213345.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 3,538
  • 20191007_195800.jpg
    20191007_195800.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 3,665
Upvote 111

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people may not get the significance of a find of Bronze Age Gold, it is a find of a life time, like you state. Forget the other bit, I bet they are thinking a small deposit. ie. more than 1 item! That would be good for you as it still counts towards this find. Fingers crossed.

PS. Treasure Trove doesn't exist anymore that was the old Law.(old speak) It's counted as Treasure under the terms of the 1996 Treasure Act.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will keep & pay out on this one.:occasion14: (in about 18 months time)

PS. Just voted BANNER

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think finding and get to keep it would be more than a match. HH

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is incredible, congrats :icon_thumleft:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bronze age gold is about the rarest of the rare. Most people doesn't even know what a torc is. Big congrats on a wonderful find! My vote is in too. We may never see another one here.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is
what
the whole piece would look like as a belt.

www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/45033

It is actually about 8 inches long and weighs around 33 grams.

HOLY SH!T - That would be so weird to wear, but being gold, i bet it would shape nicely around a figure - What an amazing find and I hope you can go back and recover the rest. Maybe its down the bank or elsewhere near by. My best of luck!

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are probably pounding that site as we speak. When our group left the first thing the new group did was ask to hunt that place first. I am satisfied with this. I hope somebody else finds that other piece. That would be so cool to put the two together again. Well, this field will be plowed again in the future and maybe it will turn up if it hasnt been somehow removed with the stubble.

One place I read about the torc, they said royalty used to wear these. They would go into battle completely naked except wearing their gold torc(s) and a spear. Fierce warriors or just plain stupid. Certainly intimidating for others.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Dave! Next time we're on a field in England together, I'll ask you which way you're going.....and then jump ahead of you! :laughing7: My banner vote is in.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are probably pounding that site as we speak. When our group left the first thing the new group did was ask to hunt that place first. I am satisfied with this. I hope somebody else finds that other piece. That would be so cool to put the two together again. Well, this field will be plowed again in the future and maybe it will turn up if it hasnt been somehow removed with the stubble.

One place I read about the torc, they said royalty used to wear these. They would go into battle completely naked except wearing their gold torc(s) and a spear. Fierce warriors or just plain stupid. Certainly intimidating for others.
Naked except for their war paint that they believe protected them.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Find!

True Treasure!

treasure.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding and historical find, congrats! :notworthy:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! That’s an incredible piece of 3000+ year old GOLD. Very interesting and significant find. Congratulations, and I’m hitting the banner button.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing your second gold post I had to look up your first post and find out what the gold torc was all about. AWESOME and noteworthy Bronze Age Gold find! :notworthy:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh yes. That's as good as it gets in metal detecting, pretty much anywhere in the world. Congratulations on phenomenal lifetime find! Banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread