Incredible Weekend with OutdoorAdv....1653 Copper, War of 1812 Buttons, Shoe Buckle,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer has been a tough one so far with a ridiculous work load and zero time to do much hunting. This weekend I got a rare opportunity to get out for a couple days. My boss told me to take Friday off and relax for a weekend. I asked Brad (OutdoorAdv) if he wanted to come up. It's a 10 hour drive so I never expected he'd be able to. Amazingly he's working in Ct next week so he was able to come up on Friday and we hunted the hell out of a few of my spots. Let me start by saying that Brad is a GREAT GUY!!!! Genuine and respectful and has a level of respect for history that is rarely seen. I have to say that I was a bit nervous and really wanted him to have a great experience here in Maine. He showed up with an killer electrolysis setup that he built for me. He also brought some gear for pit digging which I've always wanted to try. Now for the hunt. Friday we went to an area that contains 4 colonial cabin sites that were settled for a short time. None of these have cellar holes and they are all virgin. If not for a small iron patch you would never know there was ever a home there. The first site was one that I have hammered to death. Brad found one keeper there and Abe found nothing if I remember correctly. The next site gave up a few random keepers. The third was one that I'd never found before. I walked directly into an iron patch and quickly dug a complete pewter rat tail spoon. I dug a set of links right next to the spoon. About 40' away I found a really nice complete shoe buckle. I also dug two fragments of a pewter shoe buckle. These babies don't show up too often. On the way back to the truck we stopped at a small cabin site that I'd briefly detected before. This is where my find of the weekend came. I got a great high tone right on the edge of the old road. Out came a copper coin that looked like it had lots of designs and detail. I didn't think much of it until I got it home.
Day two was a trip to my War of 1812 site. We dug a pit that I had found and also did a lot of detecting. The pit gave up a few cool pieces of ceramic and also a couple of buttons. The detecting was a whole different ballgame. Brad found a small 20'x20' patch and we collectively dug 9 marked pewters I believe. Brad dug a pile of em. It was awesome. I was and am still so happy that he got all of those awesome early military buttons. I was happier seeing his excitement then I was to dig one myself. It was an amazing day!!!!
Last night ended with about 8 lbs of sushi and pewter button cleaning. Today ended with massive lobster rolls. In between all of this Brad showed me how to do the electrolysis. We chose a couple ugly pieces of rusty iron to do. I am shocked at how great these ax heads came out. After the electrolysis he waxed them for me. They are incredible....and I have a pile of rusty iron ready for the tank.
I can't begin to express how much fun I had this weekend. A great person to hunt with, some amazing finds and some great food. Perfect I say.
Now for the finds. I really would like more info on this coin. From what I understand it's related to King Philip iv. It's Spanish and the is counter marked with the BX. I can't find much info at all but would love to know more. This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found. The detail is fantastic on it. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This shoe buckle has a great story. I found the big fragments a couple months ago. Friday Brad dug another piece and I dug another piece. Amazingly when we got home the pieces all fit together to form a complete frame.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
War of 1812 Finds. Brad crushed me at this site 8-)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
These 1600s items were found a few weeks ago.banither Latten spoon and a great marked pipe stem that's quite early. I was able to find the mark
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
The electrolysis/wax items
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pit ceramics
image.jpeg

Upvote 48

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a heck of a thread, you guys had a great weekend. Where do I start, the copper is a really good find, the buttons, the buckles...the spoons lol! I'm also really liking how the axe heads came out, they are beautiful. Nice job dude!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lost for words! Fantastic hunt, congratulations! :notworthy:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What an incredibly fun and productive weekend you guys had, and thanks for keeping me in the loop. I thought we had that coin ID'd as a copper cob, but after seeing the back I have no clue. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. And great job on all those other early relics, especially that crude pewter rat tail spoon which is my favorite. And I'll certainly second the motion about Brad being a great guy. They don't come any better than him, and his generosity and willingness to help are second to none. We're both very privileged to have him for a friend. Congrats again on all the outstanding assortment of early relics.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you guys had an awesome hunt! Brad bringing you an electrolysis system was a fantastic gesture. Very cool.
Congratulations on a great time.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys flat out killed it!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buh,,buh...buh banner !

Well done Ahab... long time since a finds post for you... bout time. :P

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible Weekend with OutdoorAdv....1653 Copper, War of 1812 Buttons, Shoe ...

That's a pretty awesome weekend, and I must say I'm a bit jealous! Of the countless correspondences with you two guys, I've yet to meet either one of you. Hopefully that'll change soon. I'm glad you think brad is an OK guy...I wasn't sure lol.

Now, Abe, you always have at least one glamorous find on any given post, and you didn't disappoint. That copper is absolutely incredible!!!

I am believer in the banner system insomuch as it displays unusual and seldom found items, and yours fits both criteria. Therefore I think your copper cob is VERY much worthy.

I am voting it up top because it's awesome, and I like awesome...

I see Spanish Silver cobs all the time, but cannot remember seeing this copper type since becoming a member, or before that. Counter stamp? Even more awesome!!!

Congrats buddy, but I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've said it at least a dozen times, and I'll say it again, thanks a ton buddy for an awesome weekend. The best part for me was watching The Abe in his natural habitat.... digging complete shoe buckles and killer complete rattail spoons. Haha Seeing you pull that mystery copper and revealing a 1650's date on it was incredible. Just being there when relics like that come out of the dirt is as good as it gets. I think that pit has a lot of surprises for you too. Looking forward to seeing you process that backlog of iron through electrolysis now... it's addicting! I'll get my post up this evening.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A really nice array of early finds. That coin is extremely unique and one I've never seen. Overall sounds like a killer weekend. Hope your pit ends up producing, that is an amazing era for early military finds. Once you have a good day sifting you will be hooked. Can't wait to see the next post.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds Abe! Your a great friend. Glad to see you back I really enjoy your posts!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Weekend with OutdoorAdv....1653 Copper, War of 1812 Buttons, Shoe ...

I'm speeches...... Incredible, just incredible, spanning the ages with those finds. What an awesome hunt, thanks for sharing all that history with us.
Congrats and HH

Last edited:

Ridirtdigger

Greenie
Oct 28, 2014
South County, RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Looks like I was not the only one to find a 1600's Spanish copper this past week. Love the rat tail spoon ,you so rarely seen them come out complete. Overall great hunt!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ABEsolutely gorgeous finds brother!!!!! The complete shoe buckle and rat tail are my favorites, and a rat tail is definitely at the top of my list to find!!! Killer hunt my friend!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great early copper and some great relics, congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread