Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went back to a site that we pounded with the XP Deus HF Elliptical Coil and Equinox to use the new XP Deus II 9" Coil. A very short hunt produced a year maker- Irish Jasper Greens Confederate Button.

Here is some information about this militia group:

Before the Civil War, there was a growing population of Irish immigrants coming to Savannah in search of work. To help them feel more a part of their new home, many of these young Irish men got together, and in 1842 they formed their own military unit.

The Irish Jasper Greens, named for Sgt. William Jasper, a Revolutionary War hero during the Siege of Savannah, were officially recognized by the state in February 1843. Soon after, they were chosen to represent Georgia during the Mexican-American War in 1846. With no army existing in the South, once Georgia seceded from the Union, these battle-tested veterans promptly volunteered for duty.

Video link is below.

2022-02-19 22.02.25.jpg
2022-02-19 22.03.18.jpg

Here is historic photo of a few of the Greens:
1645444098035.png

This is what they would have looked like (from Don Troiani's Collection):

TCWSC58IrishJasperGreensCSAatFortPu_A3E6BFA6230C1.jpg

Here is the YouTube video showing the hunts:

Last edited:
Upvote 39

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to come hunt with you!!!! My banner vote is in as soon as I figure out how to do it!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I figured it out. No more banner voting per se. The likes one gives determines if a find makes the banner. I wish I could like it more!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell of a find my friend ! The Gods have shine upon you !

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I went back to a site that we pounded with the XP Deus HF Elliptical Coil and Equinox to use the new XP Deus II 9" Coil. A very short hunt produced a year maker- Irish Jasper Greens Confederate Button.

Video link is below.

View attachment 2011338 View attachment 2011339

Very nice ! I'm waiting on my XP Dues 2 ! Was told it could be up to 2 months before they have them on the shelf! Oh the anticipation is killing me!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful accomplishment

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome, rare, and interesting button - Valuable too. Maybe you should edit your post to include a few background details on the button and military unit, as I am sure people would be interested. Congrats on a great find!

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Video link is below.

This had better not be your fourth honorable mention........ BANNER!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Video link is below.

Goodness gracious! What an awesome find! Congratulations and you need to hit it again!

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, congrats on your rare find.
But just a friendly FYI regarding that period photo you posted showing a few of the "Greens"....I can tell you with certainty that this particular shot is definitely POST Civil War. I would say it was probably taken in the 1880's or thereafter.
Why do I say this ? Because if you look closely, the soldiers are wearing cartridge belts typically worn during the Indian Wars period up until the Spanish American War. And the belts are fitted with a brass "H" buckle which would have been marked "US".
With that being said, if the Greens existed after the Civil War, I think they would have had to become a unit of the National Guard or possibly join the regular US Army

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread