indian paint rock so happy

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquired these beauties the other day had to share one is 31lbs and other is 17lbs IMG_20120711_140620.jpg IMG_20120711_140547.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is "Indian Paint rock"? Looks either like some kind of Rhyolite or chalcedony to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockhoundrich

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian paint rock is a sedementary rock. it is a sandstone found in Nevada and California. The interesting paterns and colors are created by trace amounts of iron and manganese being drawn into the rock by capilary action through minute cracks in the stone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockhoundrich

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can maybe see ryolite based on the pictures but chalcedony not a chance also it has a mohs of 3-3.5 which takes ryolite out also I know when where and by who it was collected

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, was not familiar with that term.
Yes, was just going by first impressions. Is that the weathered surface, or a freshly exposed surface we see?

A hardness of 3 - 3.5 also takes out sandstone.

Weathered "halleflint" can also resemble it.
But the hardness ruled out all above.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockhoundrich

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok after talking with a couple geologist friends they say it is concidered a type of jasper but the grains are so loose it has the aperance of having a lower mohs the light color is a sandstone sedimentary where the black is manganise red is iron there is varying hardness depending on where its scratched ive been working this type of stone for several years and have some smaller chunks left over from some of my sculpting the person that collected it got it from death valley ca back in the 70s but in 1992 the area was closed to collecting also ive heard that the area was almost completely hunted out some other deposits have been found but are few and far between and closely guarded due to its high price ive seen it selling on ebay for as much as $40 per pound for the higher quality material the term indian paint rock is a common name due to the color paterns not the actual name due to the many minerals that make up its composition

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jasper does not have any grains. Sandstone does.

Now, if they fall off when doing a hardness test I can see one can mistake it for having a lower hardness then it actually does.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks nice, better then I thought it would!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you use to polish it? Never cut it, so I'm curious. :)

Upvote 0

Sklybones

Nov 16, 2009
Hawthorne Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum xlt Minelab Xt 18000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some cool rock, And I know Iv'e walked over it a time or two and may even have some here at the house, Never thought to cut it, It didn't look like it would take a polish..Showed youre pics to my brother and we both agreed on where we had seen it, so we will be going to get some and see how it turns out...Thanks for your post and showing us what we've been overlooking

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
I am really amazed at this rock. Because of the colors in the rock, but also that is appears fairly easy to work. All your work has been both beautiful and unique.
How hard is it?
I have also seen rock similar to yours down here in Baja. Not sure if it is the same. But I plan on picking some up the next time I come across it and polishing it up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockhoundrich

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the compliment the hardness varies the grey/white areas are around a 3 the red is near 4 and the black is 5.5-6 making it a little difficult to work unless using diamond grinding wheels sometimes I prefer to work stone by hand but with the hardness variation it creates almost a 3D effect

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions