Indian trails

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Still looking for one to purchase
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you are asking?:dontknow:
I have been trying to find rough maps or anything about trails through my area and I’m not having luck didn’t know if I’m going about searching wrong or what

OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to find rough maps or anything about trails through my area and I’m not having luck didn’t know if I’m going about searching wrong or what
Indian trails sorry auto correct

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try any local or state historical societies. There are several state maps for Ohio, though I don't have one handy. There probably is one or more for w.Va.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for water sources, creeks streams and rivers, they camped close to water, especially any that are spring fed. They also liked to have wind breaks so valleys that have cliffs or hills to block the winter winds with a water source is what I looked for.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Maryland, the colonists generally used the existing Indian trails for their roads. THEN progress happened and the 20th century folks paved over the Indian and colonial trails and now we have PAVED Indian trails. Not a joke.

Along one wide state road here, there was a colonial road under it. We found colonial artifacts on high spots along a mile or so of the old road. And Indian artifacts in the same areas.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most ancient indigenous pathways across this whole country have been paved over and are now the major roadways we use today.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not Upshur drawn map(s) , but a mention of routes on page 27.

Local historical society as mentioned earlier would be a good idea.
Terrain (tree types , open ground prior now grown in ect.) makes it hard to just spot old trails in some areas. Plus time and new loam ect..

Study know trails. For the whys of thier routes. Your area should have had similar movement.
Between waters? Along lines with line of sights? E.-W. , N-.S.? Riverine lower areas?

OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for water sources, creeks streams and rivers, they camped close to water, especially any that are spring fed. They also liked to have wind breaks so valleys that have cliffs or hills to block the winter winds with a water source is what I looked for.
Thanks

OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Upshur drawn map(s) , but a mention of routes on page 27.

Local historical society as mentioned earlier would be a good idea.
Terrain (tree types , open ground prior now grown in ect.) makes it hard to just spot old trails in some areas. Plus time and new loam ect..

Study know trails. For the whys of thier routes. Your area should have had similar movement.
Between waters? Along lines with line of sights? E.-W. , N-.S.? Riverine lower areas?
Thanks

OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Maryland, the colonists generally used the existing Indian trails for their roads. THEN progress happened and the 20th century folks paved over the Indian and colonial trails and now we have PAVED Indian trails. Not a joke.

Along one wide state road here, there was a colonial road under it. We found colonial artifacts on high spots along a mile or so of the old road. And Indian artifacts in the same areas.
Thanks

OP
OP
H

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Most ancient indigenous pathways across this whole country have been paved over and are now the major roadways we use today.
Yep, that was the case. The famous Post Road, running from Boston to New York, hugging the coast of Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic coast in RI and Ct., was a well worn Indian trail before it became the Post Rd.

Southern New England 17th century Indian trails and villages.

C8FAD8DF-64BA-44C1-B838-BE11A2C8BCCA.jpeg

Dylan Wheeler

Jul 10, 2022
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Nokta Gold Kruzer
Vanquish 440

Sad but true…I live on a state rd that was once known as “Warrior’s Path”, it was a Lenape trade route. Paved in the early 1900’s. Artifacts can be found along sides of the road sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread