Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The material appears to have 5 and 6 sided holes. That suggests modern manufacture. Is it made of plastic?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cartridge several weeks ago, but just discovered a surprise today! I was cleaning the dirt out of the cartridges I found at the old Fort site and discovered that this D.C. Co. 40-65 shell contained two swatches of what I believe is gauze. Thinking maybe part of a soldier's personal first aid kit, or? Any input is welcome.
Could it be bore patches stored in a used cartridge to stay dry? Transitional period..muzzle loaders to center fire?

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be bore patches stored in a used cartridge to stay dry? Transitional period..muzzle loaders to center fire?
I've been shooting muzzleloaders for years and the fabric seems like it would be too fragile for use as patches. Still, quite possible they just used what they had.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been shooting muzzleloaders for years and the fabric seems like it would be too fragile for use as patches. Still, quite possible they just used what they had.
Well it should be quite fragile after 156 years or so.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cartridge several weeks ago, but just discovered a surprise today! I was cleaning the dirt out of the cartridges I found at the old Fort site and discovered that this D.C. Co. 40-65 shell contained two swatches of what I believe is gauze. Thinking maybe part of a soldier's personal first aid kit, or? Any input is welcome.
Im thinking a civil war first aid kit would consist of a tourniquet primarily..maybe gauze to stuff a bullet wound.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
A simple test if you want to sacrifice a bit of the fabric: hold a match flame to a fragment. If it melts and then burns, it's plastic and modern. If it chars and starts to burn but doesn't melt, it's a natural finer like cotton or linen.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple test if you want to sacrifice a bit of the fabric: hold a match flame to a fragment. If it melts and then burns, it's plastic and modern. If it chars and starts to burn but doesn't melt, it's a natural finer like cotton or linen.
It chars and burns. Here's a close-up of the fabric.

Attachments

• 20211203_193011.jpeg
    20211203_193011.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: Fat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread