Indian waybill to Swift Mines (Revisited)

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could there be more to the crane story and we only have part of it. Odd that this article says white men being with Brant?

What if Brant was Mundy, and not German/Indian but French/Indian. These stories have too many parallels.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anything that resembles Indian stairsteps in the Caney area that would parallel the Swift Journal? Since I have no experience in the Caney area it would be good to note a list of landmarks that match and a list that do not match. This could be done by anyone who has walked or paddled the waybill.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Could there be more to the crane story and we only have part of it. Odd that this article says white men being with Brant?

Could the Little Sandy spoke of in this article actually be Paint Creek in Johnson Co. ?? Refer to post #70 of this thread for article . There was a Crane carving covered by water when they made Paintsville lake.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is worth...
Several cranes have been documented around the state, probably a territorial marker. There is supposed to be one on the Red River on a boulder near the mouth of Indian Creek. The one on Little Caney Creek, I recall someone saying another on either the Sandy or Kanawha River near a natural ford...possible one was mentioned on the Rockcastle fork of KY as well. Some link them directly to a chief Crane, I read somewhere that the markings were done by other tribes to warn them of being on 'enemy territory'. That seems like a large area for one tribe or subtribe or clan to claim! Boomer seemed to associate the crane carvings to being near mine locations. Like the 101 carvings, these have been associated with Swift legend either directly or indirectly. I don't have an opinion on it. I looked for the one on the Red river but have to assume the water was too high. Probably best to look by canoe or kayak? I think sometimes things are marked for more practical reasons...maybe the crane symbol is to mark the natural crossing/ford of the river, after all, cranes are always found standing in shallow water.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it is worth...
Several cranes have been documented around the state, probably a territorial marker. There is supposed to be one on the Red River on a boulder near the mouth of Indian Creek. The one on Little Caney Creek, I recall someone saying another on either the Sandy or Kanawha River near a natural ford...possible one was mentioned on the Rockcastle fork of KY as well. Some link them directly to a chief Crane, I read somewhere that the markings were done by other tribes to warn them of being on 'enemy territory'. That seems like a large area for one tribe or subtribe or clan to claim! Boomer seemed to associate the crane carvings to being near mine locations. Like the 101 carvings, these have been associated with Swift legend either directly or indirectly. I don't have an opinion on it. I looked for the one on the Red river but have to assume the water was too high. Probably best to look by canoe or kayak? I think sometimes things are marked for more practical reasons...maybe the crane symbol is to mark the natural crossing/ford of the river, after all, cranes are always found standing in shallow water.

Can't speak for the rest of them, but the one on Paint Creek was between two cliffs that was some miles long. It was carved by some brave soul hanging from a rope or grape vine some 30/40 ft. of the ground. I would lean toward a territorial marker.

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crane at Caney is actually on the Little Sandy. Little Caney and big candy come together at the boat dock. They run together for a ways then meet the Little Sandy. The crane carving is or should say was located down stream on Little Sandy. It's almost gone, gotta use your imagination to make it out.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crane at Caney is actually on the Little Sandy. Little Caney and big candy come together at the boat dock. They run together for a ways then meet the Little Sandy. The crane carving is or should say was located down stream on Little Sandy. It's almost gone, gotta use your imagination to make it out.

That is probably what happened to the Crane Boomer told me about on Red River near the mouth of Indian Creek. Never have found it...might be faded away now... being in sandstone, I wonder if it is further down by the ford in the river...will have to check that out in warmer wading weather.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone posted any Jonathan Swift Initials with the date 1767? I have been in awe of a Jonathan Swift mine area. Every Stone mentioned by Swift are were they are supposed to be. There is even two stones leaning up against each other of which they have been dragging logs through and under them. There is a three prong creek. I sure hope to search this area more. Yes the initials JS 1767 are there also. And silver crowns have been found dated 1692. Merry Christmas and a positive start for us all in the coming New Year.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to you & yorn...

Back at you Rebel. Still researching and having a Merry Good Time. I wish you and yours and everyone that reads this a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year filled with all our hopes and dreams.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone posted any Jonathan Swift Initials with the date 1767? I have been in awe of a Jonathan Swift mine area. Every Stone mentioned by Swift are were they are supposed to be. There is even two stones leaning up against each other of which they have been dragging logs through and under them. There is a three prong creek. I sure hope to search this area more. Yes the initials JS 1767 are there also. And silver crowns have been found dated 1692. Merry Christmas and a positive start for us all in the coming New Year.

Merry Christmas

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Franklin, sounds like you are on it. Please keep us updated on it, the two stones should give you location for almost everything else...you might have to do a lot of alignments and rereading but its not to hard.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow Franklin, sounds like you are on it. Please keep us updated on it, the two stones should give you location for almost everything else...you might have to do a lot of alignments and rereading but its not to hard.
LMFAO........:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread