mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone has used the inflatable life jacket. The reason I am asking is that I was out detecting in a small pond and stepped off into the deep end and that is all that I remember until I was in the ambulanced and they was telling me to open my eyes and to stay with them. My wife has asked me to get a life jacket so we are going to look for one at Bass Pro this weekend. So I was just wondering how they was can they be used over is it gets inflated or is it a one time thing. Thanks Matt

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of styles of life jackets.
Just get one for your comfort and style...
Don't get the inflatable... standard jet ski jacket neoprene should be fine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PFD's come in many styles from automatic inflated type to ones where you pull a trip cord to inflate. You can buy extra CO2 cartridges. I sometimes wear one from Bass Pro Shop which is a short drive.:thumbsup:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
My auto inflatable got wet and inflated in my Kayak and wedged in where I had it tucked away. I had to wait two weeks for it to lose pressure so I could get it out. The damn thing cost $200.00 and now I've got to spend another $30 for a reactivation kit. It's hanging in my shed waiting for the new kit! LOL. Me thinks it can stay there. I've got lots of other life jackets...

Hi Sandman!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally... And not that anyone cares...

"auto" stuff really scares me when it comes to the difference between living and dying.

Air bags in cars have been around forever now... and they are beings recalled for fault...

Auto inflate life jackets have no "check"... no back up so to speak... and are not under the same standards as far as I know.

If it has a hole in in from the anchor in stow or fish hook... useless...
IF it has a "corroded" actuator... useless.
IF... so on.

I am one of those guys when it comes to "emergency" items... I will take the "real" one please...
Neat concept... great idea...
But why worry if it is going to "work" as designed.
I will take the one I know works...
Wont leave the dock on a "maybe its still good"... heh

My two cents anyway.

FiveBees

Greenie
Mar 15, 2015
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bandido II µMax, TigerShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several guys I duck hunt with have the inflatable ones and all love them. Most of them have the type where you pull a handle, so you have to be conscious to use it. Another choice for freedom of motion might be a kayaking style. I'm going over to the inflatable side when waterfowl season starts up.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You want a manual inflatable belt style. Auto inflate jackets have a habit of going off when you don't want them to.

If your not awake or alert enough to pull the cord, you won't remember your gurgle and drowning anyhow...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going by what you said in this thread and the other one I would get a regular life jacket. Only because automatics will inflate if submerged and can't be trusted, and because you mentioned that you fell in the hole and woke up in the ambulance. Not very quick on the draw in this situation so having to pull a cord would have done you no good. Glad your ok buddy!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several different life vests...
Each serves a purpose or situation...

West Marine... If you have those there... carries a good selection of jackets...
They have a West Marine brand one that is like a fishing vest...
I own one of these...
It has padded collar and reflective in the right areas on jacket...
It has a few good plastic zipper pockets etc...
Which I have packed with things like...
Flare gun and flares...
Small hand flare...
Small metal mirror...
Small folding knife...
And ahh.,.. cant remember... OH whistle... and 2 glow sticks.

This is my "oh crap we are going down" "abandon ship" vest...

I have one that has no pockets and is slim very tight neoprene...
It is actually a Jet Ski zip up...
But I can swim in it... TO GET YOU out of the water... and to PREVENT YOU from drowning me in the process.

And I own some for my girl (2)... my dogs... guests... 4 adult and 2 child.
All rigged with whistles.
Minus the dog jackets of course. :P

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Have two, wear most of the time, specially in new locations.. one is just a cheap old Bass Pro... the other is a manual inflate fishing vest. Has a blow tube I can blow to inflate as needed...never use the co2, it has saved me a few times... and I do wear the bass pro often, I like it because I bob the waves automatic and really don't have to watch them unless they are white caping.. OBN0457.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have two, wear most of the time, specially in new locations.. one is just a cheap old Bass Pro... the other is a manual inflate fishing vest. Has a blow tube I can blow to inflate as needed...never use the co2, it has saved me a few times... and I do wear the bass pro often, I like it because I bob the waves automatic and really don't have to watch them unless they are white caping.. View attachment 1185347

Too funny OBN...
I will take a pic of mine later...
The two jackets I use and spoke of earlier are the same 2 colors and similar types..... heh.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My auto inflatable got wet and inflated in my Kayak and wedged in where I had it tucked away. I had to wait two weeks for it to lose pressure so I could get it out. The damn thing cost $200.00 and now I've got to spend another $30 for a reactivation kit. It's hanging in my shed waiting for the new kit! LOL. Me thinks it can stay there. I've got lots of other life jackets...

Hi Sandman!

Hi John :hello:
That is why I don't like the automatic inflators.
Dennis

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

West Marine... If you have those there... carries a good selection of jackets...
I own one of these...
Flare gun and flares...
Small hand flare...
Small metal mirror...
Small folding knife...

But I can swim in it... TO GET YOU out of the water... and to PREVENT YOU from drowning me in the process.

And why haven't you taught those dogs to blow that whistle yet? Lol

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a manually inflatable divers vest, for several years for snorkeling and scuba diving, and really liked it. Sadly, this safety vest met its demise, when it was necessary to remove the screw in CO2 cartridge to get thru airport security. Unfortunately, the mechanism was frozen (my bad) - I had not cleaned after diving in salt water (rip / RIP).

The reason that I would buy this type of vest again, is that it allows me to shallow water detect in waters deeper than waist deep with complete freedom of movement until the safety vest is inflated. So I can still use a mask/snorkel and hand fan to recover more difficult targets, while wearing a safety vest.

If I accidently get in too deep and cannot push back to shore, all I have to do is pull the lanyard on the vest and the vest will be rapidly inflated with CO2. Unlike a belt flotation device, the safety vest is designed to keep my head above water, even if I am unconscious.

When exploring underground rivers, I always remove the CO2 cartridge, from the safety vest and make it more difficult to release diving weights, as you often need to descend to exit.

As you are detecting small ponds a brightly colored vest may be advantageous especially if there is danger of getting run over by a boat/jet skie.

As I frequently swam where sharks/barracuda roam, I prefer a dull grey to black safety vest, without flashy buckles and stay away from colors that sharks seem to prefer such as the color of red, oh boy orange, and yum yum yellow.

I was wondering if anyone has used the inflatable life jacket. The reason I am asking is that I was out detecting in a small pond and stepped off into the deep end and that is all that I remember until I was in the ambulanced and they was telling me to open my eyes and to stay with them. My wife has asked me to get a life jacket so we are going to look for one at Bass Pro this weekend. So I was just wondering how they was can they be used over is it gets inflated or is it a one time thing. Thanks Matt

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you just use a long bungee cord and tow a life raft behind you!

I own one of these...
Flare gun and flares...
Small hand flare...
Small metal mirror...
Small folding knife...

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PERSONALLY - I wear a dive jacket or kayak jacket - neoprene and adds just enough buoyancy - for me in the summer
I would not be able to operate properly with one of those vest
buy a 5mm shorty wet suit - that should keep your head above water
another reason I like my 7mm wet suit over using a dry suit in colder waters
if I take my feet out from under me - I easily float -
I don't have to be worried if I get caught in a rip tide - cause I float

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread