IMG_20220215_134717.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Upvote 2

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Crush a small sample into powder then digest with aqua regia, a bit of heat will speed up the process.

Before testing the liquor you'll have to neutralise any excess nitric, sulfamic acid a tube and tile cleaner found in your local hardware store.

Now you can test with stannous chloride, this test solution can be made up from lead free solder dissolved in muriatic acid again a bit of heat will speed up the process.

The solder used must have a high percentage of tin, I'm currently using some old pewter.

Pewter has a high percentage of tin, usually 97.5% tin, 1% copper, and 1.5% antimony.

Once the tin has been dissolved there will be some black powder left, this will be the antimony used to alloy the solder when it was manufactured. Simply filter it out.

Add a couple of grams of raw tin to your newly made stannous this will keep the stannous fresh much longer. Stannous has a short shelf life perhaps a couple of months.

If your ore sample has any precious metals your stannous chloride test will react and give you the following colors.

Should there be two spices of metal present to confuse the outcome of the colors. On a spot plate drop a grain or two of ferric sulfate into the small sample the ferric will precipitate any gold present.

Ferrous sulfate is easy to make but may also be purchased from your local garden center, its used as a plant nutrient.

Now with the gold removed your stannous will react differently.

The attached e-book will give information on howto properly make testing solutions and how to use them.

Au-Pt-Pd-Stannous.jpg

Attachments

• Testing Precious Metals C.M Hoke.pdf
    458.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
David Gentry

David Gentry

Greenie
Feb 15, 2022
Culloden
Detector(s) used
Yes go find 22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush a small sample into powder then digest with aqua regia, a bit of heat will speed up the process.

Before testing the liquor you'll have to neutralise any excess nitric, sulfamic acid a tube and tile cleaner found in your local hardware store.

Now you can test with stannous chloride, this test solution can be made up from lead free solder dissolved in muriatic acid again a bit of heat will speed up the process.

The solder used must have a high percentage of tin, I'm currently using some old pewter.

Pewter has a high percentage of tin, usually 97.5% tin, 1% copper, and 1.5% antimony.

Once the tin has been dissolved there will be some black powder left, this will be the antimony used to alloy the solder when it was manufactured. Simply filter it out.

Add a couple of grams of raw tin to your newly made stannous this will keep the stannous fresh much longer. Stannous has a short shelf life perhaps a couple of months.

If your ore sample has any precious metals your stannous chloride test will react and give you the following colors.

Should there be two spices of metal present to confuse the outcome of the colors. On a spot plate drop a grain or two of ferric sulfate into the small sample the ferric will precipitate any gold present.

Ferrous sulfate is easy to make but may also be purchased from your local garden center, its used as a plant nutrient.

Now with the gold removed your stannous will react differently.

The attached e-book will give information on howto properly make testing solutions and how to use them.

View attachment 2012401
I really appreciate that you have told me little more. Because I'm all new at this time. I'm just a small town Man grew up in a little town. Don't have a clue. I was always a out door person. But my father died when I was young. So I started spending more time in the woods. I feel that he was always there . With me . So I really appreciate you giving me some advice. Thank you

Upvote 2

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Ammen's book - refining precious metals is one of my favorites.

There was a digital copy of his book floating around in the wild but has since been removed as it's still covered by copyright protection.

The digital version is the first edition, the 2nd edition contains very little extra information.

Upvote 2

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
One thing to keep in mind with ore samples, those coming from the surface have had years of exposure to the weather where the rain has leached out some of the values.

In addition to having values leached from the specimen the outside will become oxidized from the oxygen in our atmosphere creating an oxidized layer.

The oxidized layer can be deceptive so its always advisable to break the ore sample open to have a look at the interior.

Surface grabs also known as float, when your finding them seek out the source.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
David Gentry

David Gentry

Greenie
Feb 15, 2022
Culloden
Detector(s) used
Yes go find 22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind with ore samples, those coming from the surface have had years of exposure to the weather where the rain has leached out some of the values.

In addition to having values leached from the specimen the outside will become oxidized from the oxygen in our atmosphere creating an oxidized layer.

The oxidized layer can be deceptive so its always advisable to break the ore sample open to have a look at the interior.

Surface grabs also known as float, when your finding them seek out the source.
I didn't have no idea. Thank you for letting me know I really appreciate it. I have tried calling and texting people for some time. And I join, Treasure net and learn more than I have all on the time is spent on the internet. Thank you all for your help and concern 😊.

Upvote 1

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Rockhounds in the field will spit on a stone to bring out the hidden beauty.

Some of your rocks you've posted appear to have sulfides of which most appear as black in color. Fools gold is one with exception.

Wet your stones with water, then from a dark place using a digital camera take more pictures.

There maybe enough precious metals which have not yet fully oxidized to reflect back from the camera flash.

If you have an older camera, I would suggest using it rather than a cell phone. Usually the Led's used in their flash do not have the proper light spectrum.

Upvote 1

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
In the early 90's I had rented some shop space to a couple of geologists that were doing the assay work for one of the prospectors searching for diamonds.

The prospector followed a trail of indicator minerals small crystals of Chrome diopside.

The glacier had spread these tiny crystals throughout the region but knowing the direction in which it traveled the prospector was able to locate the source of the diamonds.

Your ore sample do not appear to have been deposited by the glacier. Placer material is more rounded.

Yellowknife Diamonds.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread