Information wanted on Whites 5000D GEB Detector

Steeple Jack

Jan 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to everyone! I am new to this forum, so please bear with me if I make any mistakes. I was given a Whites 5000D GEB detector and need some help getting it to work. The detector is erratic and lacks sensitivity. I am some what versed in electronics and have been trying to repair the thing before reverting to shipping it back to Whites. In that case, it would probably cost more than the detector is worth. I have tracked the problem to the search coil and I am looking for a replacement coil before attempting to cut open the existing one. Without a schematic or service manual, I have no idea what frequency it operates on and therefore don't know which coil to purchase. Does anyone have an old coil that this detector will work with, or can tell me which coil to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I can tell you that it is about 35 years old. Hard to find any support outside of Whites. Unless you are familiar with analog electronics of the era, and can properly read a schematic, and have appropriate test equipment, I suggest contacting Whites via their website or toll free number.

Time for more coffee.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few of them and when working they had a tendency to do well on finding deep dimes. Erratic and noisy operation maybe operations near power lines. Also give the pots a good cleaning with electronics spray as they tend to generate noise, especially with age.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Steeple Jack! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to BRANDS > WHITE'S for more exposure.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frequency is 6.592kHz. Look on the coil ears, you should see 2 characters stamped. Probably "D5". If so, you want to buy another D5. White's made 6.592kHz detectors for many years but changed the coil designs along the way, so compatibility can be a problem. Someone once posted a compatibility chart for White's coils.

Some of the old coils had foil shielding in the cables that would deteriorate. If you get noise when moving the cable even slightly, that's the likely culprit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread