inhereted treasure map

Lino

Feb 27, 2013
NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a map my grandfather possessed. Actually it said that it was a copy. It was written 4-1-1901 by a man who claimed to be in a Mexican prison. The map (actually in letter form) states that coming north in the state of Chihuahua and then Palomas (south of Deming, NM) you will encounter the Tres Hermanos (not to be mistaken with the Tres Hermanas in Deming) Along with other detail, it states there are 3 piles of coins in a mine. And these coins have a spanish armament insignia. Has anybody ever heard of this particular treasure.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
There are three mountains South of Deming that are called the Three Sisters (Tres Hermanas). The mining district is also called by that name. The Tres Hermanas Mine is a zinc mine. It is possible that there is a Tres Hermanos Mine (Three Brothers) in the area, but there doesn't seem to be any information on that name in the Tres Hermanas area.

Tres Hermanos is a popular mine name. One of the largest operation gold mines near Batopilas is called Tres Hermanos. The mine is currently up for sale.

Pancho Villa cashed gold, silver bars, and guns in several places in N. Mexico. The information you have could be directions to one of those caches. The mine you would seek may be a small propect that was used to store the gold coins and closed or hidden. You might be able to use Google Earth to survey the area of the directions on your map. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lino

Feb 27, 2013
NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tres Hermonos are in Socorro County, NM

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Lino,

I for one had never heard of that letter, since you state it is a copy, others may be aware of it. The places you mention are very well known, sure would like to hear the rest of the directions.

If you don't want to make the rest of the letter public, we understand, but if you need help, should the letter be in Spanish, I am willing to help you without any interest.

Does the letter itself state that the Tres Hermanos is not to be confused with the Tres Hermanas, or is that your own statement? It's a big jump from Palomas to Tres Hermanos, so it could be referring to Tres Hermanas if the other landmarks fit the area.

Homar P. Olivarez

OP
OP
L

Lino

Feb 27, 2013
NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coazon,

the letter just mentions the tres hermanos. It was written in spanish by a man who said when he was in a prison at La isla de uva. he mentions coming north from Chihuahua state through palomas and then "por un el valle de sabinos (Juniper)

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coazon,

the letter just mentions the tres hermanos. It was written in spanish by a man who said when he was in a prison at La isla de uva. he mentions coming north from Chihuahua state through palomas and then "por un el valle de sabinos (Juniper)

If the letter just mentions the tres hermanos, it is quite possible that the "o" in hermanos could actually be an "a". If it is clearly an "a" in print, it could be a common mistake, I'm sure there are still many who confuse both places.

Since he mentions going through a valley of sabinos just after leaving Palomas, the Tres Hermanas seems more likely. This is where I would begin my search for the valley and other clues. The sabino is not a Juniper, but a Montezuma Cypress, or Mexican Cypress. Get familiar with this tree to find the valley.

Homar

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
I was given a map my grandfather possessed. Actually it said that it was a copy. It was written 4-1-1901 by a man who claimed to be in a Mexican prison. The map (actually in letter form) states that coming north in the state of Chihuahua and then Palomas (south of Deming, NM) you will encounter the Tres Hermanos (not to be mistaken with the Tres Hermanas in Deming) Along with other detail, it states there are 3 piles of coins in a mine. And these coins have a spanish armament insignia. Has anybody ever heard of this particular treasure.

Fowler's original story for the area has the directions originating in El Paso (Juarez). It has been copied by many, but post-dates 1901 for sure. I'd be interested as to similarities and differences.

Check Rumsey's website for region around 1901. Those mountains by Columbus have changed names several times.

I was over there a couple days ago looking for petroglyphs that appear to depict a battle between mounted natives and priests.

Lots of mines. I hate to say it, but anything secreted in an old mine there may be long gone. The Tres Hermanas Hills is another matter... You will need more than topos and rand mc nalley to find those.

Good Luck.

janos123

Feb 11, 2018
agua prieta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my grandpa along with some of his buddies found a generous treasure of gold in new mexico I wonder if that was the one!

Grizsf

Greenie
Mar 29, 2016
Sicily Island, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I recently (about a month ago) watched (or listened to more like it) a video interview on youtube (I believe it was on Terry Carter's Channel) about this legend. The man telling the story was the son of a prison warden and the one who gave him the map/told him of the treasure was a Native American prisoner who served as their house help. I'm doing my best to locate the video again. As I recall it was around 40 minutes or so long and I cannot remember how it was titled. Give me a few and if/when I find it I will PM you with the details.

I have went through all my search history and recently watched videos on youtube and for the life of me cannot find the specific video I was referring to. I remember all the details of the video though. I apologize for not being able to find it at the moment. Are you by chance related to the warden of the prison? I recall the prison being in the U.S. Southwest though. PM me if you are interested in the details I remember about the video. I have no vested interest in it due to the location of the legend but will help you if I can. I believe the whole reason I found the video was due to the fact my youtube was set to autoplay.

Last edited:

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
my grandpa along with some of his buddies found a generous treasure of gold in new mexico I wonder if that was the one!

Any details you can share?

The story from Fowler was all about Silver, not Gold.

Mountains, plains, river area, etc.?

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
I recently (about a month ago) watched (or listened to more like it) a video interview on youtube (I believe it was on Terry Carter's Channel) about this legend. The man telling the story was the son of a prison warden and the one who gave him the map/told him of the treasure was a Native American prisoner who served as their house help. I'm doing my best to locate the video again. As I recall it was around 40 minutes or so long and I cannot remember how it was titled. Give me a few and if/when I find it I will PM you with the details.

I have went through all my search history and recently watched videos on youtube and for the life of me cannot find the specific video I was referring to. I remember all the details of the video though. I apologize for not being able to find it at the moment. Are you by chance related to the warden of the prison? I recall the prison being in the U.S. Southwest though. PM me if you are interested in the details I remember about the video. I have no vested interest in it due to the location of the legend but will help you if I can. I believe the whole reason I found the video was due to the fact my youtube was set to autoplay.

I think I know the video you are talking about. May have been on one of Terry's websites and not YouTube.

Does not sound at all like the Tres Hermanas per the Fowler version or anything near Palomas.

The hill from the video could be anywhere, but sounds most like Lordsburg area.

In fact that rings a bell. I think it's actually posted on TNet. I remember some back and forth with sdcfia on that one (I think...)

I'll do a search and post here if I find it.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2:

Grizsf

Greenie
Mar 29, 2016
Sicily Island, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I appreciate it nmth. I spent the better part of the night last night searching for it. It's my fault for not paying too much attention about it. I love to hear the old timers tell their stories while I do my own research. Most of the interviews I listen to are no where near me so I don't listen for the minute details. I do remember this if it helps you find it since I seem to be at a dead end. 1) Person being interviewed was the prison warden's son who had personally talked to and was shown things by the Native American, 2) the Native American was from a tribe I was not familiar with (and I'm a lover of Native American History, having ceremonial and burial mounds on my property) 3) the Native American's mother was shown this cave and the information he related was from her, 4) It was a cave with gold, Spanish gold, because his tribe had killed the Spaniards after having been used as slaves for so long they rebelled(bodies of Spaniards were dumped into the cave, 5) there were two entrances, one from "ground" level and another from the top of the cave, going straight down. 6) the Native American prisoner would not take the warden's son to the actual site because it was "sacred ground", and 7) the Native American was well versed in Spanish due to the priests in the area when he was a child. I hope these points may help you find the interview or even written account of this. I do apologize again for not being able to help out any more than this....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread