OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually uses less water than a traditional single jet it’s just the system uses an in-line booster. russau used one on his dredge.
It's basically an infinity jet (with some tweaks), which does require more water than a regular jet but it does not need the same pressure.
But i'm getting tired of this back and forth, my 500gpm pump will be more than enough for a 5"

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try it & let us know how it works for you...
I run the HP500 on my 4" because the P180 just isn't quite enough unless your only running a 10' hose... Your 500gpm pump will need a short suction hose as well because that's marginal for a 5" in the water dredge.
Good Luck 😎🍻👍

I had twin P180's back in the day on my 5" set up.
homebuilt 002.jpg

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's basically an infinity jet (with some tweaks), which does require more water than a regular jet but it does not need the same pressure.
But i'm getting tired of this back and forth, my 500gpm pump will be more than enough for a 5"
It’s not an infinity jet.

OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fascinated by your chart. Could you please explain the Series part and your calculations?
It's based on the hydroforce needs, and it's almost a linear increase but not quite, so i just added each size and made a chart and then extrapolated for the other sizes. On the left size you have the GPH and at the bottom is the dredge size.

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, it may not be the best decision to solely rely on the public data provided by the manufacturers. You could consider exploring research papers on the subject. While I do not have the specific details at hand, I remember coming across a thorough thesis that outlines the jet pump design process extensively. I didn't find it, sorry.

OP
OP
F

Flatline

Aug 31, 2021
sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, it may not be the best decision to solely rely on the public data provided by the manufacturers. You could consider exploring research papers on the subject. While I do not have the specific details at hand, I remember coming across a thorough thesis that outlines the jet pump design process extensively. I didn't find it, sorry.
Usually the jet is dredge size / 4, so a 4 inch should use a 1inch jet. But it does depend a bit on the pump also, oversized you can go up in size a little bit.

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This formula is effective for power jets up to 4 inches, but it is more of a general guideline than a strict rule. Factors such as the orifice geometry, operating altitude and the type of pump and pipes available can also play a role in the design and may require modifications. These adjustments can then have an impact on other components of the dredge.
For instance, I struggled to see why the Spartan gold dredge power jet or Reggie Gould's suction nozzles were so different. Upon further consideration, I came to the realization that they were simply optimized with the same factors in mind that were mentioned earlier.
I have to acknowledge that for someone who enjoys using his/her DIY gold dredge on the weekends, these details may not hold much significance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread