OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
With these maps it is much easier to figure a route Swift could have taken from Ft. Pitt. to the great Sandy.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new to see, these have been posted before. Nothing shown between Ft Pitt and Kanahwa Rvr. East side of Sandy looks like trace crossing around Louisa.

The first map linked is an improvement of the 2nd link.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Swift used these maps then the Kentucky River was at longitude 85 & 86 degrees. The only thing on the map with Swift's 83 degrees would be the head of the Big Sandy River near the Breaks.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since those coordinates are relative to which meridian was used, I tend to discount their use in general. The first map linked is an improvement of the second link but they both have the stretched skew typical of maps made of that era. The only interest I had on saving these maps months ago was the traces that were drawn and the fact that the Red river was called the warriors branch of the KY.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing new to see, these have been posted before. Nothing shown between Ft Pitt and Kanahwa Rvr. East side of Sandy looks like trace crossing around Louisa.

The first map linked is an improvement of the 2nd link.

Nope not new by no means but the post I saw with the maps the link didn't work, and someone new might want to see. So I thought I'd give them a chance to see .

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
If Swift used these maps then the Kentucky River was at longitude 85 & 86 degrees. The only thing on the map with Swift's 83 degrees would be the head of the Big Sandy River near the Breaks.

There has already been one group of mines found at the 83rd parallel within 11 miles of one of the latitudes mentioned .

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe during Swift's time that the longitude or even the latitude was precise? But I guess if you look near a location you can find just about anything.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I figure Swift being an Englishman he used the English Meridian . The English meridian is the one used today.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
If memory serves me right he gave two latitudes and said both would be on or near the 83rd longitude.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
And so; from Ft. Pitt... ???

Follow Mundy: He's the one that knows the habit and travel of the Indians. He being captured by the Indians and living with them for years has a better idea than I !! He's thee one that told me about the mines to start with... I'm just a Englishman that's wanting the silver. Mundy is the one that guided them to the mines , Isn't he ??? Ya have to trust and have faith in your guide .

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the names up around Ft. Pitt I can't make out with a magnifier. But once I got to Dunkers Ck. I would have went through the head waters of the L Kanawha, on come to the First river/creek that runs into the B. Kanawha on the East which is probably Gauley, or it might be the Elk From there probably down the big Kanawha a ways and gaps and valleys westward. toward the head waters of the Guyndotte ,then to the Sandy. Sure hope Mundy doesn't get killed.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And so; from Ft. Pitt... ???

Rebel, several versions of the Swift Journal mention the first trip to the mines as coming by way of Ft Pitt....and naming the rivers as they come to the Sandy on the south bank of the Ohio River. Then at the forks of the Sandy the two groups split. I can find no reasonable route by land to follow the Ohio river to the mouth of the Sandy. They would have had a really tough time crossing all those rivers at their mouths along the Ohio River. I can find only one ford just South of Charleston.

Ohio River - New World Encyclopedia

I am just trying to prove/disprove some of the things I find in common with the journal versions I have been exposed to. Process of elimination so to speak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't imagine trying to float a pack train down the river on rafts. Dunkers Creek might be in the head waters of Wheeling Ck.. The question IS, How did Swift know to call it Wheeling Creek when he wrote the Journal ???

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope that's why I say it's a question. In Most if not all of the journals Sandy creek/river is mentioned though. Sometimes it is referred to as Great Sandy. I guess I answered my question about Dunkers Ck though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeling_Creek_(West_Virginia)#/media/File:Wheeling_Creek_WV_map.png

Guess Dunkers Ck. is in the head waters of the Wheeling. So the route I guess is very plausible that I laid out in the earlier post. It Parallels the Ohio about perfect. Once they hit the headwater of Wheeling there wasn't but the two Creek/Rivers till they got to the Big Kanawha, and they would have been traveling parallel to them. Another thing that it explains is why they didn't mention Mounds around Moundsville, they didn't go down though Moundsville.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure Swift being an Englishman he used the English Meridian . The English meridian is the one used today.

The English meridian was only used after 1884

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread