Interesting pocket change, shiny old penny

beepbleep

Oct 25, 2019
Jordan's Saline, Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always go through my pocket change before spending it. Sometimes I'll get quite a pocketful. There was a little over $4 this time.
Resized_20210128_081326_4333.jpeg

A Bi-centinneal quarter, a 1965 dime. not silver. darn.
Resized_20210128_081513_6892.jpeg
Interesting shiny penny in circulation. 1963D, it's shiny like a recent zincoln.
Resized_20210128_122319_369.jpeg
Resized_20210128_122304_6051.jpeg
Always look at the dates.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Look at the difference in the size of the head on the 63d compared to a new penny. Head is much larger.
That 63D has lived a very sheltered life!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, nice. I found interest in vintage coins, and as a beginner, I am clueless as to where to begin, so I turned to eBay. Do you think it is a good idea to get old coins from ebay?

In most cases, absolutely not. When they say "unsearched" you can except they have been!

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 1963 coin being considered "old". I've always considered a '63 to be modern. But then I started thinking, a 58 year old coin, when I graduated from high school, would have had a 1919 date, and I definitely considered that old at the time. My how time flies.

As far as buying coins on ebay, I've bought hundreds (maybe thousands) over the years, and have had very good luck. I never buy unsearched coins or mixed (grab bag) lots. I usually buy from coin dealers, but sometimes the best prices come from people who don't know what the have (search for some of these listings outside of the coin sections, example: antiques). I only buy from sellers with very high ratings (upper 99% positive), and that have a history of several hundred or more transactions. I never buy from Asia, too many fakes. In the early days, I participated in "auctions" and had some good success, but I got lazy, and now only do "buy now" transactions. I've had some luck on "make an offer" listings, as well.

Don't get into a hurry to buy. I sometimes search for days to find the right deal. I require the listings to have very clear pictures of both sides of the coin, and I rely on my own eyes to determine grade. You also need to know the approximate value of the coin. Red Book is a good reference, but it's always outdated, and you should pay a fraction of the Red Book listed price, which is full blown retail.

I also buy rolls of silver coins as a silver investment, which is a different game (my buy price is always in reference to spot prices, not collector value). I do search the rolls to add new dates/mints, or upgrades, to my collection, and look for "better date" and error coins in the rolls, all with some success.

Don't be afraid to buy from ebay, just put in the research before doing so.

TCK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread