Interesting site Confederate I Button and some ?s

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Found an interesting site and found some treasure today. By far the best find of the day was the Confederate Button but some really odd other items. The big round thing, I believe is pewter and perhaps a plate, the iron item looks like a trigger guard or some handle to something. Oh not sure what the one piece is that looks like a harmonica reed, it is massive, perhaps some other type of instrument. Also some flat buttons and some misc copper as a bonus. Fun day and will put the I button in the display case as it sits, I dont want to clean that piece. Any input is appreciated. Also all the buttons had no markings on the back

Attachments

• IMG_3398.JPG
    IMG_3398.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 18

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the middle, the rectangular piece looks like the inner piece to a pocket knife, the round thing on its right is a reins guide and under is part of a harmonica reed.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "harmonica reed" looks pretty big, I think more likely a concertina or accordian reed.

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
In the middle, the rectangular piece looks like the inner piece to a pocket knife, the round thing on its right is a reins guide and under is part of a harmonica reed.

Thanks for the information. Im not sure if it is a harmonica reed, it is ~1-3/4" wide, (or tall) and two to three times thicker than the ones i have found in the past. Its also a very bulky piece. Hard to tell from my photos, sorry I did not put in the measurements. Thanks again for your input

Attachments

• IMG_3398.JPG
    IMG_3398.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
The "harmonica reed" looks pretty big, I think more likely a concertina or accordian reed.

Just noticed your post, I am hoping your correct and would like to figure out if that is the case, The site looks to be from the colonial period to sometime around the civil war era. Thanks again

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thanks for showing us

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually accordions and concertinas have individual reeds (kinda like on a reed organ) for every note, not a reed plate like you'd have on a harmonica. I could be wrong as I have only seen and played 20th century accordions but my uneducated opinion is that it's from something else.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing button

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smilodon, Mayaan, (Southern Pronunciation for the word Man), Congrat's on some very nice Saves. The Confetrit' Block I button has been on my list to find, but has alluded me for some nearly 38 years. The other flat buttons and reign guide are nice also. Charleston is one of my favorite old towns. My Dad was born there back in 1932 near the old Rainbow Row section. So much History there. You found some here. Keep at that spot.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round item possibly made of brass looks like an oar lock for a row boat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread