Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. My friend SlateBeltDigger invited me to join him earlier this week at a location he had researched, and I just couldn't pass that opportunity up. So I rearranged a few work meetings and met up with him for a few hours yesterday morning at this spot.
The location is now a park but was once a 150-200 acre farm in western New Jersey. The original barn was updated over the decades but the original footprint is visible and preserved as it was long ago, along with some of the surrounding fields. Other areas of the park have been redeveloped into some soccer/football fields, but there's enough of the original land to make the location very interesting.

SlateBeltDigger beat me to the location and was already a quarter-mile across the property when I got there, so I hiked through the tall grass - causing hundreds of grasshoppers to jump away from me as I went. We decided to try the mowed pathways on the fringes of the fields first; they're pretty widely mowed because horses apparently are ridden at this park.

My very first target sounded like a bottle cap in an area SlateBeltDigger had walked through, and I actually asked him "Did you leave a bottle cap behind here?" When he replied "no" I started digging, and that very first target was a tombac button, pictured below.

This tombac is different than any I've seen before (but I'm not thinking it's all that special - just different). It's concave on the front, while most other tombacs I've found are either flat or convex on the front.
Has anyone else found one like this?
The front is rough but the roughness looks intentional; I took a dremmel to the front (gently) and that texture is not corrosion.
Anyway, if you have any thoughts to share (Red-Coat and TheCannonballGuy - I'm looking at you!) about this button I'd love to hear them.

The rest of the hunt was not all that eventful because we were mostly scouting out different areas of the property. The buckle came from near the barn, and when I return to this property I'll be spending more time near there because there were many signals - but I ran out of time and had to head back to work.

Thanks for looking!

- Brian

The park:
kkHbSkv.jpg

The finds:
cYFb7xw.jpg

The tombac - backside:
eoukLxn.jpg P59iwUi.jpg

The tombac - frontside:
yXpqIV0.jpg grnbpVO.jpg
TNn5p2a.jpg

Upvote 16

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice! I have dug hundreds of tombacs over the years but not a single concave one. Very cool.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I have dug hundreds of tombacs over the years but not a single concave one. Very cool.

Thanks for saying this Jeff. I haven't dug hundreds (maybe 10) but I've looked at hundreds of pictures and I haven't seen one like this.
- Brian

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a few somewhere I've dug over the years. They are definitely much more rare than a typical-shaped tombac button.

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there is actually half of a button. There was a style in the mid to late 18th century where the shank portion of the button was cast as one piece and then another piece was attached to the front. This is distinct from blowhole buttons as those were brazed together and the holes were needed to allow expanding gasses to escape from between the two halves. This other style was either joined with a much lower temperature solder, or (more likely in my opinion) simply glued together. I find many more without a front half than I do complete (or separate fronts for that matter) which I think may be due to the fact that some had front faces made of organic material like bone, wood, or mother of pearl that has since decomposed in the ground.

PXL_20210812_142417835.jpg

Above is a complete specimen as well as a partial specimen that I recovered at the same site. The metal on the top half of the button is a different alloy than the tombac that makes up the back. I've found one example with a fancy front, but most are plain so these may have been considered more utilitarian as opposed to formal or flashy. They seem to concentrate around 1760's and 1770's sites in my area so I would surmise that is the heyday of this style. You're probably on a decently old spot, so keep swinging around!

Last edited:
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you have there is actually half of a button. There was a style in the mid to late 18th century where the shank portion of the button was cast as one piece and then another piece was attached to the front. This is distinct from blowhole buttons as those were brazed together and the holes were needed to allow expanding gasses to escape from between the two halves. This other style was either joined with a much lower temperature solder, or (more likely in my opinion) simply glued together. I find many more without a front half than I do complete (or separate fronts for that matter) which I think may be due to the fact that some had front faces made of organic material like bone, wood, or mother of pearl that has since decomposed in the ground.

View attachment 1942209

Above is a complete specimen as well as a partial specimen that I recovered at the same site. The metal on the top half of the button is a different alloy than the tombac that makes up the back. I've found one example with a fancy front, but most are plain so these may have been considered more utilitarian as opposed to formal or flashy. They seem to concentrate around 1760's and 1770's sites in my area so I would surmise that is the heyday of this style. You're probably on a decently old spot, so keep swinging around!

This is excellent information and i think you're 100% correct! Wow thank you for explaining this to me; I would have never guessed this, but now that you show your example it makes total sense!

I will definitely be going back to that location throughout the rest of 2021. The barn / mowed areas can be searched now, and when the grass dies down (or is flattened by snow) near where that button was found i can do a more thorough search. Can't wait!

- Brian

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleomaxx is right, you have the back of a two piece button. While I have found well over a dozen back halves, I have only found one front, and seen one other dug. I believe they are primarily mid 18th C. Here are some more pictures to illustrate the point.

Attachments

• Two Piece Button fronts.jpg.jpg
    Two Piece Button fronts.jpg.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Mated Buttons1.jpg.jpg
    Mated Buttons1.jpg.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paleomaxx is right, you have the back of a two piece button. While I have found well over a dozen back halves, I have only found one front, and seen one other dug. I believe they are primarily mid 18th C. Here are some more pictures to illustrate the point.

Steve, thank you for this additional information.
Knowing the amazing things you have found (your signature block says it all), and that you've only found around a dozen of these types of tombacs, that tells me that I've found something special - and I might be detecting a potentially great new site! Credit goes to SlateBeltDigger for identifying the location.

Thanks!

- Brian

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, thank you for this additional information.
Knowing the amazing things you have found (your signature block says it all), and that you've only found eleven (11) of these types of tombacs, that tells me that I've found something special - and I might be detecting a potentially great new site! Credit goes to SlateBeltDigger for identifying the location.

Thanks!

- Brian
Actually I said well over a dozen, not 11 :laughing7: I've never really counted, but probably less than 20. A lot of them have came from sites that saw 1750s French and Indian War activity, which makes me think they were primarily in use around that time.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I said well over a dozen, not 11 :laughing7: I've never really counted, but probably less than 20. A lot of them have came from sites that saw 1750s French and Indian War activity, which makes me think they were primarily in use around that time.

Fixed that.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great info! Of course I had to go and search through my buttons, but still no bottom halves of a two-piece tombac.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is excellent information and i think you're 100% correct! Wow thank you for explaining this to me; I would have never guessed this, but now that you show your example it makes total sense!

I will definitely be going back to that location throughout the rest of 2021. The barn / mowed areas can be searched now, and when the grass dies down (or is flattened by snow) near where that button was found i can do a more thorough search. Can't wait!

- Brian
He is 100% correct. Most are never found complete. I have hundreds of examples & less than 1% complete. They are one of the few that break the 2 piece button rule.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...They are one of the few that break the 2 piece button rule.

Sorry Crusader - what is the 2 piece button rule? (And thank you all for everything you're teaching me!)

- Brian

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is fantastic information; I have learned something today. I’ve dug many, many tombac buttons but never one such as this.

aj

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found many concave buttons over the years. Usually it is the back of a two piece button.

Here are a couple. The first photo is slightly concave, although you may not be able to tell. In the second photo, the concave button was found with many blowhole buttons, so it's probably early 1700's or late 1600's.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170302_184138 - Copy.jpg
    20170302_184138 - Copy.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200308_205632 - Copy.jpg
    20200308_205632 - Copy.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 124

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Crusader - what is the 2 piece button rule? (And thank you all for everything you're teaching me!)

- Brian
The construction timeline of buttons (or evolution) means that most 2 piece buttons are post 1830. Before this time most buttons are flat 1 piece (not including the shank/loop), but some break this mould, & yours is one of them.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking forward to hitting this place up again....but not as much as THAT OTHER PLACE...lol....

When the soy bean falls, my Equinox calls.

Great post and keep them coming-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread