Interesting trees

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think of these? Probably nothing but was just wondering. They've been screaming at me for awhile. The roads you see are just access roads that are not public. They are on private property. The trees are all within a quarter mile of each other and there are other odd trees very close by. 20161022_085220.jpg 20161022_085121.jpg 20161022_083351.jpg 20161022_083116.jpg 20161022_082506.jpg

Attachments

• 20161022_082605.jpg
    20161022_082605.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
M

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trees are all very old. My pictures don't do them justice. Pictures are from both sides.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detect places where they point to. Might find more markers. Metal pieces you find, dig enough around them and do not move until you are able to detwrmine if they are pointers.

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they do have the look of trail trees but I would go ahead an plot them on a map along with the others you've seen and see if there's a pattern take some compass bearings also, see what they're pointing to (other possible markers) I agree with elh if you have a metal detector check around the base and under the knob that's protruding from the one tree you posted if you find anything don't move it until you've recorded everything you can about it

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
I agree with Mark60. Use your compass to confirm, plot everything. And realize that you are in an area where several different groups could have left messages. I would start with the bottom tree as it has facial profiles in two directions. You should find other trail markers both ways within 300 feet.

OP
OP
M

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the advise. I'll be able to get back up there this weekend and look around more. I'll take my at pro and and dig out my compass and try to print off a map. Even if it's Indian trail markers I find that fascinating. There are a lot more strange trees around. Hey oddjob, what do you mean by are they flammable?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a vault marker tree, you either go thru it or sideways to it, you use it much like a shaft symbol. 20161026_175124.jpg

This other one you can try and use like a hoyo and line something up or see something thru the window made by the two trees. 20161027_163955  use like a hoyo.jpg Notice the other big tree in front is leaning over towards it as well. One of the limbs of the trees making the window should point a general direction to look. They are trying to point out or lead you to an important spot or set of markers (like a tree triangle) or set of boulders that you measure from.
You don't always look thru the hoyo, sometimes it is just drawing your attention over to the tree or marker. In which case you would use the pointing branch instead of looking thru the window.

Last edited:

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone has cleared a old field. Maybe it's their starting point of cutting. They nicked or cut the tops of the trees. That made them grow funny. All the other trees look young in age . The younger trees in the picture to the right look like they were planted in rows. Pointing to treasure or a was a old plowing field. I would detect every where. Could find other stuff their that's not metal also. Cool! That's my take on it.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
I have trees like these near rivers. They didn't need to mark water this way. They are along trails, some very old trails. Anybody can find water when it is flowing in the canyons a few hundred feet away. The water theory on markers has always been hilarious to me and my friends. The same type markers people have been posting here for years that claim water marker, we have seen within a few hundred feet of a river that is massive, like you would have trouble swimming across. Perhaps these old explorers were totally blind. Also I have heard the markers being for old livestock trails.... makes sense , yeah right lol . Move a 10 -80 ton boulder with horses so you can know where to funnel your livestock. The boulders were placed there long before...

BTW did you notice how clear the area is around those tree markers so they stand out so well? They stick out like a sore thumb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread