INTERNATIONAL SILVER CO. PLATER

Bbop

Greenie
Sep 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired this 17 5/8" x 12 3/8" silver soldered player in a lot of stuff while freebie hunting. Not too sure about the "stolen property" stamp but I did an online search for the STEARS INC. and it appears to no longer exist.

Can someone please help me identify this thing and maybe what it might be worth? ( if anything). I'm posting pics with all the info I have.

Anything you can tell me would be highly appreciated.
Maybe we can both profit from it if goes there.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_071404928.jpg
    IMG_20190917_071404928.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20190918_221648179.jpg
    IMG_20190918_221648179.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Soldered: This is another way of signifying that the piece is silver-plated.Sterling Inlaid: Advertising itself as sterling, this mark for a silver plate piece can be deceptive and misleading.
A good tip for identifying sterling over plated:
Real silver or sterling will oxidize a black color, plated will show multi-colored rainbow hues when tarnished.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bbop

Greenie
Sep 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you.. so do you see any of the rainbow colors I'd be looking for in the pictures I've supplied? Or do I need to take better pics for you to say?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you.. so do you see any of the rainbow colors I'd be looking for in the pictures I've supplied? Or do I need to take better pics for you to say?

I mostly see large scratches and the appearance of the copper base showing through the piece but I cannot say for certain.
Here is a picture of a plated piece and contains the hues described. You will see blue, yellow, lavender and other colors.

il_570xN.1818125979_pztl.jpg

Sometimes 'Sterling Weighted' can be a good buy if it's priced right. These are pieces that have a thin sheet of sterling that is molded or wrapped around a piece such as a candleholder and is filled with a composite material. The sterling sheet on these pieces can be easily removed .

OP
OP
B

Bbop

Greenie
Sep 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly see large scratches and the appearance of the copper base showing through the piece but I cannot say for certain.
Here is a picture of a plated piece and contains the hues described. You will see blue, yellow, lavender and other colors.

View attachment 1754394

Sometimes 'Sterling Weighted' can be a good buy if it's priced right. These are pieces that have a thin sheet of sterling that is molded or wrapped around a piece such as a candleholder and is filled with a composite material. The sterling sheet on these pieces can be easily removed .

Oh ok. Thank you. So no one's interested in purchasing my player then I suppose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread