62.6 KB · Views: 2,197
  • gold coins d.jpg
    gold coins d.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,233
OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

These oare the oringinal news paper clippings of the cache found in the Mons Anderson house in Lacrosse Wisconsin. The total was blown out of proportion and still is to this day. It was 7 $20 double eagles, 6 $10 Eagles, and 23 $5 half eagles. They were under the kitchen floor, on top of a floor support.

K

Kentucky Kache

Love these stories. How old was the house? My eyes fail me on the small print.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unable to read the print also.? I am guessing that 3 teenagers found some gold coins in a vacant house?? What were they doing in there?? What happened to the coins? Monty

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember the story. It made the news here too. As I recall the guy that found the cache only received one of the five dollar coins for his honesty. The rest went to who ever owned the property at the time. I believe it was owned by the city at that time.
Thats why it pays to keep quiet about such discovery's. If it was for the publicity, he got that.
By the way I found a Mons Anderson "store card" from 1863.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pete,
Do you know what years the coins were?

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Yes, the coins dated 1870 to 1893. Now bk, i told you about the Mons Anderson tokens. You claim to have found one of them post it to this thread. I saw one on ebay at $200 and not finished yet. There were 4 types one is the valueable one. Hopefully that is the one you got.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay Pete,
Here is a pic of that token. I had to take the pic. with artificial light cause it's dark out.

Attachments

• Mons Anderson 001.jpg
    Mons Anderson 001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,985
  • Mons Anderson 002.jpg
    Mons Anderson 002.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,977
OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Mons have a deal with the government he could mint his own money. I've never seen any of it yet. BK post that token in the token section! We'll let IDtoken look it up. Then we will know if it is the rarer one.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

The house was built in the 1850's and was being remodeled. These coins were hidden for about 100 years. The house owner died a pauper. These he either forgot about or someone else hid them.

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Beautiful coins, good find, congratulations,
a real encouragement for all cach seekers
keepum rolling
SS

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

They are not my finds, i only found a loose one several blocks from the site.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

I looked up the mons anderson token on ebay under wisconsin token in the completed. It looks like you have the same one bk. Yours has the green crud though. The one on ebay is in better shape and finished at just over $252.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yah, mine was dug from under a sidewalk. Oh well, maybe I can only get $250.00 for mine. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions