tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an iron mineral of some type would be my guess. There are many forms of natural iron found all over the globe in the way of bog iron to meteorites. So much so I've wondered why the iron age didn't come before the bronze age? There are so many names given to these various rocks and minerals and what some might label what you have, others might call it something else. This site which assist on meteorite identification references a lot about the various types of iron rich minerals with many wonderful photographic samples. You will notice they are found just about everywhere and formed in so many ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an iron mineral of some type would be my guess. There are many forms of natural iron found all over the globe in the way of bog iron to meteorites. So much so I've wondered why the iron age didn't come before the bronze age? There are so many names given to these various rocks and minerals and what some might label what you have, others might call it something else. This site which assist on meteorite identification references a lot about the various types of iron rich minerals with many wonderful photographic samples. You will notice they are found just about everywhere and formed in so many ways.
Thank you for the response. I was just curious over my many years of metal detecting I've found a ton of junk iron just never a solid iron chunk that looked natural so I was just curious. Though it could very well be something broken

Upvote 1

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
File/sand/grind a "window" on the corner so we can see what the inside/interior of the specimen looks like, the smoother it is the better, what it looks like will help possibly tell if it's mineral, metal or from outer space.

It will also help greatly to know what color the filings are, i.e. "streak color" test.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
File/sand/grind a "window" on the corner so we can see what the inside/interior of the specimen looks like, the smoother it is the better, what it looks like will help possibly tell if it's mineral, metal or from outer space.

It will also help greatly to know what color the filings are, i.e. "streak color" test.
I will do that in just a bit and post it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like solid metal after I took a grinding wheel to the corner. So maybe just a iron object that broke in a weird way?

Attachments

• mir_20220213_172613.jpg
    mir_20220213_172613.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 52
  • mir_20220213_172643.jpg
    mir_20220213_172643.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220213_172735.jpg
    20220213_172735.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220213_172830.jpg
    20220213_172830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say it's "iron" but have you actually checked it with a magnet? How strongly is it attracted versus a comparison with something that you know for sure is actually iron?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say it's "iron" but have you actually checked it with a magnet? How strongly is it attracted versus a comparison with something that you know for sure is actually iron?
Yeah definitely attracts a magnet, the magnet is strongly attracted to the thing.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like solid metal after I took a grinding wheel to the corner. So maybe just a iron object that broke in a weird way?
It's either a iron relic(earth metal) or it's possible it could be a iron meteorite, the only way to know if it is will be to have it tested by experts

Upvote 1

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool specimen. I don't know what it is, meteorite or otherwise, but I'd have brought it home. Thanks for posting.

Upvote 1

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does a magnet stick to it? Could be some form of iron ore (it's pretty common).

In the Northeast we get what is called "bog iron" that are natural occurring iron lumps formed from dissolved iron minerals that form over time. They can be from walnut to football sized. Don't know if it occurs in California.

dsc_0427-mumford-bog-rio-ore-cat-13.jpg

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a very metallic interior like that, it won't be bog iron, which is composed mainly of iron oxyhydrides. They don't have a metallic appearance.

Metallic (native) iron, as opposed to its non-metallic compounds, is a pretty rare terrestrial material and only found in particular locations, almost exclusively in the far northern hemisphere.

Other than that, native iron in its metallic form only arises as man-made material from industrial processes, or arrives as meteorites (in which case it's always alloyed with at least some proportion of nickel).

There's nothing about it which suggests 'meteorite', but only expert assessment could tell for sure. The balance of probability is that ferromagnetic metallic materials like this have come from industrial sources. Slag is a high probability. I don't know if there has been military activity (which would include Civil War activity) in the find area but, over here, pieces of material like that often turn out to be shrapnel gifted to us by the Luftwaffe.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a very metallic interior like that, it won't be bog iron, which is composed mainly of iron oxyhydrides. They don't have a metallic appearance.

Metallic (native) iron, as opposed to its non-metallic compounds, is a pretty rare terrestrial material and only found in particular locations, almost exclusively in the far northern hemisphere.

Other than that, native iron in its metallic form only arises as man-made material from industrial processes, or arrives a meteorites (in which case it's always alloyed with at least some proportion of nickel).

There's nothing about it which suggests 'meteorite', but only expert assessment could tell for sure. The balance of probability is that ferromagnetic metallic materials like this have come from industrial sources. Slag is a high probability. I don't know if there has been military activity (which would include Civil War activity) in the find area but, over here, pieces of material like that often turn out to be shrapnel gifted to us by the Luftwaffe.
I still myself think something that was an iron object that got broken up in a weird way. I just brought it home because it was so heavy and looked odd. No war stuff or military stuff around this area since it's from central California.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
meteorite.jpg

Carbonaceous chondrite meteorite in this photo. I am not saying what JVA5th found is a meteorite. I have no expertise in that field. However, assuming he found it near Atwater, California, it appears he is located in the vicinity of a strewn field from a 2012 fireball/meteor breakup.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carbonaceous chondrite meteorite in this photo. I am not saying what JVA5th found is a meteorite. I have no expertise in that field. However, assuming he found it near Atwater, California, it appears he is located in the vicinity of a strewn field from a 2012 fireball/meteor breakup.

The item found is strongly attracted to a magnet and has an obviously metallic interior. Neither would be the case for a carbonaceous chondrite.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2010913

It was found in mariposa California. I highly doubt it's a meteorite. Just was a curiosity for me as I've metal detected around here for years and years and first time I've come across something like this here. Could be some type of slag, could even be some sort of iron object that was shrapnelled somehow. Just when I picked it up after digged it out of the ground it's weight was unexpected and weighted a lot more than most iron junk it's size I've found. Though in the end I'm just curious about what it is junk or not doesn't matter always wanted to learn about things.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron-nickel meteorite pictured. (assuming it was properly identified by owner)

meteorite 2.jpg

Again, I'm not saying you have a meteorite. I'm just posting pictures that to my untrained eye, look similar.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron-nickel meteorite pictured. (assuming it was properly identified by owner)

View attachment 2010916

Again, I'm not saying you have a meteorite. I'm just posting pictures that to my untrained eye, look similar.
Yeah I know. I've seen far too many people thinking they'd found a meteorite on here and I wasn't going to go down that path. I know the chances of that are highly unlikely. It'd be really cool but in regards to that this is most likely something else. I'm guess with my luck just a piece of iron scrap. But I still have no clue still just sitting on the table in my house.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread