Is anyone still looking for gold in Western New York?

Butcher78

May 17, 2019
Great Valley, NY
Detector(s) used
Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box.
Bounty Hunter Landstar.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I Just recently started panning and sluicing for gold here in Springville, NY.
If anyone in the area is still prospecting pls share here. I would love to see what is being found, how your finding it, where you are looking and how much you have found.
I am running a Royal Manufacturing 30” sluice box. I’m still learning how to pan and I want to start crevicing for gold if I can find some exposed bedrock in my area.

Upvote 0

Jesse777

Mar 2, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to start to do the same.not to get rich but for the enjoying the hunt..I still want to know if there is actually gold in western new York?

Trapper99

Apr 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also interested! Looking for dust south of Rochester! Anyone with clues?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also interested! Looking for dust south of Rochester! Anyone with clues?

I am south of Rochester. All of the gold around here is placer gold from the glaciers. I have heard stories of it being found around here, problem is there is no rhyme or reason to where it is found.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am south of Rochester. All of the gold around here is placer gold from the glaciers. I have heard stories of it being found around here, problem is there is no rhyme or reason to where it is found.

There are probable geological maps that show locations of ancient moraines in your area. Check and see if there is now a stream running through the moraine. It/they may have created some placer deposits.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are wasting your time. You'll never find enough glacial gold to pay for gasoline, let alone a sluice. Gold prospecting in New York is a cruel joke. Go to Connecticut or Vermont, if you can't afford to go out west. :skullflag:

Vermont, yes, for gold and search ghost towns. Connecticut, Hell no. No gold, no ghost towns, just a crazy old man who you met many years ago talk to himself.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Vermont, yes, for gold and search ghost towns. Connecticut, Hell no. No gold, no ghost towns, just a crazy old man who you met many years ago talk to himself.

We sometimes go to MA. Definatly will not make gas money, but we DO have fun.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Butcher78

Butcher78

May 17, 2019
Great Valley, NY
Detector(s) used
Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box.
Bounty Hunter Landstar.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Treasure.guy.I moved from Springville to Great Valley in Catt. County. Its been a bit but I'm still interested is going out to look for candy. Do you have any tips?

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smoky, I do want to make plans to visit the Vermont Border. What I have read is that some people have found small quartz vanes near their. The end of the Appalachian Mountains Chain runs up through that area. People have even found gold in NYC.

Particularly in jewerly and coin shops.

Shinebone chicken

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2021
My friend gold prospects in WNY with his 84 year old friend who has energy of a 25 year old. Actuallt finds the yellow stuff. PM me if you want to

My friend gold prospects in WNY with his 84 year old friend who has energy of a 25 year old. Actuallt finds the yellow stuff. PM me if you want to contact him.
Hey friend
Steve's my name I'd love to hook up and get some tips from your friend my number is 716-370-4448 and thanks in advance for the hool up.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also You ALL should know ny has a messed up law that says any gold found in ny is property of the state. No matter who owns the land or claim.....so getting on here posting how you are panning or sluicing in ny may not be a great idea....

Shinebone chicken

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2021
Also You ALL should know ny has a messed up law that says any gold found in ny is property of the state. No matter who owns the land or claim.....so getting on here posting how you are panning or sluicing in ny may not be a great idea....
Yes your right brother no matter if nothing else it's great to be outdoors and using the land GOD gave me they can have it all for all I care.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes your right brother no matter if nothing else it's great to be outdoors and using the land GOD gave me they can have it all for all I care.
knowing NY they will take more than just the gold......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread