Is it a Vault?

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure. This is at the end of a major rock and boulder outcrop across the top of a mountain. There are some charred logs in and around this particular area. The first pic is at a distance, then the second is a bit more zoomed in, then the third is zoomed all the way in. I'm looking for the experienced and educated to chime in here. It may be something, it may be nothing. I can't get back in there until hunting season is over.
vault 1.jpg

vault 2.jpg

vault 3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good looking dog.
Thank you! That's Sam, and he's our baby. This pic was taken back in 2018, I believe. He's 12 now and has a gray muzzle and face and a neurological disorder that causes his back legs to fail him at times, but we're working to keep him mobile and with us as long as possible. He's a treasure too.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that's some interesting-looking shapes & stuff,
with a lot going on.

Appears it makes a massive multi-triggered death trap.

But there are a few familiar shapes and nice pics.

Heavy & tricky, & very complex-looking Deathtrap,
like something being blocked.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would possibly be a trail marker if anything if we are talking about Spanish.There is a miss conception about vaults you will never find one exposed unless someone dug it up. You could walk by or over a vault twenty times and not even know it was there.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you! That's Sam, and he's our baby. This pic was taken back in 2018, I believe. He's 12 now and has a gray muzzle and face and a neurological disorder that causes his back legs to fail him at times, but we're working to keep him mobile and with us as long as possible. He's a treasure too.
Yeah, I've had Labs and Lab mixes. My favorite dogs. One of them (Aggie, died at 12) had an uncanny ability to find native ruins and petroglyph sites. She'd run ahead and wait for me, standing right on those sites grinning. Unfortunately, Labs are prone to hip dysplasia and seem to fail hard at about 12 years old, more or less. Steep terrain seems to make things worse on their back ends.

As far as the outcrop is concerned, IMHO you've got nothing there. Nature provides unlimited strange looking things, but what you want are unmistakeable man made curiosities.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure. This is at the end of a major rock and boulder outcrop across the top of a mountain. There are some charred logs in and around this particular area. The first pic is at a distance, then the second is a bit more zoomed in, then the third is zoomed all the way in. I'm looking for the experienced and educated to chime in here. It may be something, it may be nothing. I can't get back in there until hunting season is over.
View attachment 2057004
View attachment 2057005
View attachment 2057006
Thanks for looking!
Miboje,
It's easy to see the unnatural fitment of pieces worked to fit together, especially in pic 3. This makes a trigger, not just naturally piled up there by accident. Who else could it possibly have been, that needed to leave something in your neck of the woods, that was not the Spanish?

Are you anywhere near to where Civil War activity was known to have happened,
or possibly could have secretly gone down? I never thought or said it was Spanish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miboje,
It's easy to see the unnatural fitment of pieces worked to fit together, especially in pic 3. This makes a trigger, not just naturally piled up there by accident. Who else could it possibly have been, that needed to leave something in your neck of the woods, that was not the Spanish?

or possibly could have secretly gone down? I never thought or said it was Spanish.
CDS- We see the same thing then. Thank you for the confirmation. I noticed too that it looked like pieces were worked and fitted together, and it did not look natural. I also think there is metal work in there. As soon as I have a chance to get back there, I will use my pinpointer to determine if that is the case.
The nearest civil war activity would have been hundreds of miles away.
This is near a Spanish gold mine site. There is an arrastra. In the runoff of the spring, we found broken pewter spoons and wrought iron straps. I would date the site it to the 1700s.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miboje,

Can you describe Civil War activity? Do you mean were there any skirmishes nearby? Or just encampments?

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've had Labs and Lab mixes. My favorite dogs. One of them (Aggie, died at 12) had an uncanny ability to find native ruins and petroglyph sites. She'd run ahead and wait for me, standing right on those sites grinning. Unfortunately, Labs are prone to hip dysplasia and seem to fail hard at about 12 years old, more or less. Steep terrain seems to make things worse on their back ends.

As far as the outcrop is concerned, IMHO you've got nothing there. Nature provides unlimited strange looking things, but what you want are unmistakeable man made curiosities.
Thank you for taking a look at my pics and offering your opinion.
I'm sorry to hear about your Aggie. She must have been quite the treasure hunting partner!
Well we have two separate opinions on what is going on with his hips, but both vets say it's not hip dysplasia and his hips look good on x-rays, so I guess that is one good thing. I hope we get it figured out.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would possibly be a trail marker if anything if we are talking about Spanish.There is a miss conception about vaults you will never find one exposed unless someone dug it up. You could walk by or over a vault twenty times and not even know it was there.
Thanks for taking a look at my pics, Cyzak. What is it about the formation that makes you think it may be a trail marker? I am still learning about the vaults. When someone says "vault" are they describing a hiding place for the king's fifth that is death trapped? What are the features of a vault?

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
CDS- We see the same thing then. Thank you for the confirmation. I noticed too that it looked like pieces were worked and fitted together, and it did not look natural. I also think there is metal work in there. As soon as I have a chance to get back there, I will use my pinpointer to determine if that is the case.
The nearest civil war activity would have been hundreds of miles away.
This is near a Spanish gold mine site. There is an arrastra. In the runoff of the spring, we found broken pewter spoons and wrought iron straps. I would date the site it to the 1700s.
That's very interesting. Since the Spanish treasure vaults weren't cached above ground,
buried 6' into bedrock with an underground caprock, & most were not ever marked
right above. How close is the deathtrap to the other Spanish artifacts?
Certain Marks/Symbols should be present in the area, even if it's
some sort of a filled-in, covered-up & trapped entrance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's some interesting-looking shapes & stuff,
with a lot going on.

Appears it makes a massive multi-triggered death trap.

But there are a few familiar shapes and nice pics.

Heavy & tricky, & very complex-looking Deathtrap,
like something being blocked.
I have a hard time picking out a lot of these shapes and things that others can see. I am going to attach a marked up photo of the things I see. If and when you have time, would you mind, if you are able to, marking up some of the things you can see? It will help me, and probably others, to learn and better able to spot things in the field. When you say that there is something being blocked, can you be more specific?

Attachments

• vault 3.jpg
    vault 3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 44

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a hard time picking out a lot of these shapes and things that others can see. I am going to attach a marked up photo of the things I see. If and when you have time, would you mind, if you are able to, marking up some of the things you can see? It will help me, and probably others, to learn and better able to spot things in the field. When you say that there is something being blocked, can you be more specific?
I'm saying that, because it's a pile of particularly stacked rocks, making an obstacle
to safely digging down there, as you said, "at the end of a rock outcropping along a
mountain ridge."

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very interesting. Since the Spanish treasure vaults weren't cached above ground,
buried 6' into bedrock with an underground caprock, & most were not ever marked
right above, how close is the deathtrap to the other Spanish artifacts?
Certain Marks/Symbols should be present in the area, even if it's
some sort of a filled-in, covered-up & trapped entrance.
I see. Then I think I have been having a misconception about exactly what a vault is.

The trap is about quarter mile from the mine site.
The only markings I know of close to the trap are two marked trees, which probably were not done by the spanish as they are not old enough. If there are other signs/symbols in the immediate area, I have not spotted them. Me capturing this spot at all started out as just me randomly taking a picture, but then part of it caught my eye because it did not look natural. I really didn't think anything more about it until just recently when I was looking through my old phone.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I see. Then I think I have been having a misconception about exactly what a vault is.

The trap is about quarter mile from the mine site.
The only markings I know of close to the trap are two marked trees, which probably were not done by the spanish as they are not old enough. If there are other signs/symbols in the immediate area, I have not spotted them. Me capturing this spot at all started out as just me randomly taking a picture, but then part of it caught my eye because it did not look natural. I really didn't think anything more about it until just recently when I was looking through my old phone.
There are different kinds of vaults, made by different entities. But the Spanish ones
were King ordered to be buried 6' into the bedrock. Good catch on viewing old pics.
It seems you have an interesting place, to do some further research when you can.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This outcropping starts at the mine site and is nothing but huge rocks and massive boulders, and is about a quarter mile long. One can walk along the top the entire length of it.
So you do not think it is Spanish then?
Is any of the rest of the outcropping stacked in a random pile?

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
This outcropping starts at the mine site and is nothing but huge rocks and massive boulders, and is about a quarter mile long. One can walk along the top the entire length of it.
So you do not think it is Spanish then?
Don't have enough info to know whose, since there should be particular markers at any
Spanish mine or cache. Pics of the mine site, & anything else of interest along
the way, like potential trail markers, would help if possible.

More pics of the rock pile/deathtrap at different angles around all sides,
might show you something else too. And shadows on a sunny day, may
be best from 11:00-2:00, and that can vary from sunup to sundown too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions