Is it gold?

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everyone. I went panning for the first time ever and found these pieces. I'm confident the smaller one (magnified) is gold, but what about the one in my hand? I'm pretty sure I found a bunch of pyrite and maybe some mercury (or platinum) as well, so thought I'd ask the experts: is it gold?

20200521_125823.jpg
20200521_125805.jpg

Upvote 0

richtink

Oct 28, 2016
atlanta
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
I think a good test is to try to bend it, if it breaks it is not gold.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks big enough to do the knife test.
Push the the tip into it, if it breaks it isn't, if it make a dent, it's probably gold.

From the pic, it looks to be gold but the darker/silvery areas are suspect but not a positive/reject by any means.

My best "go to" test is the shade test, Gold will still look like gold, even when a shadow is cast over it, non gold will darken or turn black.

If you have a gold ring and something brass, or even something that else that has gold color you can do this to see what I mean.

Once you see found gold, you'll never be in doubt again.....and never be the same :tongue3:

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other comments are correct and remember, gold with a high silver content or mixed with mercury from the old timers can look like that. Good luck.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Get a piece of tile , on the back of it (the unglazed side) scratch the piece of material across it and observe what the color is shown. Gold will be gold in color ! Its commonly called a scratch test.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it is Welcome also Good luck

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I tried the tests. It bends, a knife just dents it and the scratch test is gold-ish in color. Looks like gold to me!

Screenshot_20200530-180402.jpg

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Go find more of them and then compare to what you have. Usually there will be no doubt as to what it is, but sometimes gold can have a green or black color to it

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ALSO you can get examples of different Karet gold and mark down what the Karet is and when you do another scratch test on a seperat peice of unglazed tile , you can compare them to each other to get a idea of what the Karet is on your new peice !

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an inexperienced youth, I never had to perform tricks to decide if something was gold...no shading it and seeing if it still shined...no streak tests....no malleability test...when you have gold in your pan, there is no mistaking it. It’s obvious. The saying usually holds true...if you have to ask - it’s not gold.

Gold likes to hang out with friends...they all behave differently than everything else in the pan due to the EXTREME differences in specific gravity. Once you have seen gold and held it, you will never have to ask again. Gold is nearly 2.2 x the density of brass. Gold is over 3.5 x more dense than hematite or magnetite (the heaviest sands in your pan).

What else did you have in your pan...surely not just two pickers?

If you can’t get ahold of some concentrates, put some lead shot in your pan...gold will behave similarly even though gold is 1.7 x more dense than lead. Heck throw that first piece in the pan and practice keeping it there!

Sounds and looks like you found gold...I bet you will know it next time ; )
You must have a good spot..if it’s not already claimed by someone else..go back and find some more!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, what beginner’s luck! What state Teris?

I'm in Southern California. I had my son's crappy plastic shovel and kid's beach pail (that maybe holds a half gallon). I filled that pail 4 or 5 times and found those two pieces of gold. After watching the videos on this site about panning, I realize I was doing it all wrong and probably lost any fine gold that was in there. I pulled those two pieces out of the pan by sight using terrible panning technique and certainly no classifying. I'll go back soon and see if I can find more!

OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As an inexperienced youth, I never had to perform tricks to decide if something was gold...no shading it and seeing if it still shined...no streak tests....no malleability test...when you have gold in your pan, there is no mistaking it. It’s obvious. The saying usually holds true...if you have to ask - it’s not gold.

Gold likes to hang out with friends...they all behave differently than everything else in the pan due to the EXTREME differences in specific gravity. Once you have seen gold and held it, you will never have to ask again. Gold is nearly 2.2 x the density of brass. Gold is over 3.5 x more dense than hematite or magnetite (the heaviest sands in your pan).

What else did you have in your pan...surely not just two pickers?

If you can’t get ahold of some concentrates, put some lead shot in your pan...gold will behave similarly even though gold is 1.7 x more dense than lead. Heck throw that first piece in the pan and practice keeping it there!

Sounds and looks like you found gold...I bet you will know it next time ; )
You must have a good spot..if it’s not already claimed by someone else..go back and find some more!

I put these pieces in a pan with some dirt from my yard and they are way heavier than the dirt and behave like I'd expect gold to behave. The second/bigger piece looks "dirty" for lack of a better word. But when I scratch it, the dark color came off.

Those two pieces were the only gold I found, but I only had a child's beach pail and shovel (and my pan). I was also using poor technique. With the gold, I found a lot of silvery metallic flecks that I now assume to be mica. I'll let you know if I find more when I can get back out there!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put these pieces in a pan with some dirt from my yard and they are way heavier than the dirt and behave like I'd expect gold to behave. The second/bigger piece looks "dirty" for lack of a better word. But when I scratch it, the dark color came off.

Those two pieces were the only gold I found, but I only had a child's beach pail and shovel (and my pan). I was also using poor technique. With the gold, I found a lot of silvery metallic flecks that I now assume to be mica. I'll let you know if I find more when I can get back out there!

So it sounds like this was a spur of the moment decision to pan for gold. That tells me you definitely didn't research the ownership of the minerals. This is important because in California, the majority of the gold bearing streams have mineral claims along them (meaning someone owns the gold). The exceptions would be stretches of streams with special status that have been withdrawn from mineral entry.

I'm not saying ALL the areas are claimed, but there is a high possibility it could be claimed. There is no requirement to have the claim posted. It is up to the miner to determine ownership status before prospecting.

Even casual panning is stealing from the owner, similar to taking a watermelon from a farmers field.

It's a great family hobby to get into and there are many places to prospect without having to file a claim.

Ask some questions here about researching mining claims and you will get a bunch of help!
You may even get offers to pan on a claim in your area. Also good advice on what tools to buy/build.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So it sounds like this was a spur of the moment decision to pan for gold. That tells me you definitely didn't research the ownership of the minerals. This is important because in California, the majority of the gold bearing streams have mineral claims along them (meaning someone owns the gold). The exceptions would be stretches of streams with special status that have been withdrawn from mineral entry.

I'm not saying ALL the areas are claimed, but there is a high possibility it could be claimed. There is no requirement to have the claim posted. It is up to the miner to determine ownership status before prospecting.

Even casual panning is stealing from the owner, similar to taking a watermelon from a farmers field.

It's a great family hobby to get into and there are many places to prospect without having to file a claim.

Ask some questions here about researching mining claims and you will get a bunch of help!
You may even get offers to pan on a claim in your area. Also good advice on what tools to buy/build.
Good luck!

Yes, it was a spur of the moment family outing. We were at a very popular spot near my home, so I know for sure it's not a private claim. But that's good advice nonetheless and I appreciate it.

I have an Angus Mackirk sluice on its way to me now, so I'll see how that works out. And I'll be on the lookout for any other places in my area that can be mined without a claim. Thanks again.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Popular doesn't mean much. Private mineral claims do not affect public uses other than prospecting. So the public can use the land same as anywhere else..just no gold mining.

Unfortunately some claims are popular spots, be it due to river access, camping opportunity, swimming hole..or a beach. Signs just get torn down or ignored.

My dad has one near a campground that is popular : (

Search "Landmatters" on Google. Good resource to get started learning about claims and finding open ground.

Lastly don't take my comments as an insinuation that you were panning (or sand castle bucketing) on a claim..most everyone that gets into gold prospecting has a learning curve when it comes to claims. I had a greenhorn co-worker show me where he was mining...turned out to be private property! He now knows how to research and owns two claims.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Teris

May 28, 2020
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Popular doesn't mean much. Private mineral claims do not affect public uses other than prospecting. So the public can use the land same as anywhere else..just no gold mining.

Unfortunately some claims are popular spots, be it due to river access, camping opportunity, swimming hole..or a beach. Signs just get torn down or ignored.

My dad has one near a campground that is popular : (

Search "Landmatters" on Google. Good resource to get started learning about claims and finding open ground.

Lastly don't take my comments as an insinuation that you were panning (or sand castle bucketing) on a claim..most everyone that gets into gold prospecting has a learning curve when it comes to claims. I had a greenhorn co-worker show me where he was mining...turned out to be private property! He now knows how to research and owns two claims.

I'm not taking your advice the wrong way. On the contrary, I appreciate it very much.

When I say popular, I mean a popular place to pan and sluice. There are videos all over YouTube with people mining the area. Maybe that's not dispositive, but I took it as an indication that it's not private land that requires a claim. But I'll look into it further. Thanks again!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I trigger Clay correctly, he will chime in with a very well thought out and written primer on the two types of "mining claims"...Clay participates in the development of the Landmatters website, is a wealth of info and I know he is reading this.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some slightly true..slightly misleading information to trigger Clay in providing some helpful literature. ; )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread