Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few very, very nice things since December when I started the "season". With the tick's arrival any second, my "woods" season is at an end, with one last "field" trip in a couple weeks, and maybe a plowed field between now and then.

All of my keeper items (I don't do parks and its too soon for the beaches), I can hold in one hand. Seems like stuff is getting hard to find and landowners are getting crankier and crankier. I guess I have been spoiled in the past walking onto a site nobody knew existed and cleaning up. Not this year. So, how about you?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been out once, and the batts died as soon as I turned on the detector, so there's that. Maybe tomorrow.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few very, very nice things since December when I started the "season". With the tick's arrival any second, my "woods" season is at an end, with one last "field" trip in a couple weeks, and maybe a plowed field between now and then.

All of my keeper items (I don't do parks and its too soon for the beaches), I can hold in one hand. Seems like stuff is getting hard to find and landowners are getting crankier and crankier. I guess I have been spoiled in the past walking onto a site nobody knew existed and cleaning up. Not this year. So, how about you?
Thats a good point. I see it like the changing tides. Sometimes there are low tides, sometimes high. Same with money. Things were already drying up for new sites here in Nebraska when a new neighborhood expansion became apparant, and the demo of some old homes. So you just never know. Sidewalk tearouts and spring projects bring opportunities

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What settings do you use Smokey ? I ordered my new Deus 2 today, and am watching how to videos to get started. Like with any new detector, I start out with the pre programmed ones, then gradually add on. After 3 years with the White V3i...the Deus learning curve shouldnt be too bad. Whats a good starter program and setting for Coins and Jewelry ?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use program 6, Deep HC exclusively. I ground grab for the balance and just go. So it takes seconds to get into the swing. I went to a pounded site today with my club and found a brass grommet only. But I wasn't there more than an hour. Just had to get out of the house and take a ride.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use program 6, Deep HC exclusively. I ground grab for the balance and just go. So it takes seconds to get into the swing. I went to a pounded site today with my club and found a brass grommet only. But I wasn't there more than an hour. Just had to get out of the house and take a ride.
Ok, sounds good. What is the reactivity default on that program, do you stay around 2.5 or 3 ? Yea its gonna take some getting used to. Your program is recommended by an England detectorist I watch on Youtube. He gave a tip the other day about making the VDI numbers larger on the screen, and stressed using the General program.
I know have been missing a few things with the White V3i, it only goes real deep if you jackup the filters and Gain. Then it becomes unstable on most sites. It was tough for me to make the jump over to this newer technology, but its a must. Ihear ya about getting out of the house to detect, a day where I dont swing an hour or two just doesnt feel right !

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to look at the manual to answer that question, however I have a trick I'll share. If you have a decent sounding target that might be bigger iron, use the minus button to flip to program 5, run it over the target again and then back to program 6. Program 5 will "drop off" the sound if its iron.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been off to a "so-so" start this year, with about 60 hours of detecting time. My regular hunting grounds have not been producing as in the past, and its been tough to find new sites that haven't been worked to death. I'm not complaining mind you ( 11 silvers YTD), but nothing terribly old or interesting. Just gotta keep working at it and get creative when searching for new spots to detect. Best of luck to all.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, maybe the winter season is coming to a good end. On April 1 I got that little US gold coin. Today I went to a site that has been pounded and did pretty well. I had to "think out of the box" and actually dug a little. You know, rock piles, wire fence lines, digging in the old roadbed, trash, more trash and even more. Got 7 buttons including 2 nicer brass ones, an iron spoon and part of a silver plated one (think it's newer), bullets, scrap brass, a semi precious aluminum pull tab, Alabama CW button, a really nice flooring nail, ca 1800, US belt buckle. I am so tired and bummed over my cat its all still in the truck. I was just trying to get out of the house awhile. I hurried home to tend to him. Vet had called me while I was in the woods. No ticks yet, but they are coming. No pics. Machine is still in the truck too. I kinda wish I actually I could generate some interest in a "collection" at this stage, but I seemed to have passed that by. I just like the exercise and the "chase" anymore. As long as there's a scenic drive involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread