Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its not illegal to use a mag or SSS, read 1A-31
Looking is one thing, its the other part u need a permit for
Only if you move sand, do u need a permit, unless you are doing a 1A-31 then yes you need a permit to explore then dig and ID, the permit is so you can show what you want to dig and ID.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it legal to tow a magnetometer along the treasure coast of FL. Sidescan could be explained as reef survey but a mag has a pretty specific purpose

"Below the average high tide mark is State Sovereign Submerged lands where all artifacts belong to the state, and archaeological excavation is not allowed without proper permitting from this office. In most cases permits from the Department of Environmental Protection and the Army Corp of Engineers are also necessary. Digging or destruction of buried archaeological remains without the proper permitting from the Division of Historical Resources is a 3rd Degree Felony. Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging, and because it can never be predetermined whether a metal object is a newly lost item or centuries old archaeological artifact, it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water."---Florida Dept. of State 2013

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been towing my mag all over the Gulf coast for years.
DCP01058.JPG
DCP01058.JPG

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water."---Florida Dept. of State 2013
You said our policy, but not against the law,
Its not against the law to survey, with a mag or SSS Period, and that is the law.
If you are not moving sand You do not need a permit from Corps or EPA.

Not sure about just removing an artifacts while Not under permit.
Is there a Statue of law on that, if it is just lying there ??

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water."---Florida Dept. of State 2013
You said our policy, but not against the law,
Its not against the law to survey, with a mag or SSS Period, and that is the law.
If you are not moving sand You do not need a permit from Corps or EPA.

Not sure about just removing an artifacts while Not under permit.
Is there a Statue of law on that, if it is just lying there ??
267.13 Prohibited practices; penalties.—
(1)(a) Any person who by means other than excavation conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or attempts to remove or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters any archaeological site or specimen located upon, land owned or controlled by the state, land owned by a water authority, or land within the boundaries of a designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone, except in the course of activities pursued under the authority of a permit or under procedures relating to accredited institutions granted by the division, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, and, in addition, shall forfeit to the state all specimens, objects, and materials collected, together with all photographs and records relating to such material.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be easier to work out a contract deal as a sub-contractor to find the Atocha sterncastle (if done in a way not to interfere with investor dives).

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great to see I am not the only one still towing a Proton 3.
Any suggestions on how to tighten a loose tail fin on the towfish?
The Proton 3 body is PVC. Just use PVC cement. I did that to the block that holds the cable and it works great.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Proton 3 body is PVC. Just use PVC cement. I did that to the block that holds the cable and it works great.
One of my fins is just a little loose and wobbly. It seems like there is a mechanical fastener holding the fin to the tow body. I just hate to break off the fin completely. No way to get cement in the contact without going that route unless maybe some super glue and crossed fingers. (I think this might actually work).

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not live in fear of the state, live the pirate's life. If you find a gold bar in the sand and they learn of it, they will find every excuse in the world to take it away from you. Soon taking sand home on your shoes will be a felony the rate things are going.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my fins is just a little loose and wobbly. It seems like there is a mechanical fastener holding the fin to the tow body. I just hate to break off the fin completely. No way to get cement in the contact without going that route unless maybe some super glue and crossed fingers. (I think this might actually work).
A plumber would have pvc cement. It will bond pvc pipes together. You may need a small cut piece (Google rocket fin glue fillet).

Last edited:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your outboard motor fell off your boat,you dont need a permit from the state or anyone to go look for it with a mag or ss.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread