Is it true the CTX users are switching to the Equinox instead??

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read in a couple of places that a since the Equinox has came out that there has been a switch to the Equinox by those that were using the CTX.

I could understand the only reason would be for the weight and portability of the EQ. But I see where people claim the EQ would pick up targets just as deep as the CTX could. Plus the faster recovery speed of the equinox in heavy trash areas.

Just wanted to see if this was true in the minelab user world. I had an equinox 600. It is a very light weight unit. I thought it was a good enough decent machine. I must admit though, I wish it were built better.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is just as good as the CTX for target pickup. In some places it is even better because it is better at ground mineral elimination. Of course, it is vastly lighter in weight and easier to swing. There are a few things the CTX does that the NOX cant, but those things dont come close to justifying the price difference.

I swung the CTX since its first release. I knew it very well and did very well with it. I bought the Nox when it released and found it every bit as capable. I have not used my CTX since then. Its just a backup machine now.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is just as good as the CTX for target pickup. In some places it is even better because it is better at ground mineral elimination. Of course, it is vastly lighter in weight and easier to swing. There are a few things the CTX does that the NOX cant, but those things dont come close to justifying the price difference.

I swung the CTX since its first release. I knew it very well and did very well with it. I bought the Nox when it released and found it every bit as capable. I have not used my CTX since then. Its just a backup machine now.

Pretty much the same for me with the Safari'

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more note to the original question, "are CTX users switching to the Nox". Right now, the answer is "no". 2 years ago the answer was an overwhelming "yes". Forums that have model specific sections, saw their CTX groups go from being the most active to almost nothing. Any new detector release always generates interest and buzz, but the die hard Minelab CTX users who tried the NOX, in general didnt go back.

djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went the other way, Nox 800 to CTX and haven't looked back. It's a personal thing for me. I just didn't enjoy using the Nox at all. If the hobby's not fun, what's the point in doing it? I could be missing targets, but that doesn't matter to me. For me, it's more about being out and hunting than digging every single target in the field or park. This isn't to say either is better than the other. Both are fine machines.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been out swinging at all this year and here we are turning "September" in 4 days from today.

I used the CTX for several years, then got the 800 and the CTX is gathering dust. I can't say either is more capable - it's just all in a days work kinda thing. I know the CTX changed the way I hunted. Maybe I haven't given the 800 the due it deserves. I can't take the hot weather anymore, and to me it seems like it's always hot now. Cooler weather will come, and I really do have to get out and do some danged swinging.

I'm lazy now, but I did get out for a 6 pack of cold beer just now - regardless of what they're calling a pandemic. My pandemic was that this morning I wanted a cold beer - and I did it :) The store was fairly empty, and NO ONE was wearing any kind of mask.

I don't know how I'll do it, but I'll let ya'll know if I die from Covid :) !!!

tigerglide

Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use both along with the V3I but if I had to choose one the CTX is my choice.

sube

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I talk about this in April on this forum not much talk about it so i made a video . Seen to many videos of false information leading to how good it separates or any machine . Once we get to 5 inches separation is gone the coil is seeing 2 targets and not one it has to pick one target or a combination of the two but the ctx well see both but id well be wrong but well tell you there are two there video later on that should of included it but forgot .

I have had the ctx since release and one of the first to get the nox .The nox is a game changer for people that have not enjoyed using a minelab before but has not help me in the areas i hunt . I like the nox but it's not a silver slayer like explore e-trac or ctx it has to do with the frequencys it uses the freqs are to high compared to the fbs detectors one detector can't do it all just as the ctx is weak on nickels and small gold . The nox is weak on silver when trash is introduced and the ctx is weak on nickels with trash no trash with targets both good on there weak signals. sube

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ll be honest, I have both machines and the CTX is my favorite. That being said, I have yet to solely focus on mastering the Equinox and I have far fewer hours on the Equinox so my opinion is worthless concerning this comparison. Both of them are great machines.

I am looking forward to downloading the V3 update for the Equinox and taking it for a ride. The V3 may convince me not to sell my Equinox. Way too hot and humid here in Mississippi to do any detecting these days so we shall see once it cools off here.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I talk about this in April on this forum not much talk about it so i made a video . Seen to many videos of false information leading to how good it separates or any machine . Once we get to 5 inches separation is gone the coil is seeing 2 targets and not one it has to pick one target or a combination of the two but the ctx well see both but id well be wrong but well tell you there are two there video later on that should of included it but forgot .

I have had the ctx since release and one of the first to get the nox .The nox is a game changer for people that have not enjoyed using a minelab before but has not help me in the areas i hunt . I like the nox but it's not a silver slayer like explore e-trac or ctx it has to do with the frequencys it uses the freqs are to high compared to the fbs detectors one detector can't do it all just as the ctx is weak on nickels and small gold . The nox is weak on silver when trash is introduced and the ctx is weak on nickels with trash no trash with targets both good on there weak signals. sube

I watched the video you posted. Did you make the video?? I found the separation part with the 2 different conductive metals vs frequency was extremely interesting. I am going to try this with one of my XP units. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed your video very much!!

sube

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigtim yes i did make video would love to see your results with the xp . sube

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigtim yes i did make video would love to see your results with the xp . sube

Well I did not take a video of it however, I tried to mimic what you did and kind of got similar results as well but not as dramatic. I could not find a pull tab off hand so I just used a nickle and penny and since I had my ORX already set up ready to go I just used it.

Also I only have the HF 9' coil which is 14khz, 31khz and 54khz. I did not try it in the 54khz.

I went outside and found a spot clear on the grass to work with.

I placed the coins about 3 inches apart and started swinging over them. It would make a high tone for the penny and mid tone for the nickel. Depending on which way I swung over the targets back and forth normally the correct ID would respond from my ORX to what coin the coil was over. When I started to raise my coil to say about 5 inches or so the machine wanted to blend both signals into a larger mid range conductor item while swinging at a normal pace and also that was with both 14khz and 31khz. I do not know if it is because the nickel being a larger target the machine sees it better being on the same plane as the penny is on the ground or not. But at a normal swing rate, with the coil at 5 to 6 inches above the coins the ORX would see the coins as both one large target and have a mid range tone. However if I took and ran the coil over the targets slowly, the XP ORX would see 2 separate signals although the ID was off.

This is another reason to recheck your hole once you have recovered your target I guess because you just never know!! I found this very interesting and never pondered the thought on anything like this before.

It makes me wonder what all I left in the dirt while coin shooting!!!

Last edited:

sube

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did not take a video of it however, I tried to mimic what you did and kind of got similar results as well but not as dramatic. I could not find a pull tab off hand so I just used a nickle and penny and since I had my ORX already set up ready to go I just used it.

Also I only have the HF 9' coil which is 14khz, 31khz and 54khz. I did not try it in the 54khz.

I went outside and found a spot clear on the grass to work with.

I placed the coins about 3 inches apart and started swinging over them. It would make a high tone for the penny and mid tone for the nickel. Depending on which way I swung over the targets back and forth normally the correct ID would respond from my ORX to what coin the coil was over. When I started to raise my coil to say about 5 inches or so the machine wanted to blend both signals into a larger mid range conductor item while swinging at a normal pace and also that was with both 14khz and 31khz. I do not know if it is because the nickel being a larger target the machine sees it better being on the same plane as the penny is on the ground or not. But at a normal swing rate, with the coil at 5 to 6 inches above the coins the ORX would see the coins as both one large target and have a mid range tone. However if I took and ran the coil over the targets slowly, the XP ORX would see 2 separate signals although the ID was off.

This is another reason to recheck your hole once you have recovered your target I guess because you just never know!! I found this very interesting and never pondered the thought on anything like this before.

It makes me wonder what all I left in the dirt while coin shooting!!!

I got the same results as you using the ctx audio wise i could here both targets but could not tell the difference in tone target trace displayed the targets on the 12 line but tab was higher and coin was lower. The nox only gave a signal tone where the ctx would give two.
Your getting the wrong id because the targets are still bleeding together but does sound like the xp is separating them same as the ctx and the ctx is slooow but has a great id .

As to what your leaving lots you found out by going slower . sube

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my CTX since it debuted on Memorial Day 2012 and it has been with me through thick and thin, brush and dirt, water, mud, snow, and everything in between. It is the best coin machine I have ever owned, and pretty good at relics too. If she ever dies on me, I will immediately buy another one. There is no comparison to how well the CTX hits and accurately identifies coins at depth. My buddy has a NOX 800, and we have compared signals and VDI on deep targets in the field. Based on our tests in our soil, his NOX could not hit or accurately ID the targets and the CTX could. Targets included a silver Barber quarter, IHP's, and Civil War .58 minie balls. And junk. Lots of junk.

Also, Sube has lots of great videos on separation and iron and stuff. He is some kind of wizard with unleashing the true potential of the CTX. Check them out.

sube

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a quick video crappy at that but better than nothing hope you get something out of it .Going elk hunting for 3 weeks when i get back i will make a better video with more information then this one .This is only part of it but since this the best time of the year to hunt cooler temps and wetter i though i would throw a bone out there to help you out. Snows coming soon instead of waiting i made this crappy video for you . sube

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I do have both, the CTX and the 800. Maybe I'm a stupid turd, but both work for me. Maybe someday I'll get over my need for the best available at the time. Costs a heck of a lot of money doesn't it?

sube

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does cost a lot but in 8 years mine has payed for itself several times . sube

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went the other way, Nox 800 to CTX and haven't looked back. It's a personal thing for me. I just didn't enjoy using the Nox at all. If the hobby's not fun, what's the point in doing it? I could be missing targets, but that doesn't matter to me. For me, it's more about being out and hunting than digging every single target in the field or park. This isn't to say either is better than the other. Both are fine machines.

Same here. I am using my CTX more than my Equinox. I love the latter for the obvious reasons: large bright screen; lightweight; wireless; onboard charging; good depth; fast processor. However, I think the CTX has superior target ID and much better discrimination.. at least the way I run them. Also, the CTX can handle EMI much better. I run the Nox hot..sensitivity at 24. I got a nice curb strip permission recently and couldn't even use my Nox because of the overhead phone lines. I tried noise cancel and lowering sensitivity...even changed from multi freq to single and nothing helped. I ended up going home and getting the CTX.... no noise whatsoever... it worked like a charm...quiet...seemed unaffected by the phone lines and I could hunt normally.

I dig much less junk with the CTX. I rarely dig alum screw caps and fewer nails. Iron is easier to identify so I don't get fooled nearly as often by deep square nails. Depth meter is not very accurate on either machine, and I don't like the large target shift on the CTX.

When weather conditions are tough and ground is hard, it's not fun to swing the CTX. Still, I have found just as much with it and more... digging a Barber quarter this summer in a pounded area I've been over countless times with Equinox and Explorer.

The Equinox may be a tad deeper on wheats and Indians. I like to use it where there is less trash and coins are deep. I prefer to use the CTX when the ground is full of iron junk, hot rocks and ghost signals. The discrimination and target ID is so good that I have been able to locate good targets ( when present ) regardless of ground conditions.

Bottom line is I love them both. The Equinox is an effective and affordable hunting beast with all the modern features. The CTX has superior target ID and discrimination that helps you avoid junk, allowing more time to dig higher percentage holes.

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the freqs are to high compared to the fbs detectors one detector can't do it all just as the ctx is weak on nickels and small gold . The nox is weak on silver when trash is introduced and the ctx is weak on nickels with trash no trash with targets both good on there weak signals. sube"

That explains why my nickel count has been way way down since using the CTX! 8-) The Nox is superior if you are seeking old nickels and pencil erasers

Last edited:

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll be honest, I have both machines and the CTX is my favorite. That being said, I have yet to solely focus on mastering the Equinox and I have far fewer hours on the Equinox so my opinion is worthless concerning this comparison. Both of them are great machines.

I am looking forward to downloading the V3 update for the Equinox and taking it for a ride. The V3 may convince me not to sell my Equinox. Way too hot and humid here in Mississippi to do any detecting these days so we shall see once it cools off here.

The summer was brutal here in Michigan...can't imagine the humidity down in Mississippi! I've gotten to the point where I don't hunt as often in July and August. Heat and humidity with rock hard ground can make detecting miserable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread