Is it worth paying to get a 'dug' coin graded?

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can grade it yourself. Actually, if the guy is a collector, he can grade it, too. You both should grade it independently and come to a consensus on the grade. Use this website: http://www.barbercoins.org/Barber-Dimes-Grading.shtml. Personally, I grade it as VF-20, with environmental damage. Most dealers would price it at a grade lower due to the scratches, but that's something you and the homeowner need to agree on.
Here is a page with values: https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/1405/dimes/barber/1895-O/. You are looking at a value of $970 - $1388.
Nice find and good luck.

Scott
Thank you so much! I am a detectorist, NOT a numismatist! I like finding and then researching items, but only to a point. I realize coin collectors (who don't detect) have more time and frankly, interest, in researching coins. I just want to get this resolved to the satisfaction of everyone involved. Thank you again, for helping me do so!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest... Sell it on ebay and let the collectors/buyers decide the value. if you are already an established seller.

A good way to get a coin valued is to take it to coin dealer. See how much he will offer you for it. Then multiply it two or three times lol

Yeah right. lol

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1895 O mintmark? If so, it's a good one , in just "Good" condition it list at $600. The condition of yours is most likely higher as if in "Fine" condition it would be $1,100 This is from the January issue of Coins magazine. In 2015 it listed at $70 in good condition, and $215 in Fine, Nice increase in 7+ years. there were 720,000 minted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread