Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out today with Ironhorse, didn't think I would be as my Explorer has major issues and will have to hit the repair center. I decided I was done, but as the week went on I decided not to quit and borrow back a Garrett Ace I bought for a friend to use. So not only was this a kind or strange and lucky day, it almost never happened! Interestingly enough, the other 17mm version of this button find I currently have was also dug on a day I probably shouldn't have been out, but plans changed, I got the call, and out the door I went. That coincidence just hit me as I'm writing, but it's actually another connection I'll choose to write about, since I already filled in the subject line. :laughing7:

So IH and I get to a new field to try, him as usual with the Explorer, and me with my Ace. In a stupid way I was almost thinking I hope this is not the day we find a great site feeling that I was heavily outgunned, but those thoughts never stick because I would much rather see good stuff come out regardless of who gets it, then both of us go home with nothing. So we walk around this large field not getting much but some modern trash and the occasional old sign. I then see IH making his way to the other end, so I start to head that way and about half way there I get the famous Garrett belltone, like in the old days when I first started hunting.... dug it up and it was my first Merc dime. 13 years and it took an Ace 250 for me to find it, and at a place there didn't seem like there was much else. We did walk to the end of the field, got nothing, then made our way back towards the car and I dug two more signals and both were large cents! I'm thinking this 250 might not be so bad after all. :laughing7: Still not enough, and not old enough for our taste so we decided to hit an old favorite site and see if there was a keeper or two left. By this time, after 3 coins in a row my confidence was booming and just had that feeling I was going to dig something good.... but even with that feeling I didn't believe it because this particular spot has been hit hard for near 10 years. Anyway, we get to the 2nd site,make our way across the field, I start swinging over the iron patch and am sort of trying to digest what the detector is telling me, and within a few minutes dug a bell tone and the sound vanished once I got the dirt out, and my thinking was.... here we go, digging iron all day with this thing. As I was kicking the dirt back in the hole the detector swung back around and detected another target, this time it wasn't a belltone so I was more confident, dug the dirt and had a sudden flashback to 2001!

In 2001 I dug the best button I have ever found. It was a coat size Rev War King's American Regiment button with near all the gilt. I sent pics to a major collector who's reply was... The Detecting Gods have smiled upon you. Today when I found this button which is cuff size (17mm) seeing the gold gilt and then reading the words gave me a total flashback to 2001. So... it only makes sense that Mercury must be the Detecting God that collector talked about all those years ago. :laughing7: If you've read this far, and have read some of my previous posts you've probably seen me say a couple of times that it seems like history is repeating itself, or I am detecting back to the future. Well yet here is another hunt that has that same weird vibe, and makes me feel after my 2 years away from the hobby it was the right time to come back.

And without further ado.... Here is that awesome 1926 Merc dime! ;) But the button probably pays for the detector about 4 or 5 times over... not bad for the first day!

http://www.royalprovincial.com/military/rhist/kar/karlist.htm

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 936
  • kingcuff.jpg
    kingcuff.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 890
  • king1.jpg
    king1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 818
  • Loyalist Corps_htm_m32673cc1.png
    Loyalist Corps_htm_m32673cc1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Upvote 49

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cool finds....Go Ace...it's the piece for the Place!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Garret Ace is a good detector....great bottle top :laughing7: Found me best find at a old field, on a day I shouldn't have been there to. The 3rd banner is on the way I feel.:icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Garret Ace is a good detector....great bottle top :laughing7: Found me best find at a old field, on a day I shouldn't have been there to. The 3rd banner is on the way I feel.:icon_thumleft:

SS

It is a great detector for the price and can see why word of mouth sells a ton of them.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A thing of rare beauty !

Lucky you decided to go.
Lucky to make a great find on a 10 year pounded site.
Lucky mostly for the condition.
I don't have a single button of ANY kind with so much gold, much less a "good" one.

"out gunned" were you ?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's about as good as they can probably get.....nice Merc! Lol

Seriously, that is a wicked good find, and it will probably help Garrett sell a few more units

My roundness in the hole in the form of a goose egg put a big -Z-E-R-O- in the pock, next time I'll have to score something to post up and get back on track

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A thing of rare beauty !

Lucky you decided to go.
Lucky to make a great find on a 10 year pounded site.
Lucky mostly for the condition.
I don't have a single button of ANY kind with so much gold, much less a "good" one.

"out gunned" were you ?

You kidding, the Ace 250 is a cannon! :tongue3:

Yes, it was a very lucky day in many ways. What you see above was literally all I got, so obviously it was just swinging over the right one.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about as good as they can probably get.....nice Merc! Lol

Seriously, that is a wicked good find, and it will probably help Garrett sell a few more units

My roundness in the hole in the form of a goose egg put a big -Z-E-R-O- in the pock, next time I'll have to score something to post up and get back on track

I finally found how to shut you down... I'll give you a hint... It's yellow and finds buttons that are yellow. :laughing7: That's the coffee talking now as the rush of seeing the gilt has worn off. It does fire me up to get out there a couple more times though.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what it's all about right there...That's why I detect...Man I never get tired of looking at those buttons...Still high on my wish list...Remember IH found that one that made the banner only feet from me...That is an easy banner in my book as far as value and rarity!! Congrats buddy well deserved!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I finally found how to shut you down... I'll give you a hint... It's yellow and finds buttons that are yellow. :laughing7: That's the coffee talking now as the rush of seeing the gilt has worn off. It does fire me up to get out there a couple more times though.

Oh I would give it a couple more hours just for a chance if getting one half as nice, I'm sure it's not all tapped out yet

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I would give it a couple more hours just for a chance if getting one half as nice, I'm sure it's not all tapped out yet

I have no problem with that either. There's quite a bit of space on the outskirts that we really didn't hunt much. That said, I now have more of a craving for something I haven't found before.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to sound like such the idiot that I am. But just how good is that button? Could the knucklehead roofer get a history lesson?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible story and button find ! I'm wondering what kind of large cents you found ? That "merc" has got to have stature among your
finds - I relate it to the Indian Head cent that I've never found (after 9 years detecting ) I'll likely make a tiny frame for it and put it on the
wall ! The bell tone that you referred to , is this unique to Garrett's machines ? and is it in response to a silver target only ? Thanks !
(BANNER)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't have been more stunned when your title mentioned you and an Ace 250 in the same line.... :laughing9: Am glad to see it treated you well!

Banner button! :hello2:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to sound like such the idiot that I am. But just how good is that button? Could the knucklehead roofer get a history lesson?

Back in 1999 I found my first one of these and there was only a handful at the time. The New York Historical Society had one, but the big American collectors did not. At that time it probably could have got about $3,000. Now, not so much, but it is likely the best known 17mm version, and my find from 2001 is probably the best coat size. So it is a pretty good button.

Loyalist Institute: Index to King's American Regiment History

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible story and button find ! I'm wondering what kind of large cents you found ? That "merc" has got to have stature among your
finds - I relate it to the Indian Head cent that I've never found (after 9 years detecting ) I'll likely make a tiny frame for it and put it on the
wall ! The bell tone that you referred to , is this unique to Garrett's machines ? and is it in response to a silver target only ? Thanks !
(BANNER)

Just crudded up 1800s large cents. Nothing special. It is strange I haven't found a Merc here way up North, because I have found American coins. Not many, but have crossed several off the list.

The Garrett Belltones on any high conductive target... mostly coins and iron.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't have been more stunned when your title mentioned you and an Ace 250 in the same line.... :laughing9: Am glad to see it treated you well!

Banner button! :hello2:

I'd say it would be about 11 years since I left home to go detecting without an explorer. But yes, it worked out pretty good.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1999 I found my first one of these and there was only a handful at the time. The New York Historical Society had one, but the big American collectors did not. At that time it probably could have got about $3,000. Now, not so much, but it is likely the best known 17mm version, and my find from 2001 is probably the best coat size. So it is a pretty good button.

Loyalist Institute: Index to King's American Regiment History

Nice, thanks for the link.
Congrats on your finds, if you notice that 250 was my first detector, haaaaaaaaaaaaa. I found my first Merc with it.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, thanks for the link.
Congrats on your finds, if you notice that 250 was my first detector, haaaaaaaaaaaaa. I found my first Merc with it.

I had an Ace for a very short time in the late 80s. Ain't no comparison what you get now compared to then.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Man what a awesome button....I can't believe the condition...The gilt is incredible... Major Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions