Is Metal Detecting Allowed in the San Gabriels?

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
Is Metal Detecting Allowed in the San Gabriel's?

I used to live up in the San Gabriel Mountains at the now closed "Follow's Camp". Even though I was living in Gold country, at that time I was too busy to do anything but recreational panning. Found a little color, not enough to retire on though.

Every week I'd go a little further up the canyon, past Camp Williams and would see panners, sluicers, and people using dredges --- but I've never seen anyone using a metal detector for prospecting along the East Fork.

It's probably ok from the East Fork "steel bridge" --- up to Cattle Canyon, but I've written and e-mailed the BLM and the U.S. Forestry Service and have been waiting for an answer for a little over six weeks.

Anyone have any experience prospecting with a detector along the East Fork?

Thanks. --- Socalal

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Is Metal Detecting Allowed in the San Gabriel's?

your question might get muddied when some bureaucrat you mailed sees the word "metal detector". Even though you're inquiring about detectors for prospecting (nuggets), unfortunately, detectors are often seen in the light of coins and relics. So the latter purpose (if you asked enough archies), might get someone's feathers ruffled. Even though you say "nuggets", they simply see the words "metal detector" :P

Question for you: what's to stop you from simply going and doing it? I mean, is there someone up there in those remote parts that cares less anyhow? Like, you may find someone to tell you "no" in response to your mail, when in reality, if you'd just gone, you'd have been ignored or never seen to begin with. Kind of like asking if you can pick your nose, someone will tell you "no" >:(

OP
OP
Socalal

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500

Thanks for your "opinion" Tom, however, I have been detecting for over 30 years and rushing right in without doing research or asking questions does nothing but hurt the hobby/sport of metal detecting (plus the fact that I come from a family of law enforcement officers --- and we like to ask.)

You've probably seen this before. Well, we try to live by it:

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics

I WILL respect private property and WILL NOT trespass without the land owners permission.

I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.

I WILL NOT litter, always pack out what I take in and remove all trash dug in my search.

I WILL leave all gates and other accesses to land as found.

I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I WILL abide by all laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern my search, or the area I will be in.

I WILL fill all holes, regardless how remote the location, and never dig in a way that will damage, be damaging to, or kill any vegetation.

I WILL report the discovery of items of significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation.

I WILL Be an ambassador for the metal detecting hobby. Be polite and informative to those who inquire about your hobby - you are the ambassador of a pastime we want to protect and we will be judged by how you act & respond.

Thanks again for the opinion. --- Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Al, I read the entire list of the code, and fail to see where your spot runs afoul of. Are you planning, (or were you suggesting that I promoted) any of those things? Ie.: were you planning to litter? tear down buildings? trespass? (it's a public place right?), leave gates open? not cover holes? etc.... Of course you & I will abide by all those things. The only thing I'm afraid of by asking permission (as if it was needed to begin with) on public land, is that too often, you find people to say "no", when in fact, no one really cares. That's all I'm saying. I guess it's like coming to an intersection while driving, and seeing no signs that prohibit a U-turn. If you see no sign that prohibits a U-turn, then one assumes he can make a U-turn, right?

OP
OP
Socalal

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used

Tom,

No Sir, wasn't planning on destroying anything. I was referring to:

I WILL abide by all laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern my search, or the area I will be in.
You don't know what the laws, ordinances or regulations governing the area are -- unless you ask.

I think we've drug this on long enough don't you?

--- Al

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Related to this thread....I recently contacted a US Forest Service Office to ask if metal detecting was permitted in our local National Forest. I was forwarded to at least three different people, none of which would say "yes" or "no". I did get a lot of discussion about being sensitive to archeological sites and minimizing ground disturbance. They asked what I wanted to do and I told them: look for old coins and relics. After some more dissuasive discussion, the ranger finally said she would mail me a copy of the regs. They showed up two days later and I read them. Short story: metal detecting is allowed in this National Forest, it says so in black and white. I plan on carrying a copy of the regs with me.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

As for the San Gabriel's, you can detect for nuggets under the 1876 Mining Law, but they have lots of private claims in that area as do others. You can call the Nat. Forest, BLM or who ever administers the area to find out. I know that the CADFG has say so on fooling around with sluicing and water activity in that area, I think the area is open right now. Last week Dana Point Val found a nugget up there.

Hi Ziphious:
It's different at each agency, but keep a copy of the Regs handy anyway.

OP
OP
Socalal

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used

Thanks Guys --- Maybe, with a little persistence, I too can get a copy of the Reg's. I'll check with my local Metal Detecting Shop.

Thanks again.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Don't try metal detecting in the City of Azusa, it’s against the law. You can drive about 25 miles or so north of Azusa and start there. That area is located in the Angeles National Forest and is set up for recreational prospecting, call them if you want. The farther you get away from the masses, the better your chances will be. The road going up there might be closed, so check it out first.

Gold Luck.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you're up there maybe you should ask for Bernie McGrath... Check it out

PLL

[youtube=425,350]Hk9wAbplgY0&hl[/youtube]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread