All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on why you get into the hobby, if you are in it to sale your finds you will get frustrated quickly, if you are in it for the thrill of the hunt and the history you might find you will enjoy it, especially in Europe where the history in metal goes back thousands of years.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the reason you are getting into detecting if you are getting into the hobby as a means to get rich save your $250.00, if you are getting into detecting to get out and find some pieces of history or find some pocket change and possibly some jewelry with the possibility it is precious metal and get some fresh air and exercise then do it, but it isn't a get rich quick or even get rich a long ways down the line type of deal, it is a hobby or even a passion that people pursue because they go into detecting because it will be something for enjoyment. If you are having to question if it is worth it, it might not be for you. I am just being honest and trying to save you some trouble deciding.

Last edited:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ... ... :hello:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I am thinking for quite a long time about buying a metal detector for around 250$ .But is metal detecting really worth it I mean can it get frustating easily? and do you loose fun fast? 250$ thats a lot for me

( I live in europe)

Welcome to TreasureNet!

Research. Sites chosen (and why). And permission to hunt will be as important as having a detector.

In any hobby , (Cars , guns, eggbeaters) there are varied price points. Often related to perceived quality and ability.

You might look into a metal detecting club near you to ask questions. Test drive some detectors.
And or a shop selling them that let's you operate them.
Used is not a crime when buying. But be sure it is what is being represented by the seller...
A detector you can sell if you lose interest beats a cheaper one no one wants.
And a too cheap of a detector may leave you wanting to upgrade.

Maybe study and research detectors in your area while you budget and save enough money you don't regret purchasing a hobby tool..
Places to hunt. Reasons to hunt places. You can spend a bit of time doing research first. Detecting without doing so is hunting on a whim. Which may disappoint unreasonable expectations.

Mescalero1

Greenie
Jun 26, 2020
San Fernando Valley
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is an art. You just don't grab one and go out there. You have to learn how to use, what it is a capable of. Then, you have to decide what you are going to target. It's a lot like being a musician. I have been playing guitar around 55 years. And you just don't get a guitar and go out and start playing. You have to learn how to play and that not all guitars are alike. Then you have to decide what genre you are going after. Are you trying to being a rock star or doing it for the love of playing? You always take a chance. You might never find anything or maybe you will find something great. But you will never know until you do it. And, if you give up too quickly, you will never know.

Like I have told all people I have taught guitar to, start slow. Take your time and don't let all of these "guitar heros" intimidate you. One day you might be just as good or better than them. And, there will always be someone who is better at it than you. Do it because you enjoy it, not because you want to enter a competition.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into as a kid - age 12... 1975 and i'm still at it
I was a land hunter my first 20 yrs - now Im mostly a water hunter
Ive met a lot of nice people thru the hobby over the yrs
found a lot of nice finds over the yrs
had days that were great and didnt find much - just nice to be away and out
and days where I killed it and worked my butt off and was burned beaten and broken at the end of the day
felt like work than fun but reaped the rewards from hard work
I do pretty good in the gold jewelry dept. - this was most of the gold from one of my better yrs
attachment.php

I had guys at work wanting to get machines - thinking it was so easy
most went out a couple of times and quit after getting tons of nails and bottle caps
a few had $$$ in there eyes too and when they hit some old areas and finding
old relics and some nice coins (some worth a few bucks) changed their minds on selling and started collecting
you got family, friends and/or co-workers that got some old property...might be worth it
you live close to a beach or 2 ...might be worth it
do a search on detecting on you tube - 1000s out there with cool or good finds
if you are bored - here are some articles i wrote - some may help - some might inspire
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save your money, buy football tickets instead.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a question you ask yourself in your own head :-)

I started off with a machine called and Garrett ace 150. It cost about $120. Metal Detecting can be frustrating, until you learn how to use the machine. You should learn how Metal Detect is actually work, and then that makes your use of the tool a lot more smooth.

If you buy a Garrett, or a mine lab metal detector, as long as you do not trash it, you can sell it for basically what you bought it for. So if you have a couple hundred dollars to spend on this hobby, you won’t actually lose out on very much if you decide that it’s not for you.

And just so you know, the thousands and thousands of people who hunt in the United States would love a chance to hunt anywhere in the old country, Europe.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To say again that the hobby is for the fun, freinds and the things you learn, researching those Fragments of History...!
Don't thro them away, as they are pieces to The Puzzle of History - you may not re-write history, with your finds,
but they will help you understand the people who dropped those objects, where in that point of time, they were likely
very important.
....And, the hobby is addictive.........!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth it? Want an adventure outside? Want to find stuff you might have walked over unaware before? Exercise? Then yes.

Want money? No. Go to a bank.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth it? Want an adventure outside? Want to find stuff you might have walked over unaware before? Exercise? Then yes.

Want money? No. Go to a bank.
I got into detecting to add to my coin collection as a kid - age 12 ...1975
at 16,17,18 i used finds (lots of silver in the ground in late 70s)
to buy my first 3 cars and hit tot lots for gas money
bought my first 3 piece suit with money from finds at age 16
got in it for the hobby but it has helped me throughout the years financialy
when i bought my house pretty much furnished whole thing with gold sold
ive made many jewelry returns and help others find lost items - property markers
gas and water shut offs and other stuff that needed locating
i still have a lot of silver and gold in my collections along with valuable relics
wrote over 30 articles for a treasure mag - been offered 2 detecting tv shows
and made it in Fisher's catalog a few yrs ...the hobby has been exciting :thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am thinking for quite a long time about buying a metal detector for around 250$ .But is metal detecting really worth it I mean can it get frustating easily? and do you loose fun fast? 250$ thats a lot for me

( I live in europe)usps tracking showbox speed test

Well GlanePito, you have received a lot of opinions, what are you going to do?:skullflag:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's worth more than watching sports, a movie, or even cable TV. And all of these cost more annually.

My detector takes AA batteries and I keep ahead of demand with the clad coins I find. Have found many rings, some gold chain, silver coins - but haven't sold any. I give away the jewelry.

But it's fun, fresh-air, educatonal (if you stick around here and identify finds). So, for me, it is worth it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess one will never know unless they try-$250 is a lot to some-nothing for others.
First detector in the family cost a good rifle and $150 and that was over 50 yrs ago.
Now I have to spend over $2K on one plus extras.

Is it worth it?
Well some get a return, and the return is what they work for, many hundreds of hrs.
I could of bought one of the best trucks out there/or a small house with the money spent on this hobby/passion over the 5 decades.
The trips alone air/fuel/lodgings alone-was it worth it? I could of bought every find 10x cheaper and in great shape as well.

Peace of mind. No $$$ can replace/buy that one-when I go out-the world stays out. That is priceless to me.
It's the value one puts on something-when $$$ comes into the equation it many times alters the feelings of what they really want/enjoy in life.

Lots of great suggestions/options offered.
Many $250 machines sit in the back of the closet-gifts/thought they might get rich quick/didn't get that gold on the first hunt/ reasons.
Place an ad up to buy one of those dust collectors-hundreds if not thousands are sitting there waiting to be used.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some excellent comments to this thread, bordering on the spirituality of a hobby. And, to me, at least, it is a hobby, not a source of income. While we all enjoy or aspire to find something valuable, it is the experience that is truly valuable IMO as we do the best we can during our all too brief time here.

I compare treasure hunting to my past deep passion for fishing. Five decades ago, I truly fished every day and kept detailed logs at the time. I didn't do it commercially for profit and I didn't need the food - although seafood was then and still is an important part of my diet. I only kept and keep still, fish that have hooking injuries that I assess to be mortal (and as a biologist, I can assess that). Good equipment certainly helped me to enjoy fishing then, and some of it has been kept and still used today. Now when using a fishing rod or reel over 50 years old, part of the enjoyment also derives from the memories of past friends no longer around, and past experiences that cannot be repeated today at places that have been so altered that fishing is not possible there and the species sought may even no longer exist. Some of us appreciate fine fishing boats and each has an opinion on what constitutes a gimmick in their design and what is useful to our purpose (I happen to like hand-layed, not chopper gun, fiberglass construction finished on both sides and with convenient tackle storage, for example). Some of those preferences derive from experience and some may be a form of snobbery as well. I fish little today because I find the behavior of slobs to distract from my enjoyment. (even when metal detecting, I'm distracted by holes and trash left by others and stop to repair the damage) In addition, when I'm out fishing and see an eroded area, I can't help but go and investigate what relics/fossils/coins, etc might have become exposed.

Like fishing, metal detecting does not pay me in any material way. But to be outside in the fresh air and to learn something from the experience is, as the commercial says: "priceless".

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth it to me. Free exercise, early morning views of the sunrise, just being outdoors in nature, peace and tranquility, and oh yes, every now and then you will find something worth keeping ! Price of the metal detector $ 250.00 - everything else, priceless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread