Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've mainly been using my Deus as I'm in some hunted out places with bad dirt.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Just noticing the fewer and fewer posts lately. Are people using different detectors these days?
My excuse is that I haven’t been feeling good; going through nasty chemo treatments (lymphoma) so haven’t been detecting. Hope to get out soon, though. ^_^

waitin' on spring.giving my knee a chance to feel better by resting some.
be back wackin' curb strips with the mojave in a few months hopefully

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less posts and threads about the Tesoro since they went bankrupt and it became obvious they would not return.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope your recovery goes well, Pinenut! It's winter up here and the ground is frozen... no detecting for a few months, unfortunately.

When I am able to go out again, I'll probably use my DeepTech Vista X most times. Not a Tesoro but it definitely has something of the Tesoro spirit -- ultra-fast analog machine.

-Ken

FenderBass

Greenie
Mar 9, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish540, Tesoro Vaquero, BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes on your health pinenut! I used mine a lot this spring, but I am a hardcore fisherman, play golf, bowhunt, garden, and detecting tends to fall away. I have a Vaquero and have enjoyed it since about 2007 or 2008. I am browsing around t-net and considering maybe a new unit for 2021. I like the idea of something submersible being offered in other brands, or at least something that can handle wet beach sand such as the multi-frequency Vanquish, as I usually take a week trip to Gulf Shores every winter. Not this year thanks to COVID.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
if you grab the "vanquish" you won't regret it! i have the 540 "pro-pack"
detector is really good.truly a 'sleeper" upon introduction!.8" coil is great in the crap!
12" coil great for open field running! multi-iq at a great price point!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Toltec II that I've had since the 90's. Still going strong. Although lately I have been looking around at other models. Kinda liking the wireless headphones, and rechargable battery idea.

jml818

Sep 26, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded in my Tesoro bandido couple years ago for Garett AT Max. Best decision i ever made.:laughing7:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't trade my Tesoro, my best finds were made with it. Besides, my wife's best finds were made with too, and she won't let me sell or trade it. Nuff said.

FenderBass

Greenie
Mar 9, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish540, Tesoro Vaquero, BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you grab the "vanquish" you won't regret it! i have the 540 "pro-pack"
detector is really good.truly a 'sleeper" upon introduction!.8" coil is great in the crap!
12" coil great for open field running! multi-iq at a great price point!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Yes it does look intriguing! I watch all these videos about the Nox and other VDI machines, people seem obsessed with vdi, but when you look at the numbers and cheat sheets, good finds are still pretty much spread across the VDI numbers. Most vids I watch people dig the targets either way. the VDI is usually bouncing around. They just seem to really care what the vdi says regardless of the object recovered. It looks to me that the fun for some people is seeing if their machine is "correct". like it makes them feel better. They still dug. And that is one of the reasons why I got my Vaquero in the first place- To not let a number fool me into not digging a target.
I saw a cheat sheet on the Vanquish. Seems odd that the copper is in the low 20 range, when on a Tesoro copper and silver all never discriminate out, so it appears to be at the "top" of the discrimination. I cant wrap my mind around that with these minelab numbers.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Tesoro detectors are like my kids. I ended with more than I really needed but kept finding them for sale. A good used T 2 would be a good choice for you. The Nokta machines arre great , so is the Equnox 600 and 800 and Duis ... Iuse a Fisher F 75 and a Nokta Impact but the Vaquero is always close by in the truck. Look at Nokta Si,plex

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Yes it does look intriguing! I watch all these videos about the Nox and other VDI machines, people seem obsessed with vdi, but when you look at the numbers and cheat sheets, good finds are still pretty much spread across the VDI numbers. Most vids I watch people dig the targets either way. the VDI is usually bouncing around. They just seem to really care what the vdi says regardless of the object recovered. It looks to me that the fun for some people is seeing if their machine is "correct". like it makes them feel better. They still dug. And that is one of the reasons why I got my Vaquero in the first place- To not let a number fool me into not digging a target.
I saw a cheat sheet on the Vanquish. Seems odd that the copper is in the low 20 range, when on a Tesoro copper and silver all never discriminate out, so it appears to be at the "top" of the discrimination. I cant wrap my mind around that with these minelab numbers.

not to worry! multi-iq on th vanquish is new technology. the van quish also uses 5 distinctive tones which makes determining the target easier. tesoro utilizing a single tone makes you a much better hunter because you
need to train your brain as to what may be good and what may be junk! tesoro's are a ton of fun! the vanquish is too. just different approaches to accomplish the same results also the vanquish is fantastic at the beach in the wet
sand the multi-iq technology makes it happen!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a Cleansweep coil for my Tejon. The Tejon had been sitting for years as it had trouble at the beach. I moved on to the surf pi, CTX, equinox, excal, gp extreme, da da da. But this Tejon Cleansweep combo is awesome - just got to keep to the dry though. Found gold and diamond ring and two Kennedy half’s hundreds of feet apart. Other detectors must miss them - my first in years. Light, put a Bluetooth transmitter on it for headphones. great!

dirtdigest

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2021
Texas
Detector(s) used
Nautlilus, Nokta/Makro, Minelab, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a 4 month visit to care for my mother who went through Chemo. I took 2 metal detectors with me and one of them was a Tesoro. Less and less people using the Tesoro's these days it seems. They aren't fancy but they are still my top choice relic hunting the fields of Ohio. they get through the iron better than most others in my opinion.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticing the fewer and fewer posts lately. Are people using different detectors these days?
My excuse is that I haven’t been feeling good; going through nasty chemo treatments (lymphoma) so haven’t been detecting. Hope to get out soon, though. ^_^
Just lurking through here, being a former Vaquero and Compadre owner. Blessings to you, hope you heal up soon. You got this!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a new Simplex last year and have hung up my Tesoro Vaquero and Silver uMax. I may decide to pull out the Vaquero on a site that I hunt first with the Simplex. Get all of the trash and shallower targets out first with the Simplex and then go back over it with the Vaquero in super tuned mode to get any remaining really deep stuff. And I will take them out if I have people come with me. But for most of my detecting they will stay in the shed.

The bottom line for me is that although the Silver uMax and Vaquero are great detectors, they just aren't conducive to the type of hunting that I want to do. I know that Tesoro users will give you their opinion about how great the audio is and how they can instantly tell what is under the coil just by listening. But for me, even after 15 years of using them I just don't have that kind of fine tuned ability. So a beep and dig machine can be great for some places, but for really trashy sites, it can mean digging countless pieces of trash that just drags down the whole experience. Having a target ID and depth indicator (even ones that aren't 100% accurate) is a real game changer for me. And of course, the Simplex still has good audio so you can learn that as well just like you learn the subtle audio differences on a beep and dig machine.

I actually went away from detecting for about 5 years due to family commitments and basic lack of interest in the hobby. Getting the Simplex rekindled the fire for me. I got out detecting over 30 times last year which is probably more times than I've gotten out in the past 10 years combined. I think that a lot of that difference had to do with the beep and dig style of the detectors I was using. It just wasn't fun for me.

Nothing against Tesoro. They make (made) some of the best beep and dig machines available. I still marvel at what they did for the money. But the new technology is a whole different experience and well worth the upgrade. If it wasn't, people wouldn't be buying the Simplex and NOX at the rates they are buying them.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
what you say is true for tesoro!..thay need to be learned. the 'distinctive " audio
is what it's all about.if you don't learn the audio ,then using the tesoro can be exasperating.
the only other way to use a tesoro,is to "crank" the discriminator up past 'pull tab" and go at it!
once "mastered" the single tone tesoro is a "sweetheart!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread