Is nobody using their Tesoro lately?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you say is true for tesoro!..thay need to be learned. the 'distinctive " audio
is what it's all about.if you don't learn the audio ,then using the tesoro can be exasperating.
the only other way to use a tesoro,is to "crank" the discriminator up past 'pull tab" and go at it!
once "mastered" the single tone tesoro is a "sweetheart!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I can certainly believe it. But I just never mastered it. First off, with little kids I really didn't have a lot of time to detect. So I would go out about 5 times per year. That's just not enough to learn a machine well enough to master it. By the time I got through the winter, I had really forgotten everything and had to start from scratch. The other problem was a catch 22. How do you find out what a good signal sounds like if you never get any really good signals? For example, I found one gold ring. But by the time I dug it up I had no idea what it had sounded like. And air tests just don't quite help with learning sounds.

So overall I just never really warmed up to it. And that was totally my fault. But I have heard countless people tell me how great those machines are once you learn the sounds. So it has to be true. I just never gave it a fair shake.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
it is true! the best way is to bury targets in a 'coin garden" and go over them so your brain will make the 'connect'
if you will.lots of people learned the tesoro by just using it in the field, and remembering what targets sound like after
"going over them frequently!" this is time consuming, however, it is the right way to do it! 'air tests' are helpful, but not always
accurate, because 'ground minerals" are NOT taken into consideration which can change" the various tones of the targets tested.
again,paitence is 'required" and a lot of people just don't have it,and they tend to shy away from "beep and digs" a good feature about a single tone tesoro
is that very little depth is lost when setting the discriminator high so you can get away with just digging good targets at good depths.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a good feature about a single tone tesoro
is that very little depth is lost when setting the discriminator high so you can get away with just digging good targets at good depths.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

This is the only thing I'm going to argue with in your statement. I think this depends on the machine. I can crank the discrimination up on my Vaquero and see no difference in depth. But if I crank the discrimination up on my Silver uMax, it loses depth like crazy. I can't even detect a silver dime at 2" with the discrimination set high on the silver uMax. Not sure why that is but that's just the way that machine has always worked.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
This is the only thing I'm going to argue with in your statement. I think this depends on the machine. I can crank the discrimination up on my Vaquero and see no difference in depth. But if I crank the discrimination up on my Silver uMax, it loses depth like crazy. I can't even detect a silver dime at 2" with the discrimination set high on the silver uMax. Not sure why that is but that's just the way that machine has always worked.

that's unfortunate was "not' aware the silver umax lost depth, but then again, i have never owned one either.
i have a "mojave" and it does "not" lose depth, and ''assumed" that they were all the same! apparently not!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
What is this Vanquish you speak of? Tesoro's latest offering?

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the Tesoro compadre..I just haven't been able to get out as much because of work. I like its light weight and ability to find the tiniest of objects. However I am thinking of upgrading...getting something that goes alittle deeper...and can handle salt water beaches...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still using my Cibola, and is my favorite of the two machines I use.
I'm thinking of selling or trading my Gold Bug Pro, for a Simplex, tho....:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife actually asked me if I want to do some detecting today..!
Think I’ll take the Mojave out for a couple hours. ^_^

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old silver saber sitting in the corner looking at me. it's a very light weight, easy to use machine that is used as a guest machine . It's found a ton of civil war relics in it's day and will not be sold anytime soon.

Don't forget to pull the batteries on all your unused machines or a bad surprise awaits you.
I had batteries destroy a game camera after only being in for 4 months..

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife actually asked me if I want to do some detecting today..!
Think I’ll take the Mojave out for a couple hours. ^_^

Funny you mentioned that, as one of the last times I hunted, my wife suggested that I go metal detecting, while she painted...! She's the artist in the family, however one of our grandsons, is an artist too, now....
Too much snow on the ground here, but next week I'll be using my Tesoro again, in gold rush country....

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
There is a line now drawn between the analog detector and the digital detector. I have both but I sure enjoy detecting on both sides of the line. The analog side (Tesoro) is pure detecting...what you hear is what you get. Listen to what it's saying with no digital computer generated signals or numbers to average. Just pure analog signal.
I still like it and do believe advancements will be made in analog ID for those who prefer it.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Vanquish range are very understated. The 540, 440 and 340 all perform exceptionally well on salt water beaches from the dry sand to the wet.
They are sensitive enough to ping quite small gold chains although the TID readings can be quite low from 1 all the way through to 28 depending on the gold grade and ring size. Also a broken /cracked gold or silver ring can produce an intermittent low iron tone. The 340 groups a lot of good targets of different kinds under the same TID icon.
In All Metal Mode the iron ID is not to bad but can sometimes give a high tone on rusty items and steel bottle caps.
I find that if the signal is a shallow target giving multiple hits as the coil passes over it that if you slowly raise the coil while scanning the target and the tone changes to a low tone and back to a medium to high tone as the coil is slowly raised higher then the target will almost always be ferrous.

In any case when hunting beach targets it is always wise to dig all signals no matter which detector you are using because even modern machines with their tricky TID systems and excellent salt handling ability can still be fooled by small gold and silver items....especially cracked or fractured gold rings and chains.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for bringing this up. I haven't detected in a while and my Tejon has been sitting under the seat of my truck for two years. Hot summers, cold winters. After reading your post I remembered it being there and the wind chill here in MI has been about 30 below. Recently, I nabbed it from the truck and brought it in for a cleanup and it's running great and ready for spring. I just did a simple air test and it's banging quarters, nicholes, and dimes at about 9-10 inches. The keep it simple philosophy that was engendered into these machines is just absolutely incredible.

I just ordered a 10x13 Mars Tiger coil for it and will post an update when I get it. I am thinking about picking up a Nox because of the waterproof design, I like hunting in the rain sometimes. But frankly, after watching hours of video of people hunting with these machines, I'm a little worried about how they just don't seem to go very deep. The digital multiple frequency concept appears great on the surface, but it doesn't seem that these detectors can pound deep into the ground like a Tejon or E-track.

Last edited:

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
the simple build quality of a tesoro cannot be over stated. they are really tough
as you are so well aware. yes! the purity of the analog signal is something to behold.
i don't leave my mojave in my car during the winter, but i'll bet i could and get away with it.
i DO sometimes leave it in the car during the summer, but at least one window is cranked down a little
to circulate air.the audio is sooo telling on the mojave,a true classic.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the simple build quality of a tesoro cannot be over stated. they are really tough
as you are so well aware. yes! the purity of the analog signal is something to behold.
i don't leave my mojave in my car during the winter, but i'll bet i could and get away with it.
i DO sometimes leave it in the car during the summer, but at least one window is cranked down a little
to circulate air.the audio is sooo telling on the mojave,a true classic.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I had a Mojave but I sold it to a friend as a favor. Now I regret it every day. They are deep little machines and will pound hard on coins. The one I had, had no problems keeping up with the Tesoro.

Luciano321

Feb 26, 2021
Panama, Central America
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre
Tesoro Sand Shark.......(Out of Order)
Minelab Soveregn GT...(Out of Order too.)
Gemini II (Long ago)
Fisher 1280X (Long ago).
T. Sensor....My first device.
I tried dowsing.
I tri
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you get well soon...
The only detector that I have left in working order is the Tesoro Golden Sabre...I still use it, however the device is unstable...I bought in 1985, it still works but is not solid as it should be...The Covid thing has affected the tourism business in which I work but as soon as the economy starts picking up I will get me a good detector. Sadly the Tesoro company went under some years ago---I will try a Fisher or a Minelab both of which I have used in the past.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting season up here in the mitten state is usually from late spring to early to mud fall. So april/may-september. Sometimes a bit before and a bit after. Depends on how the weather is for that year.
I just bought a house and will be moving in the next month or so, so that may take up a chunk of my time, but I should be out when it thaws here.
Had a couple nice days here and there but few and far between until April/May

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detecting season up here in the mitten state is usually from late spring to early to mud fall. So april/may-september. Sometimes a bit before and a bit after. Depends on how the weather is for that year.
I just bought a house and will be moving in the next month or so, so that may take up a chunk of my time, but I should be out when it thaws here.
Had a couple nice days here and there but few and far between until April/May

Congratulations on the house!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread