Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I know that feeling! I'm loaded with aches and soreness from having a bad knee (bone on bone), but I gotta tell ya
when it comes to getting out to detect,i force myself through the pain, and make it work for me!
I use a 31" t handled "sampson" as a cane,and a digging tool, and it allows me to make it happen!
I hope you can get through it so you too, can continue!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I hope you get well soon...
The only detector that I have left in working order is the Tesoro Golden Sabre...I still use it, however the device is unstable...I bought in 1985, it still works but is not solid as it should be...The Covid thing has affected the tourism business in which I work but as soon as the economy starts picking up I will get me a good detector. Sadly the Tesoro company went under some years ago---I will try a Fisher or a Minelab both of which I have used in the past.

when you are ready, you might try the 540 vanquish from Minelab. if ever there was a '"sleeper" upon introduction,
then this detector is it! I'm no mouthpiece for Minelab,but this little detector is really a "'stunning" coin sniper.
it's "short money" lightweight, and Multi-iq. simple to operate too..just some thoughts!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't think of a better pair to use where I am, than the black Cibola and the Compadre I have. The Compadre for tight spots, while the Cibola does 90% of the work. I love them both. I hate to have to resort to another company now, but I need a saltwater rig at some point, I'm itching to try some spots I know on the Texas coast.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't think of a better pair to use where I am, than the black Cibola and the Compadre I have. The Compadre for tight spots, while the Cibola does 90% of the work. I love them both. I hate to have to resort to another company now, but I need a saltwater rig at some point, I'm itching to try some spots I know on the Texas coast.

If I didn’t already have a Sand Shark in really nice shape, I’d be looking at an Excalibur II.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinenut. Hoping you have a quick recovery

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I didn’t already have a Sand Shark in really nice shape, I’d be looking at an Excalibur II.

Thanks Pinenut :) I'm going to look into the Excalibur II. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, even though my oncologist says I’m not doing too well.. I got out yesterday to one of my favorite local detecting areas. It’s a small one but it’s the third gold ring I’ve dug right in that area. Maybe some chubby 5 year old lost it or it could have been an anniversary gift..?

D3F06EB9-30C8-4045-B8EA-D96326EB7B18.jpeg
7B4CBD3A-C101-40BA-B9D3-41A4C5F0BE54.jpeg

Looks like over $2 in grubby change but no silver or even a wheatback. Nice to get out for some good air for a couple hours though and always nice to find a ring. Was using my Vaquero with the stock DD coil, BTW. I usually prefer a concentric but that area is loaded with hot rocks and not too much trash - so the “widescan” went on. It does do better around all the hot rocks. :)

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Nice! Looks like a G... bottom side uppards.

Get well soon!

g

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone buy the remains of the company? What happened to the parts, stock, IP? Probably would have made a good little home business for someone. I still sometimes think of a Mojave....but truth be told the Minelab Vanquish 340 is probably just as capable, even cheaper, just as light yet multi frequency.

chub

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, even though my oncologist says I?€™m not doing too well.. I got out yesterday to one of my favorite local detecting areas. It?€™s a small one but it?€™s the third gold ring I?€™ve dug right in that area. Maybe some chubby 5 year old lost it or it could have been an anniversary gift..?

View attachment 1926612
View attachment 1926613

Looks like over $2 in grubby change but no silver or even a wheatback. Nice to get out for some good air for a couple hours though and always nice to find a ring. Was using my Vaquero with the stock DD coil, BTW. I usually prefer a concentric but that area is loaded with hot rocks and not too much trash - so the ?€œwidescan?€? went on. It does do better around all the hot rocks. :)

Great saves! That one item looks to be a Ski Pole Basket....!

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great saves! That one item looks to be a Ski Pole Basket....!

I believe that?s exactly what it was - an old one. The aluminum blob thing looks like an old slingshot handle, broken off. The area I usually detect is one of the local mountains and it?s been a snow play area for about a hundred+ years or so. I think that?s the fifth gold ring I?ve found on that same mountain.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tejon got pushed into the closet for an AT Pro then a Simplex. I still have great respect for my Tejon with deep relics in forest soil, and certain fields. It’s staying with me. Ive pulled fur trade relics out of a spot with damp mild soil from serious depth. Those that know, don’t have to justify keeping it.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still use my Tejon here, use the 10x12 widescan for the open areas and spots that have a lot of iron I jump back to the 8x9 concentric. DD coils in general don't handle iron and mask out way too easy when compared to concentrics.

Hope things get better for you Pinenut

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my simplex since I got it but now that the newness is wearing off I realize it has it's place, not at the beach in my experience but it is a deep detector. I was going to go detecting in my yard today with the vaquero but the weather came back. Soaking wet in the peidmont area of nc . maybe tomorrow if it dries out . Hope you're doing good.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticing the fewer and fewer posts lately. Are people using different detectors these days?
My excuse is that I haven’t been feeling good; going through nasty chemo treatments (lymphoma) so haven’t been detecting. Hope to get out soon, though. ^_^
It has been so busy for me at the post office...I carry mail on a rural route...doing 12-13 hour days...lots of packages...I miss using my tesoro...will pray for you...and hope for a full recovery...

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old post, but just came across it. I took my Lobo ST to the desert with a half dozen others, (see detector used list). I was trying to find a target that the others did not get. I did not come across any, (doesn't mean they don't exist). With the Lobo the signal was quieter than most of the others but it did get it, (lead birdshot). I filmed it, but it was sunny and I did not see the camera strap from the camcorder was in front of the lens. The VDI machines do tend to pick out coins with good or close numbers, but still struggle with everything else. It will be a happy day when a detector can tell the difference between aluminum, lead and gold.

For a newer beep and dig type machine, have a look at the Nokta AU Gold.

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticing the fewer and fewer posts lately. Are people using different detectors these days?
My excuse is that I haven’t been feeling good; going through nasty chemo treatments (lymphoma) so haven’t been detecting. Hope to get out soon, though. ^_^
I use my Tesoro ALL the time!! When I'm asked what machine I'm using, I'll say Tesoro Cibola and they never publish it. They use all the other machine brand names though....Oh well. I love the simplicity and I've dug tons of stuff with my Tesoro. Love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread