Is the Manticore finding things the Explorer couldn't?

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
One of my old hunting buddies asked me that question. He used an Explorer for years with me, and knows how well I like the Explorer II. I thought some of you may want to know the same thing. Keep in mind I have only used the Manticore for about five outings. Here is what I told my buddy:

It is, but I wonder if it's only because I am digging stuff I normally pass up. A couple exception are the large cent, an Indian cent and that seated dime. They were clear signals even rotated at 90 deg. So either I never passed over them or the Manticore is seeing stuff better. The IH and seated both had part of a square nail within 4-5" of the target. (probably a null on the Explorer at 90 deg.) I think the Manticore will hit and report better after a 90 deg turn. It is so fast and seems to blank out the iron and report a good signal at the same time. I have been getting better on the pesky deep iron false which is a pain - but I have to dig them.

My only gripes are that it is chatty and the pinpoint is too loud on shallow stuff. The chattyness can be minimized by noise cancel and or ground balance. But it just comes back after a while. I can run 28 on the sensitivity. Had it up to 31 a few times but wen back down. It goes to 35. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
Well, I spent 4+ hours at the pounded park we hunted hard with the Explorers back when. Had high hopes - but not much luck. One wheat at about 4 inches and an IH at about 8 inches. I was able to open up the sensitivity to 35 with pretty stable operation. I thought I would find more... Dug a shit-ton of deep holes with nails in the sides or somewhere way down there. They were all iffy, but worth checking. It would have been nice to have one of them be a coin, but no. So it goes. There are really iron/trash covered areas I figured would have something. Oh well, again I am learning. Not liking the deep iron false at all.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
My old buddy pointed out that finding anything at a park that is "hunted out" is a good day. He is right! Here are the welcomed goodies.

Attachments

• 031623.jpg
    031623.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 26

Herbieelectric

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2012
Great post…I am very interested in these type of comparisons and feedback….I am kicking the tires on the Manticore (if you can find one) to jump from the CTX…..after watching all the YouTube videos and posts about the iron false issue and comparison to the 800…..I will hold me breathe for the CTX 2….which I think many of us dream of. Still fun to watch others pull anything out of a hunted out honey hole with new tech.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, between trying/comparing a 900 and a Manticore, revisiting a couple park spots that I literally covered an insane amount of times (w/At pros, nox800, D2, Legend), every recent visit produced a highly masked/deep Indian and/or merc dime, which is ultra rare around here any more. The 900 even got me a mega deep Rosie dime, in my own front yard, that I've detected so many hours it's ridiculous, lol. Got tricked by some deep screws/staples/nails, but I can live with that, considering their ability to sniff out those hidden gems that are still out there. Hopefully more time on th new machine will reveal clues to help with all that, or an update maybe. I'm impressed and excited about how well these two can sniff out the masked targets and extra deep targets. The manticore has proven to have deeper ability to id. The 900 will sound off, but sometimes like iron, similar to how 800's did, without a good vdi, but slightly deeper than 800 was. There's definitely some merit to the manticore's new multi iq+ I guess. Then I went out for a hike and broke my leg, so haven't been able to get out again, yet.

Herbieelectric

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2012
Well, between trying/comparing a 900 and a Manticore, revisiting a couple park spots that I literally covered an insane amount of times (w/At pros, nox800, D2, Legend), every recent visit produced a highly masked/deep Indian and/or merc dime, which is ultra rare around here any more. The 900 even got me a mega deep Rosie dime, in my own front yard, that I've detected so many hours it's ridiculous, lol. Got tricked by some deep screws/staples/nails, but I can live with that, considering their ability to sniff out those hidden gems that are still out there. Hopefully more time on th new machine will reveal clues to help with all that, or an update maybe. I'm impressed and excited about how well these two can sniff out the masked targets and extra deep targets. The manticore has proven to have deeper ability to id. The 900 will sound off, but sometimes like iron, similar to how 800's did, without a good vdi, but slightly deeper than 800 was. There's definitely some merit to the manticore's new multi iq+ I guess. Then I went out for a hike and broke my leg, so haven't been able to get out again, yet.
Thanks for the info and sorry to hear about your injury. Wish you a speedy recovery to get back to detecting.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
Sorry about your leg! Hang in there, hope it heals fast.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robin -You did pretty decent though :)

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thin I notice about the Manticore is if you think it's an iffy signal check it out in all metal with the horseshoe try to determine if it grunts and does the VDI and 2D change, if so it's probably junk

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
One thin I notice about the Manticore is if you think it's an iffy signal check it out in all metal with the horseshoe try to determine if it grunts and does the VDI and 2D change, if so it's probably junk
Thanks for the tip MackDog. My last trip to a hunted out park, I put the horse shoe on for the whole time. I think it was easier for me for sure - not so many iron falses or at least it was easier for me to understand them. I'll probably hunt that way for a while. Ended up with two Indian head cents, a wheat and clad dime. All were down in the 10" range. Good sounding signals except one IH was choppy. Had fun. Seemed like my battery life went down a little quicker though, maybe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread