Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT w blue coil, minelab...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I see the area on you’re photo and I wasn’t going to ask but the question is burning because I know where that is so, have you been to the ruins and in the mine Shaft and is the door still there?ive been wanting to make the hike with the team but our research is focused on a different area and will be for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B9FDF0E6-9558-4D0B-A48F-C015F9C7F985.jpeg

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what we are working on right now. (PEDRO) PED on the CABALLO horse map 66415B49-0836-4F65-BA33-9A408B731E4C.jpeg

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry , I forgot to do it . You can do it for me if you want to continue in this manner .

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flying around Arizona is fun.

Superstitions and WN straight ahead....C152

needleahead.jpg

Left base for KSEZ....PA28-151

SEZ_base leg.jpg

Saguaro Lake from 4500' .....C172

Saguaro Lake.jpg

And one more from closer to home...C152
Over the Welland Canal on the way to Niagara Falls.

Welland_Canal.jpg

I don't need to credit any of them, 'cept the one of Sedona, which was taken by my passenger on that flight.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry , I forgot to do it . You can do it for me if you want to continue in this manner .

We can continue, if YOU continue to use (and flip) other peoples photos in your posts.
Doesn't do much for your credibility IMHO.
Do you even know approximately what heading the aircraft was on in the original photo from that album ?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can continue, if YOU continue to use (and flip) other peoples photos in your posts.
Doesn't do much for your credibility IMHO.
Do you even know approximately what heading the aircraft was on in the original photo from that album ?

I always used and other peoples photos to complete the puzzle .
Also , I don't forced anyone to believe what I am writing here .
I don't know many about airplanes , but I believe is a Cessna .

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2::read2::read2:Wow I was way off, that's not that interesting to me I have zero interest in weavers needle I mean no offense to anyone, bluff springs mtn is of more interest to me than weavers needle it's Kool to look at, I mean correct me if I'm wrong,, both bluff springs and weavers needle have been combed pretty darn well over the years, I'm much further south in to the pinto creek silver king nunsuch rocks area on the south central border of the wilderness where we know borders a heavy mineralized area that has ruins that are dated and archeologicalynoted and studied by usda forest service and some areas have attributed to the dept of antiquitys,library of congress ect...the deffenition of insanity,doing the same thing repeatedly expecting different results, why waste Resources at bluff springs or weavers needle when the trail leads south?🤠🇺🇸

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro18

Nobody offended . Everyone has his own method to do a research , which in his own mindset believe is the correct one .
What make the difference between everyone's research ? The results . So , if someone is not satisfied of his own research , then could try in anothers if it would been revealed ( by theirself or by others ) . It's up to everyone to do what he believe is necessary for the better results .

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't discount The entire area surrounding WN , since that photo does show what appears to be a ring fracture surrounding and abutting the peak.
And such faults, related to volcanic caldera formation, often contain deposits of gold and other precious metals, though not where Marius has indicated.

Last edited:

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't beleive the pit mine is the dutchman but possibly just a random mine or someones diggings from years past

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a nutshell ......
The "pit mine" was well documented in mining news reports a number of years before Waltz passed away, and was one of the claims shown on relevant maps of the day.
It was described as mainly a silver producer, but with pockets of gold as well. Ted Cox, and even those who used what was in his writings could have "re-discovered" the mine by researching the older publications, just as those following this and other threads on the topic have done, rather than following "Jacob's Trail"...IMHO.

Last edited:

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to dis agree with you sir, I hope to be sharing photos soon to support my rebuttal. I do know that “(THE PIT MINE)” is still very rich it’s alluvial gold the main vein where it originally protruded the ground is long ago mined and gone, gold is also the dominant mineral in this vein with Silver being the nex most prevalent mineral and copper being the 3 most prevalent mineral excluding the matrix or overburden, if I may/-2200 oz AU per ton dose not come from a silver dominant producing mineral site.

Last edited:

ORO18

Aug 17, 2017
everywhere/Phoenix AZ.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1538981
Marius is this the "Church" you are talking about? This is across from the pit mine, or should I say a pit mine as I do not know if it is the same one as topic as it is not near Rogers spring, but in Rogers Canyon up high.

Joe, I hope the knowledge that your friends here feel your pain lightens your soul.
I like this pic it looks close to my area.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to dis agree with you sir, I hope to be sharing photos soon to support my rebuttal. I do know that “(THE PIT MINE)” is still very rich it’s alluvial gold the main vein where it originally protruded the ground is long ago mined and gone, gold is also the dominant mineral in this vein with Silver being the nex most prevalent mineral and copper being the 3 most prevalent mineral excluding the matrix or overburden, if I may/-2200 oz AU per ton dose not come from a silver dominant producing mineral site.

Sounds like you are talking about an entirely different "pit mine", rather than the well known dig that this topic is all about.
2200 oz/ton ?
Do you have any photos of the ore samples from which your assay was determined ?
Something like this maybe....( from a reliable "source")

the real mccoy raw ore.jpg

Although nowhere near 2200 oz/ton, a few grab samples like that one would brighten up the bookshelf.

Last edited:

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are talking about an entirely different "pit mine", rather than the well known dig that this topic is all about.
2200 oz/ton ?
Do you have any photos of the ore samples from which your assay was determined ?
Something like this maybe....( from a reliable "source")

View attachment 1581261

Although nowhere near 2200 oz/ton, a few grab samples like that one would brighten up the bookshelf.

Very pretty rock!

Is interesting, an old timer years ago told me that gold was only found in milky quartz, stay away from glassy quartz. I've always followed that advice. Looks to me like your sample is not all milky, but has some glassy-ness to it.

Just goes to show you, keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new every day.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "glassy" appearance is due to a quick dip in acid, followed by a warm water flush.
Makes the sample prettier for the photo I'm told.
But I have noticed that some samples straight from the source vein show less color in the areas of quartz immediately bordering the gold itself.
So it might have something to do with the temperatures of the fluids from which the deposit/vein was formed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread