artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the Safari with the stock coil for a year now, and I'm still feeling a bit frustrated with the machine. :BangHead: I know that this is really nothing to complain about, but I need to be heard here!!! :hello:- does anyone else have the feeling that the Safari goes TOO deep? (I know, I know, there's no such thing as too deep, right?) I mean, everything that I dig is at 10+ inches, which is great if you are detecting a farm field, but not so much when you are detecting someone's front lawn or a manicured park. I'm still struggling with pinpointing with this machine..after all, if you've just dug a 12" deep hole and made it wider and wider, it's not always easy to find the needle (or rusty nail) in the haystack. There are times when I've simply given up because I've dug canyons and still the signal is in the hole!! I also find that I can't trust what the numbers are telling me. I can't tell you how many times I've dug aluminum beer cans that ring up as silver. UNTIL they are out of the hole, and then they ring as trash. I also get the feeling that the Safari isn't great in trashy areas, which is where I seem to end up detecting quite often. In this case, the machine sounds like a synthesizer, and I really struggle with if I should dig those signals or even which signal to dig or where to dig. I have difficulties finding repeatable signals and I notice that I get signals at the end of my swings that I can't find again or that I get 5 or 6 different tones on one swing. If I swing the coil over the same spot several times, the signal seems to disappear. I wonder if buying a smaller coil be a good idea. I'm not 100% sure I want to keep this machine, so I've put off "accessorizing" it. I hate to admit it, but my finds were so much better with my cheapy ACE 250- before I laid out the $1,000 for the Safari! I know that the Safari is a great machine..I'm just questioning whether I selected the right detector for me. It's not that I'm not trying here..I read Andy Sabisch's book, watched the U-Tube instructional videos, did the test garden thing..it's when I get out in the field that I start having issues. I've tried adjusting the sensitivity, but always end up putting it back in the factory preset mode. I REALLY want to learn the ins and outs and bells and whistles of the Safari. I love this hobby, but I'm also feeling very discouraged because I haven't found anything worthwhile in quite a long time, and I really think it's because I'm doing something wrong. :sadsmiley:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First......SLOW DOWN!
The Safari isn't like an Ace, so you can't swing it like a weedeater. Swing speed should be 3-5 seconds each direction. Any faster and you get false signals and inaccurate IDs. Look for repeatable pinpoint-able targets.

Next......Pay attention to how the tones sound. Tones that sound LOUD and show as deep are suspect. When you hit one of these, try raising the coil as you sweep back and forth over the target. If you get the coil more than a foot above the ground and it still sounds loud it's deep junk (like your pop cans).

If you want to hunt shallow targets only, then reducing the SENS is the way.

And to locate targets in the hole, get a good handheld pinpointer like a Minelab ProFind-25 or Garrett Propointer. The time and frustration that a good pinpointer will save you is worth the cost.

Hope this helps!
GL&HH!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've been going through the same thing with the thing sounding like a synthesizer in more trashy ground. What I recently figured out was that the "auto" sensitivity setting is too high for trashy areas. I cut it back to 11 or 12 recently, a lot of the crazy sounds disappeared and I still found a nickel at 7". If you are doing well with the machine in places with no trash then try the lower sensitivity in the trashy zones. Signals at the end of your swing is often indicative of a sweep where your coil tilts at the ends of your swings. Takes some practice to keep it level at the end of a swing, it's in the wrist. Longhair's tip about raising the coil to help determine if the target is large junk is also a good idea if coin hunting. A smaller coil will definitely help in the trash, but I know the cost of a smaller coil and extra lower shaft isn't a small matter. I wouldn't mind hunting with another Safari user to compare notes with but I haven't heard of any in my area. Any clubs up by you where you could meet with someone who uses the same machine? Might be a way to get some personal help/training. Have you tried going back to where you didn't do well with the Safari with your Ace?? You should try that to see if you were missing anything, but you probably weren't but at least you'd know. No matter what machine you use you still have to put the coil over something good before you can find it.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally, some good solid advice. Thank you both! :smileinbox:
I will slow down my swing, because I know that I do have a tendency to go too fast.. & I will make sure that the coil stays level with the ground. I will also try being more adventurous experimenting with the sensitivity. I wish that I could find someone experienced with the same machine to take me through it, because I learn way better by watching and repeating than I do by reading a book. I've made it a point to avoid using the ACE while I'm trying to learn the Safari, because I'm confused enough without switching back and forth between two detectors. I also know that I have to get out there and use the machine more than I do and use it in areas where there's less trash, even if that means just clad until I really get the hang of it.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently ordered a 6" DD "excellerator" coil for my safari and got to use it for a couple hours today for the first time. Ran me about 130 bucks but I feel it will pay for itself. I took it to a well hunted area of my backyard and pulled quite a few things up that I had missed before. It really impressed me. I hit a copper penny at 8" or so on the second signal. It's much easier to pinpoint with the smaller coil for me, and I found some very small targets today such as a rivet from a pair of jeans and some small pieces of chicken wire that were barely visible. Found a motorcycle key and a small heart shaped locket that may be gold plated as well this evening. I can't wait to spend more time with it and snipe out some more coins.

My numbers may be slightly off but I read somewhere that the stock coil detects around 120 square inches at a time. The 6" coil drops that down to 20 square inches at a time. So it takes longer to search and may cost you a little depth, but you have way fewer signals under the coil at the same time which makes picking out the good ones that much easier. Works for me. Good luck with your safari!

mmjjbb

Greenie
Jun 1, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
White's Goldmaster, Prizm IV, Spectrum, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am still in the "noise" mode of learning.. SUPER advise

Thank you all

Mark!!

mmjjbb

Greenie
Jun 1, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...
Messed with the sensitivity, and the threshold a bit................
WHAT A DAY....
Most coins I have ever found! Longhair, your advise was spot on.
DUDE you ROCK, Thank you all for your input, made my day!

screndname

Jun 8, 2013
western pa
Detector(s) used
minelab safari, minelab pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First......SLOW DOWN!
The Safari isn't like an Ace, so you can't swing it like a weedeater. Swing speed should be 3-5 seconds each direction. Any faster and you get false signals and inaccurate IDs. Look for repeatable pinpoint-able targets.

Next......Pay attention to how the tones sound. Tones that sound LOUD and show as deep are suspect. When you hit one of these, try raising the coil as you sweep back and forth over the target. If you get the coil more than a foot above the ground and it still sounds loud it's deep junk (like your pop cans).

If you want to hunt shallow targets only, then reducing the SENS is the way.

And to locate targets in the hole, get a good handheld pinpointer like a Minelab ProFind-25 or Garrett Propointer. The time and frustration that a good pinpointer will save you is worth the cost.

Hope this helps!
GL&HH!

i'm in my 2nd year with a safari and slowing way down netted me a 1842 seated liberty dime 2 weeks ago. this year i'll try moving from the factory settings.
a smaller coil helped a bunch in super trash areas. good luck

mmjjbb

Greenie
Jun 1, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Play with it, do those minor adjustments...it worked for me!!

Keep me posted!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to sensitivity, more isn't always a good thing.

I heard an analogy that I thought was pretty good. It compared running the sens too high to driving in fog with your high beams on. That's not to say that less is always more either, just that there are times when running as hot as possible doesn't corollate with being successful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread