Is there any REAL proof about the log platforms and 90 ft stone?

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is evidence of logs used on Oak Island to build corduroy roads.

By virtue of it being something that one can be shown repeatedly and reproducibly with reliable photographic evidence from trustworthy sources. When evidence exists we know something to a high degree or certainty. When it doesn't exist we don't. Evidence is not something we induce by working a suggestion backwards and finding a barrel full of possibilities that fit what evidence we would have liked to start off with.

There was also a nice area of paving stones over the ground nearest the cove that we know is colonial (colonial era stuff under it). When a similar area was found in the "swamp" it's no problem to suggest it is much older. Go figure.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you invoking the Egyptian sun God Amen, King of all kings? As I suspected a lot of you pseudo-Historians are actually religious fundamentalists looking to prove your stories.

Not what I replied to? What I replied to there had to be a Creator for everything to exist so harmonic.

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not what I replied to? What I replied to there had to be a Creator for everything to exist so harmonic.

Harmony is a mathematical concept. The Greeks certainly appreciated it on "paper". You likely have them to thank for it being a living relic in your current religious views that are highly influenced by geometric ideas and arithmetic. What we have in the real world are things that are only closely approximating ideal relationships. An example of that is our musical notation formalism, which is not perfect, but close enough for our ears to be called that.

All these beautiful things that apparently reflect the golden mean in their construction (shells, i.e.) don't actually do that when you look at them closely. They are only near enough, sometimes not even that close, to lead people to bad conclusions about perfect design and intent.

Funnier, huge arguments over the exact base angle of the Great Pyramid have for long preoccupied some people who want that physical symbol to reflect something perfect that they demand be there to echo their idea of divine perfection. No matter where you look in the real world you find large scale phenomena guided by chaotic processes that end up mimicking something that looks rather well planned. It's a huge problem when it come to those who see only with the eyes of of child.

If we exist at all it is because of a fundamental asymmetry and the falling apart of higher dimensional super symmetry at some asymmetry engendering fork in the road. If you want to call perfection God you have his counterpart to thank for your existence. It's a rather poor way of describing your status in a story, though. I don't think you need to look at yourself as having fallen from perfection. Best to accept one's imperfections as a reflection of an imperfect state of affairs that allows everything.

You claim to like Francis Bacon. Bacon would tell you your religion is a poor attempt at a Utopian story for a given time. He knew a thing or two about it, having watched the Tudors tweak it as they desired for their own interests. What is closest to the truth is what came first as an inspired story, according to him. And what came first is not what has come after that has evolved from it. Amen indeed. Sun God. Giver of light. Illuminator. Great ideas borrowed over and over...

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SSR, you had written "Local German legend had spoken of strange geometric goings on in Chester Bay." That's the very first time I have heard of this, so I"m wondering if you could give me a nudge in the right direction to learn more about that. If not, that's fine, but I figured I'd at least ask. Cheers, Rowan.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Perhaps. Not so harmonic in solar systems near a super-nova, pulsar of quasar. They're fried. Next big asteroid impact will "reset" life on Earth. Harmony is a human concept of things going the way humans think should. They are harmonious to us because we evolved in their presence. Some poor schmoe from Proxima Centauri might die of oxygen poisoning and UV burns in minutes on our planet.

BUT, while I don't believe God still pulls every string and pushes every cloud . . . there had to be some unknown (at this point) reason that natural laws in the Universe are what they are. As far as we know that are consistent throughout the Universe and they are MUCH more enforced than the 10 Commandments. You can't choose to defy gravity and say "today I will float above the ground" without applying some additional force to counteract it. Why, from what may have been a little something did the Universe become what it is? Energy behaves a certain way. Matter behaves a certain way. They interact and exchange in a certain way. "Mind" and "thought" are human concepts, but was there a purpose outside and pre-existing this Universe that created this Universe?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Harmony is a mathematical concept. The Greeks certainly appreciated it on "paper". You likely have them to thank for it being a living relic in your current religious views that are highly influenced by geometric ideas and arithmetic. What we have in the real world are things that are only closely approximating ideal relationships. An example of that is our musical notation formalism, which is not perfect, but close enough for our ears to be called that.

All these beautiful things that apparently reflect the golden mean in their construction (shells, i.e.) don't actually do that when you look at them closely. They are only near enough, sometimes not even that close, to lead people to bad conclusions about perfect design and intent.

Funnier, huge arguments over the exact base angle of the Great Pyramid have for long preoccupied some people who want that physical symbol to reflect something perfect that they demand be there to echo their idea of divine perfection. No matter where you look in the real world you find large scale phenomena guided by chaotic processes that end up mimicking something that looks rather well planned. It's a huge problem when it come to those who see only with the eyes of of child.

If we exist at all it is because of a fundamental asymmetry and the falling apart of higher dimensional super symmetry at some asymmetry engendering fork in the road. If you want to call perfection God you have his counterpart to thank for your existence. It's a rather poor way of describing your status in a story, though. I don't think you need to look at yourself as having fallen from perfection. Best to accept one's imperfections as a reflection of an imperfect state of affairs that allows everything.

You claim to like Francis Bacon. Bacon would tell you your religion is a poor attempt at a Utopian story for a given time. He knew a thing or two about it, having watched the Tudors tweak it as they desired for their own interests. What is closest to the truth is what came first as an inspired story, according to him. And what came first is not what has come after that has evolved from it. Amen indeed. Sun God. Giver of light. Illuminator. Great ideas borrowed over and over...

Why do we attack somebody's religion on this site?

Cheers, Loki

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why are you invoking the Egyptian sun God Amen, King of all kings? As I suspected a lot of you pseudo-Historians are actually religious fundamentalists looking to prove your stories.

Actually, he is using the English equivalent of the Hebrew word "amayn", which in itself a variation of the Sumerian/Chaldean word "ameh" (in use before the rise of the Egyptians), meaning "so be it."

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any REAL proof that the log platforms and 90 ft stone actually existed?

I thought the search for stone being out in the yard at the Helen Creighton Heritage Museum was odd. In episode 7 their source says where a huge shrub is.... but in episode 13 they actually dig next to the shrub. Did they do a ground penetrating radar scan of UNDER the shrub?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fake 90 foot stone was carved and produced by a company in an attempt to keep their income from the hoax going and were looking for one last payday before leaving the island.

After that it was thrown away...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fake 90 foot stone was carved and produced by a company in an attempt to keep their income from the hoax going and were looking for one last payday before leaving the island.

After that it was thrown away...
I think you are giving them to much credit... I don't think they even made one. No one actually ever saw the stone that was meant to have the code on it. The people trying to raise money from the investors just "claimed" it was seen and interpreted as that code. The actual stone that was found simply had a few scratches on it.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of the past 2 posts might be true and there again might not be true. No one can prove it either way of course...Ironically the group that claims to have first found the stone gave up within days of finding it as the pit kept filling in with water. So they didn't "milk" their investors for more money. By the time they could have gotten that info back to their investors they had left the island. Remember this happened before phones and emails and bank transfers....

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any deep hole anyone may have dug on the island would have filled with water, especially with all of the natural underground waterways...no imaginary water traps ever existed.

The company gave up a few days after claiming they had found a cryptic stone not because of water, but because of a lack of investor money coming in after investors didn't fall for the fake stone claim.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the first I have ever heard of that. I've always read they left after not being able to pump the water out fast enough. Granted others came in behind them I believe with better pumps and did more digging at some point...

Also if your the first person digging a deep hole on and island ( remember it is not a floating island ) they have a better chance of digging deep without it immediately filling in with water ( would be some luck involved as well here ) then the folks that keep coming in afterwards and you have holes and tunnels all over the place filled with water like it is now. It will be almost impossible to do at this point...

Last edited:

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any REAL proof that the log platforms and 90 ft stone actually existed?

The only reason I can imagine for these platforms is to hold ladders... say they cover the left 1/3 of the hole and a ladder drops down to the platform on 1/3 of right etc etc. A space would be needed to haul dirt up to the top.

But if this was the case, it would be difficult to completely refill the hole without leaving big air spaces under the platforms unless dirt was lowered down in buckets and tossed beneath the platforms.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Or if there was a 90 ft stone is there any proof that it was found at 90 feet? ...
Are any documented actual first person accounts of seeing the log platforms and the 90 foot stone in situ?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original 3 apparently saw them and told others in order for the story to get out.. No way to document it of course at this point. Not like they had a camera back then... I'd like to think that the group of searchers that came in to help them dig would have wanted to see those logs as proof they existed before wasting time and money to help them continue the dig...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday n2mini

One of the dangers of Eye witness accounts that we tend to think their testimony is infallible. Yet well can all be victim of that error. Here is an interesting clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChgPk2OiZCw

In researching treasure legends not just Oak Island but all stories recalled from events that happened years ago we are at the mercy of the memory of the eyewitness and if that eyewitness was unaware of memory bias in what they believed happened.

So in effect what was written say by the Turo Company and others about the alleged Onlow company earlier events of the 3 60 odd years later.

While it is clear you cannot rely solely on one testimony one should find enough supporting peripheral supporting information indirectly connected to events from that era. If that supporting peripheral supporting information is not there then we have to question the accuracy of the alleged eyewitness account.

I always remember years ago I was researching another story based on one of the accounts of an expedition. We thought it was mother lode of info until we found an account of another person on that expedition which totally contradicted each other. To really confuse things we found a third source that contradicted them both. All three was for a fact on expedition together but all three gave conflicting accounts.

3 accounts technically primary sources but versions of events was totally different.

Relying on memory years after the event is frustrating unreliable for exact details. As we can see with early version of Oak Island.

Crow

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one bothered to document and write down any facts until 1860, why not?

Great article on the hoax:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada...-island-where-no-one-has-ever-found-treasure/

"The story was not written down until the 1860s, and it was spread by treasure hunters looking for investors. The inscribed stone was later lost, and nobody ever bothered to photograph it or even trace the strange markings, let alone explain how it was translated.

Historians think it’s a hoax and see echoes in the story of popular folklore from the era. At the time of the California Gold Rush, there was a mania for sudden riches. In New England and the Maritimes, it often took the form of stories about hidden pirate gold."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions