Is there much of difference in...

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's put it this way. Several of my friends that are heavy into gardening looked at my digging tools they wanted to know where they could buy them. I tore through several other shovels and hand diggers before springing for the Lesche (or Predator).

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe there is when looking at the Sampson shovels but for digging in the hole I have a Treasure Wise hand trowel that works awesome! s-l400.jpg
Find it here:Treasure Wise 3 in 1 Digging Tool | eBay

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a mini shovel when not hunting permissions that can be bought for $7.02 at Wallyworld.

k2-_ff39da74-5bac-4813-8ead-de7c054d0417.v2.jpg

You can buy a new shovel cheaper than a replacement handle. I have replaced the handle several times. It is an easy fix. In the spring I pick old snow shovels up off the curb and pull the plastic handles. These are free and are the correct size. I use a Lesche hand digging tool in highly visible areas to include well manicured lawns and I have a modified spade for field use. Th

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES. A Huge difference. I have been testing the new Deteknix Diamond Digger, against my Lesche. After a month, I am really impressed with the Diamond Digger - BUT, Deteknix the Company, recently pulled the main prize on a contest I entered, so I'm torn..

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
The $60+ spade that most detector outfitters sell and the $16 garden spade from Lowes?

Yep, $44 of your money :laughing7:

For years I used the Tru-Temper and Fiskars diggers, I'm still on the 1st ones I'd bought, never broken one, and I'm good sized and leaned on them pretty hard at times.

This year, due to all the hype, I bought a Lesche. I'm not impressed, and it's uncomfortable for me to use because the blade is offset from the handle. So, I went back to the Fiskars.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just got a Sampson for Christmas.
it has already proven itself to me. super tough!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You get what you pay for.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
$10 folding shovel from Army Surplus. Works as shovel/prybar or pick/hoe depending upon how you set it up despite not having a pick end. Rock solid little trencher. The Chinese made a version that had barbed wire fence cutters and other stuff built-in, I want to get one of those.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The $60+ spade that most detector outfitters sell and the $16 garden spade from Lowes?

You get what you pay for. I tried the cheap stuff and broke most all of it in a short time. Then I bought the best. Either Walter Lesche or George Lesche tools for me. Here is what I use. They are amazing.
Gary from Oregon

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Joel_T

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the purpose of the offset handle in so many of the knife blade style diggers?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get what you pay for

Sorry, but there's no way a $60 digger is 7 1/2 times better than my $8 Fiskars digger. Don't buy the hype.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, but there's no way a $60 digger is 7 1/2 times better than my $8 Fiskars digger. Don't buy the hype.

Seriously, Fiskars makes incredible stuff. I've got a pair of Fiskars branch loppers. Even with my arthritic wrist, I can take 1.5" branches with utter ease. That titanium blade, absolute silk. I bet if Fiskars made a military shovel, it'd rival the one the Chinese made that I mentioned for probably only double the price.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. There seems to be a difference of opinion

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

I've broken Fiskars.

I've never broken a Lesch.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone is different. Some want to buy the cheapest, some want the most expensive. I want the best. Just saying. The goal is to just enjoy the fresh air, the finds, the friends, the hobby :)

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost any tool can be broken. You buy according to your needs and soil type. For me I think this would do for 10 bucks. Your needs may differ.
Marvin
[h=1]Craftsman Ergonomic Hand Gardening Transplanter[/h]

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use construction grade tools, yep they cost more, but my 00 irrigating cost $50 10 yrs ago but I am still using it. I also go industrial for the landscaping tools, like trowels and planting shovels, been using them for a good number of years, they are easy to maintain, and I feel are a good investment. Most of mine are Union and TruTemper, both made in America,and I think are still union made. When buying tools I look for heavy gauge, well designed for MY application, and a decent warranty. Just my way of doing it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've broken Fiskars.

I've never broken a Lesch

I've broken one in three years of detecting. And I did that trying to pry a frozen plug out of the ground in 25 degree weather. I'd have to break 6 more to equal what you paid for your Lesche!

I've also lost my Fiskars digger a few times in the woods. Eventually found it, but what if I didn't find it? I'd only be out eight bucks. If you lose your Lesche, you can kiss $60 goodbye! Ouch!

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is different. Some want to buy the cheapest, some want the most expensive. I want the best. Just saying.

The best digger in the world won't make you a better detectorist. I guess it's an ego thing or bragging rights. But I'm a New Englander and we tend to be frugal (cheap). I guess that's just my way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread