🥇 BANNER Is this 17g gold ring Freemasons or something else?

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I haven't posted in a while, but this one rang up on my Equinox 600, and I was pretty stoked. 18k gold ring, 17g.

I need some info on this, because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" makes it definitely Templar Masons, others say the scimitar makes it Shriners, still others look at the Maltese cross and say fireman! I'm sticking with Masons till I hear otherwise (there's a carving of a trowel on one side), but I need the thoughts of experts. If you need more pics, I'm sure I can do that.

I was hesitant to post this, because there is a name and location carved inside, and I'd like to help the homeowner get it back to its rightful place. This location in Minnesota goes back to the late 1800s.
Mason Ring 05.jpg Mason Ring 03.jpg Mason Ring 04.jpg
Mason Ring 01.jpg
Mason Ring 02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 92

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't make out the hand etched engraving in there from the picture of it sitting on the scale, but it looks like real old style script engraving and cool as hell! Can we see the hand engraving on the inside close up?

You have my banner vote!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I don't think it's a Freemason's ring. Their main symbol on face ring has historically been this:
1653108614114.png

Regardless it's a very nice find!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I haven't posted in a while, but this one rang up on my Equinox 600, and I was pretty stoked. 18k gold ring, 17g.

I need some info on this, because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" makes it definitely Templar Masons, others say the scimitar makes it Shriners, still others look at the Maltese cross and say fireman! I'm sticking with Masons till I hear otherwise (there's a carving of a trowel on one side), but I need the thoughts of experts. If you need more pics, I'm sure I can do that.

I was hesitant to post this, because there is a name and location carved inside, and I'd like to help the homeowner get it back to its rightful place. This location in Minnesota goes back to the late 1800s.
View attachment 2027917 View attachment 2027913 View attachment 2027914 View attachment 2027916 View attachment 2027915
Super Awesome Ring!!!! Congrats!!!! Banner Vote here!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very often you will see the acronym “HTWSSTKS” in Masonic jewelry, which stands for “Hiram Tyrian Widow’s Son Sent to King Solomon.” This refers to the Legend of Hiram Abif, an important allegory in Masonic teachings. The story tells of Hiram Abif, who was charged with the task of building King Solomon’s temple, and met his end refusing to tell the secrets of the Master Mason. The story symbolizes loyalty and is associated with the highest degree of the Masonic fraternity.
Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 7.40.16 AM.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not really a Ring person by I can appreciate the work that went into that one. Must be worth more than melt to someone - congrats.
One would be kind of daft to do a melt on a ring of this caliber.
It would be on the same level as melting a Posey ring-like that would ever happen.
17gr @ $43.74 = $743.58 Melt the sucker some would say.:laughing7:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find little man. I'd be happy with that any day. Good luck on the return if you choose to do so. If the owner is long gone, I'd keep it. A relative may just melt it and pocket the cash anyways.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer find little man. I'd be happy with that any day. Good luck on the return if you choose to do so. If the owner is long gone, I'd keep it. A relative may just melt it and pocket the cash anyways.
Yes, the original owner, and the next in line is probably also, and the 3rd generation has probably greying going on.

Yet if they were still in the fraternity, and the Grandfather or even a Great grandfather was the Grand Master I would think this would be a cherished return.

Yet on the other hand it could be a cha-ching run to the pawn shop to pay for a party weekend.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very often you will see the acronym “HTWSSTKS” in Masonic jewelry, which stands for “Hiram Tyrian Widow’s Son Sent to King Solomon.” This refers to the Legend of Hiram Abif, an important allegory in Masonic teachings. The story tells of Hiram Abif, who was charged with the task of building King Solomon’s temple, and met his end refusing to tell the secrets of the Master Mason. The story symbolizes loyalty and is associated with the highest degree of the Masonic fraternity.
View attachment 2027941
Pepperj, you have an acute knowledge; so moot it be

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very often you will see the acronym “HTWSSTKS” in Masonic jewelry, which stands for “Hiram Tyrian Widow’s Son Sent to King Solomon.”
I've heard it referred to 'KSHTWSST' and a phrase which made it easy to remember was 'King Soloman had ten wives, some say twenty'.

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't make out the hand etched engraving in there from the picture of it sitting on the scale, but it looks like real old style script engraving and cool as hell! Can we see the hand engraving on the inside close up?

You have my banner vote!
Out of respect of the owner, I won't share the full engraving yet, but I can share these two words that I can't make out. This should give you an idea of the script, and as an added bonus, maybe someone can read them! Personally I see "Cyrene _____" though I can't make out the second word.

Attachments

• Mason Ring 07.jpg
    Mason Ring 07.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Mason Ring 06.jpg
    Mason Ring 06.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 217
OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2027941
My ring does have a trowel, and while I've seen some flower symbols out there, I have not seen any with 8 petals. Would the Elk Lodge Fraternity use the trowel or flower as a symbol?

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, yeah, this home-owner isn't going to be melting the thing.

I'm working on some research and found a man with this last name with ties to this area and also the area named on the ring, and he was a member of the both the Woodmen and Elk Lodges, so I'm leaning that way for now. He was born in 1875.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread