🥇 BANNER Is this 17g gold ring Freemasons or something else?

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I haven't posted in a while, but this one rang up on my Equinox 600, and I was pretty stoked. 18k gold ring, 17g.

I need some info on this, because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" makes it definitely Templar Masons, others say the scimitar makes it Shriners, still others look at the Maltese cross and say fireman! I'm sticking with Masons till I hear otherwise (there's a carving of a trowel on one side), but I need the thoughts of experts. If you need more pics, I'm sure I can do that.

I was hesitant to post this, because there is a name and location carved inside, and I'd like to help the homeowner get it back to its rightful place. This location in Minnesota goes back to the late 1800s.
Mason Ring 05.jpg Mason Ring 03.jpg Mason Ring 04.jpg
Mason Ring 01.jpg
Mason Ring 02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 92

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
A little more history (if anyone wants it). This ring, by its symbolism, tells me at least 3 obvious things about the original owner. The scimitar with a 5 point star is the primary emblem of The Shrine. Under that is a trowel; Eludes to Blue Lodge. The Keystone with “HTWSSTKS” (proper order of the initials) signifies Royal Arch Masonry, a section of York Rite. Most states recognized a natural progression via their bylaws. Blue Lodge is the initial degrees and the only ones required to be a Freemason. Next 2 Rites were available: Scottish Rite or York Rite. Most members chose one, many others went through both. After completion of either Rite a member could choose to join the Mystic Shrine. Some of this has changed over the years in various states. I hope this give insight into the man who owned the wonderful ring you found. Congrats on the banner! Very deserving. I’m so glad you found it and allowed us to hear the story.

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little more history (if anyone wants it). This ring, by its symbolism, tells me at least 3 obvious things about the original owner. The scimitar with a 5 point star is the primary emblem of The Shrine. Under that is a trowel; Eludes to Blue Lodge. The Keystone with “HTWSSTKS” (proper order of the initials) signifies Royal Arch Masonry, a section of York Rite. Most states recognized a natural progression via their bylaws. Blue Lodge is the initial degrees and the only ones required to be a Freemason. Next 2 Rites were available: Scottish Rite or York Rite. Most members chose one, many others went through both. After completion of either Rite a member could choose to join the Mystic Shrine. Some of this has changed over the years in various states. I hope this give insight into the man who owned the wonderful ring you found. Congrats on the banner! Very deserving. I’m so glad you found it and allowed us to hear the story.
Thanks! I found the man's lodge in SD and learned some things about his associations (i.e. New York Rite). What fascinated me in my research of the guy is that he gave up his membership (I forget the exact terminology for doing so) 2 weeks after his wedding! Having invested so much money and pride in such a hefty chunk of jewelry, he chose to close that chapter of his life to start something new. Fascinating bits of history!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thanks! I found the man's lodge in SD and learned some things about his associations (i.e. New York Rite). What fascinated me in my research of the guy is that he gave up his membership (I forget the exact terminology for doing so) 2 weeks after his wedding! Having invested so much money and pride in such a hefty chunk of jewelry, he chose to close that chapter of his life to start something new. Fascinating bits of history!
What denomination of faith was his wife? Any idea? It is York Rite, not New York. Demitting is the term for dropping membership..

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a wonderful find! I have never heard of a Mason resigning before. My great uncle (b.1878 d. 1975) was a 33rd degree Mason but I know nothing about the organization. He had a marvelous ring, too!

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I haven't posted in a while, but this one rang up on my Equinox 600, and I was pretty stoked. 18k gold ring, 17g.

I need some info on this, because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" makes it definitely Templar Masons, others say the scimitar makes it Shriners, still others look at the Maltese cross and say fireman! I'm sticking with Masons till I hear otherwise (there's a carving of a trowel on one side), but I need the thoughts of experts. If you need more pics, I'm sure I can do that.

I was hesitant to post this, because there is a name and location carved inside, and I'd like to help the homeowner get it back to its rightful place. This location in Minnesota goes back to the late 1800s.
View attachment 2027917 View attachment 2027913 View attachment 2027914 View attachment 2027916 View attachment 2027915
What was the ID on that momba??

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites

View attachment 2027917 View attachment 2027913 View attachment 2027914 View attachment 2027916 View attachment 2027915
thats one of the coolest thing ive ever seen on this site.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
thats one of the coolest thing ive ever seen on this site.
It absolutely is Masonic. The Maltese cross is used by firemen, but by Masons WAY before that. I can read the symbology on the entire ring and it is Masonic. There’s nothing weird about it, nothing in question, except to the “uninitiated” which I completely understand. The designs may appear esoteric, but they are not indecipherable. They are all very common in my be Masonic branches.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
It absolutely is Masonic. The Maltese cross is used by firemen, but by Masons WAY before that. I can read the symbology on the entire ring and it is Masonic. There’s nothing weird about it, nothing in question, except to the “uninitiated” which I completely understand. The designs may appear esoteric, but they are not indecipherable. They are all very common in my be Masonic branches.
And please remember All Shriners are Masons. They are not exclusive organizations. Masonic lodge begat many subordinate groups, including York Rite and Shrine. Don’t think either/or… think of them together.

Shovelbum

Greenie
Nov 9, 2021
Yes, schriner

It looks like a shriner ring

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What denomination of faith was his wife? Any idea? It is York Rite, not New York. Demitting is the term for dropping membership..
Demitting. Thanks. And no, I don't think I came across the wife's denomination. I suppose it's possible she might not have allowed it for that reason, though. Good point!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
There were issues where many Roman Catholics were anti-Masonic.This hit on many levels, none of which I’ll attempt to explain in this forum. There were/are 7 or 8 different reasons supposedly. Suffice it to say that he MAY have left Lodge in order to preserve peace and harmony at home. I’m guessing he would have been older at the time of his nuptials than many men of the day. He would not be the first to succumb to such pressures. Nuf sed

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom Baby thats what Im talking about sweet find thats awesome

hampton detector

Feb 15, 2023

Awesome find! Great job!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FIND CONGRATS !!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't believe I missed this...congrats on an awsome banner !! Somehow I must have been sleeping in May 2022!!😄😴🤣

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922-021408.png
    Screenshot_20230922-021408.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 14

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That’s an amazing find. Banner worthy for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread