✅ SOLVED Is this a Bennington Marble?

Qibble

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After doing some research online I have to assume it is a Bennington marble, but I am not experienced in the topic and there seem to be some inconsistencies between this item and a classic blue Bennington.

I found this on the side of a hill while backpacking through a burnpatch in Northern New Mexico. I do not know how recently the wildfire had burned the area, but it was partly on the surface of the ground. It was a fair distance from any trail or road.

It does not have the distinct Bennington 'eyes'. There is only 1 faint semicircle which I see which could be the remains of an eye. (look at the right side of the 2nd pic)

It also has unusual coloring from what I have seen online. The blue dye seems uncommonly dark and uneven. Especially in one large dark shape that roughly resembles an X. (4th pic)

The largest white spot pictured in the 2nd photo has a couple tiny grooves/cuts which makes it less smooth than the rest of the marble. I assume this is just wear from use.

It is also worth mentioning that it is far from perfectly round. This may be because it had been left outside for so long, but most Benningtons I have seen online are more round. Which leads me to believe it was made by hand and not with the normal machinery.

Does anyone know if there is anything else this could be? Or is it just a poorly kept Bennington?

20210607_141329 (1).jpg

20210607_141435 (1).jpg

20210607_141539 (1).jpg

20210607_141626 (1).jpg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought the Bennington type ceramics, not glass, were just that ceramic. I have only seen the brown/yellow Bennington items around here. That said, could it possible be native American? Just a long shot. Try to see if its glass, ceramic or stone. There is a lot of turquoise, azurite and other blue stones out west. I just don't know.

Upvote 0

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. Sure is a pretty blue. Hopefully cheese will be along to tell you exactly what it is..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

Qibble

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not think it is glass just based on feel and weight. I believe it is some kind of ceramic due to the weight, but it is hard for me to know for sure and I don't know how to test it without risking damaging it. I am very new to this.
When I first found it I thought it might be a smoothed azurite related to native americans like you mentioned, but I don't even know if colored marbles were used in native american culture. From light searching just now, I've only seen uncolored clay or stone versions of marbles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little researching, and the Bennington marbles of the mid 19th century came in a lot of color varieties, including blue like you have.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

Qibble

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a little researching, and the Bennington marbles of the mid 19th century came in a lot of color varieties, including blue like you have.

Yes, thank you. I believe the blue and brown Bennington marbles were the most common kinds. But I'm still wondering if it is an original Bennington. It seems practically like a homemade Bennington because its just different enough from the other ones I've been looking at. I read that there is some evidence that for a short time some Benningtons were made in ohio instead of germany. Perhaps this is one of those and the production quality of the marble was lowered?

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like an oldie. Most benningtons I have seen have the famous bennigton eye or eyes on them from the glazes touching as they were fired. Not sure I see that on yours.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You SURE it's not an egg?

I'm asking 'cause if you remember that Star Trek episode where Capt. Kirk has to face off the Horta (a deadly subterranean creature on a mining outpost). :)
Season 1, Episode 25: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_Dark

I think the same basic thing happened with Ripley on Alien.

Disclaimer: I'm not a trekkie. (I had to look it up). :)
BTW: Nice marble. Love the colors!! Great find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

Qibble

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure looks like an oldie. Most benningtons I have seen have the famous bennigton eye or eyes on them from the glazes touching as they were fired. Not sure I see that on yours.

Exactly! Where are the eyes? That's a big reason why I'm not certain its a Bennington

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yes, that's a Bennington marble 100%. You can see the eyes all over (the white spots). I don't have many photos on file of the ones in my collection but there are a few in this photo at the top.

IMG-3225.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

Qibble

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, that's a Bennington marble 100%. You can see the eyes all over (the white spots). I don't have many photos on file of the ones in my collection but there are a few in this photo at the top.

Cool! Thanks for the help and feedback!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread