🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this a Ku Klux Klan relate belt buckle?

Normeleni

Greenie
Aug 2, 2019
Warner Robins
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, AT Pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is this a Lanier University in Atlanta belt buckle? I found this on a house location along with a Buffalo nickel, and a Model T key. I saw a similar font buckle with Lanier on it identified as such but without the Eagle. Lanier University was a Baptist music university in Atlanta from 1917 to 1922. The last year it was sold to the Ku Klux Klan and promptly went bankrupt. I’m thinking it’s might be a buckle issued in the last year with some tie to the KKK ownership just because of the Eagle.
IMG_6671.jpeg
Having said all this, I have no idea and perhaps this is just my overactive imagination. Would love to have help identifying whatever it really is. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6673.jpeg
    IMG_6673.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
OP
OP
N

Normeleni

Greenie
Aug 2, 2019
Warner Robins
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You may be correct. That’s why I posted to get help opinions from more experienced Detectorists. The only evidence I could find was another buckle that was very very similar in the font and size for the name Lanier. They stated it was for Lanier university in Atlanta. The short history of Lanier and its quick bankruptcy after being acquired by the Klan made me speculate. Heck as far as I know an eagle might not have had any symbolism whatsoever for the klan but I also doubt it had any symbolism for a baptist music school either which Lanier was prior to being acquired by the Klan and going bankrupt immediately there after. The Hamlin copy apparent cast buckles under contract for whoever paid. Again. Speculation looking for better facts, or rationale one way or another.thanks for looking

Upvote 2

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
It is interesting - was this dug in Atlanta? I had no idea this institution existed. I agree with your instincts that this is quite possibly klan related. If you look at the history it would seem that anything connected to Lanier at any time could be considered connected to the klan. It is also plausible that this piece was produced during the period of their direct ownership of Lanier.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
N

Normeleni

Greenie
Aug 2, 2019
Warner Robins
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It is interesting - was this dug in Atlanta? I had no idea this institution existed. I agree with your instincts that this is quite possibly klan related. If you look at the history it would seem that anything connected to Lanier at any time could be considered connected to the klan. It is also plausible that this piece was produced during the period of their direct ownership of Lanier.
It was dug south of Atlanta. Ironically next to a large Baptist church. Go figure:)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread