✅ SOLVED Is this a Lincoln penny or not?

TonyK

Jan 4, 2021
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt GA-72, Geometrix G-858, Geophex GEM-2, Geonix EM-31, S&S Noggin 100 & 250 MHz GPR, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this last week along the Oregon coast with some pennies and dimes. At first I didn't give it much thought as it looked like another penny. On closer inspection, and using a magnifying glass, the bust "seems" different from Lincoln, has a broader head and slightly angled differently (you can make out the left brow), the clothing different and the strange symbol behind the head does not fit anything I can locate on line. Also what is left of the back side of the coin does not look like anything I have found on a penny. It is a copper alloy, thinner than a penny, and was difficult to clean (mistake because some of the detail has been erased).

Any help identifying the coin is appreciated! Could this be a Lincoln penny that was simply distorted under heavy use/damage/ and subsurface soil conditions? Apologize for the lack of detail.
coin_front.jpg coin_back.jpg coin_front_2.jpg coin_back2.jpg

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Lincoln Penny to me, and i would say newer, after 1982 they been making pennies with zinc and they do not last in the elements. I have dug up the newer pennies at the beach and the sand and salt from water have eating them up. This does look at a Lincoln and has sheild on back like this one, they started with the shield in 2010.
lincoln-shield-cent.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TonyK

Jan 4, 2021
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt GA-72, Geometrix G-858, Geophex GEM-2, Geonix EM-31, S&S Noggin 100 & 250 MHz GPR, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your quick response!

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like one.

Although, officially, the United States has never produced a penny coin. They are cents. 1/100th of a dollar.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
While I agree that it is a Lincoln Cent, I doubt it is a modern cent. A salt water environment will typically corrode a
copper plated zinc planchette to nothing long before sand and surf wear it to its current appearance. Could be wrong on that evaluation, but it still appears to be a salt and surf worn Lincoln Cent.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple to find out. Just scrape the edge of the coin. If it's white metal, it's a zinc cent. Copper color, it's pre-zinc.

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
In 1969 they decided to make ol' Lincoln's head smaller on the U.S. one cent coin. My guess is it is a pre 69 and could very well be a wheat back.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Simple to find out. Just scrape the edge of the coin. If it's white metal, it's a zinc cent. Copper color, it's pre-zinc.

Very True. And not likely to damage coin further. Copper plating can be thicker on edges, however.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread