Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine found this at an old homesite in the Niagara Region here in Ontario and I'm thing it's a musket sideplate? :icon_scratch:
I've included pics of the plate found along with a couple of examples I found online for comparison.

It appears to be missing a bit on the narrow end to the left, my friend looked around the area but couldn't find any other pieces. Any thoughts about what it might be and it's age would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dave

IMG_20220828_093743_01-crop.jpg
20220828_115912-crop.jpg
20220828_115917-crop.jpg
49824x4-crop.jpg
Kentucky Rifle, Kopp_side plate_570-268.jpg
:thumbsup:
ACC_560_m-jpg635507206220000000-crop.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say a rifle or fowling piece rather than a musket, or, at that size, likely a pistol. Does not look military.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That definitely looks like it, thank you for your help fyrffytr1. :thumbsup:
Hope you're doing well these days,
Dave

Upvote 2

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine found this at an old homesite in the Niagara Region here in Ontario and I'm thing it's a musket sideplate? :icon_scratch:
I've included pics of the plate found along with a couple of examples I found online for comparison.

It appears to be missing a bit on the narrow end to the left, my friend looked around the area but couldn't find any other pieces. Any thoughts about what it might be and it's age would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dave

View attachment 2043830 View attachment 2043831 View attachment 2043832 View attachment 2043833 View attachment 2043834 :thumbsup: View attachment 2043835
Nice find. It sure looks like the real thing to me,(which means absolutely nothing) but is one end broken off? All the example photos have at least 2 mounting screw holes.

Upvote 3

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind, nothing was mass produced, sideplates were all cut and filed by hand back in those days, so two guns even by the same maker would most likely be different. The size and shape of the lock used and even the size and shape of the piece of brass on hand could make a difference in the shape of the sideplate. Different makers in the same geographical area or time period would also use similar shapes and styles. You'll never really know for sure exactly what it is from. With some research and looking at a lot of pictures you may be able to identify the style and rough time period though.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing to keep in mind, nothing was mass produced, sideplates were all cut and filed by hand back in those days, so two guns even by the same maker would most likely be different. The size and shape of the lock used and even the size and shape of the piece of brass on hand could make a difference in the shape of the sideplate. Different makers in the same geographical area or time period would also use similar shapes and styles. You'll never really know for sure exactly what it is from. With some research and looking at a lot of pictures you may be able to identify the style and rough time period though.

This is good historical background information Cutler, thank you so much for your post Sir. :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread