traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is extremely helpful to have as much information as possible to solve a mystery. To start with,
Where did you get it?
Some description about the material?
We can judge the size from your hand but dimensions are important.
Just trying to help you. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is extremely helpful to have as much information as possible to solve a mystery. To start with,
Where did you get it?
Some description about the material?
We can judge the size from your hand but dimensions are important.
Just trying to help you. Thanks for posting.
I bought it at a small auction house in Central California and they weren’t sure what it was. The darker rim and base are leather (I believe) but I don’t know what the actual basket material is. It is relatively small with a diameter of 8.25” and height of what looks to be 3.25”.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be authentic. The answer is in the weaving. I would research weaved native American from your area and see if anything matches. It is a beautiful piece worth finding out about.
It does look as if someone dyed the rim and the outside of the bowl with something at some point?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not be worth much because I’ve never really looked into Native American basketry but in all my dabbling with native artifacts I don’t recall a leather-woven hybrid anything. But it is interesting and I’d agree it looks like it has some age

Well I stand corrected, was looking for my own knowledge and found this that’s fairly close

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like it could be authentic. It could also be carbon-dated. Check your area for an authentication service or artifact museum. Could also check with a university's archology department.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies! The university idea isn’t bad and I might try to reach out directly to an expert, if I can find one. I’m not entirely sure if it’s Native American, either, and thought maybe African but I’ll definitely look into the pacific island angle, too.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Olderthebetter's example is similar in shape, but if you enlarge the pictures, the weaving style, and materials used are identical in Treasure Hunter's found photo, and the OP's. You won't find a better match, IMO. That Museum has your information, Customx.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olderthebetter's example is similar in shape, but if you enlarge the pictures, the weaving style, and materials used are identical in Treasure Hunter's found photo, and the OP's. You won't find a better match, IMO. That Museum has your information, Customx.
I agree! I can’t figure out which museum in Dillsboro it is. Treasure Hunter, can you provide me with a link to where you got that photo, please?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! I can’t figure out which museum in Dillsboro it is. Treasure Hunter, can you provide me with a link to where you got that photo, please?
I did a reverse image search of picture I posted to find it again and found some others too.

The picture I found here,

There is a Dillsboro In and Dillsboro NC, so not sure where it came from.

Info with the sale...

Antique Hopi - Northern Plains Native American Basket pre-dates 1900s with sewn-in sinew hide covering the bottom of basket as well as the basket’s upper edge – approximately 2.” Basket was hand-woven and hand-dyed, from plants and animal dyes, creating the wonderful striations and patina both on the inside and out. Basket is in exceptionally good vintage condition with the animal sinew in strong condition. Fabulous should you like to add a layer of bohemia or rusticity to your home, no matter what your current decor. Size - Condition 7” tall 13.5” edge 40" in diameter Measurements are approximate, but very close. Seven inches of the sinew around basket’s top is missing and a bit of usage, approximately 2” inside basket along with a minor repair and a small split of sinew are the major issues to this piece. Basket remains very strong and beautiful with wear consistent to use. I will happily combine items for shipping! Simply contact me prior to purchase for an exact shipping quote or purchase and feel confident I will refund excess shipping charges if applicable. *Note some items may be too big to ship in the same box. To return to my main shop page, please visit here: joaneilis.etsy.com

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin makes baskets from pine needles and it does have the same look and the leather work could have been repair work done to make the basket last longer. IMO it is definitely an old basket. Very cool find. Our tribe is in Southern California (Kumeyaay) also known as Diegueno, and I haven't seen one like yours but the weaving looks the same.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again to everyone! I’m glad we’re all thinking it’s genuine. If it is, I think I got a pretty good deal on it for $15!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread