Is this a possible Lunar Meteorite? New to this, seeking experienced help if this is worth testing

farkil

Dec 12, 2021
Any advice? found this in my lake and it's very out of place. Found it while searching for sunglasses about 6 inches deep in the sand about 10 meters from the shoreline. It was the only rock I found of any size in a 10 square meter area. slightly magnetic when near a magnet hanging from string. weighs 460 grams and is about 4x3x2.5 inches. Very heavy/dense for it's relative size. Looks exactly like lunar chondrites I've seen online but I don't have a clue what I'm talking about as I just started to look into all this. Any information/help/advice would be greatly appreciated
20211212_053232.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• 20211212_053232[5938].jpg
    20211212_053232[5938].jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 20211212_053458[5935].jpg
    20211212_053458[5935].jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20211212_164335[5939].jpg
    20211212_164335[5939].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
OP
F

farkil

Dec 12, 2021
Welcome to Tnet

I suggest you have a read of this, and draw your own conclusions:

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/how-do-we-know-that-its-a-rock-from-the-moon/

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I already read that page and wasn't able to rule out the possibility it could be one, or so I thought. I already knew it's extremely unlikely but certain details about this point in what seems the right direction and potential value makes me want it to be ruled out with certainty before I stop proceeding

OP
OP
F

farkil

Dec 12, 2021
Welcome to Tnet

I suggest you have a read of this, and draw your own conclusions:

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/how-do-we-know-that-its-a-rock-from-the-moon/

I get it's very difficult to say something is or isn't a meteorite from a few pictures and details posted from someone online. I'm more looking for a few experienced individuals to say whether it is or isn't worth sending in to get tested and, if it is, where are a few places to send a sample for testing. Thanks again for your reply

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have previously posted details for a testing service in which I would have complete confidence (post #29 at the link below):

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/25lb-stony-iron-meteorite.657859/page-2#post-6782430

In my opinion (I have been studying and collecting meteorites for a loooong time) there is nothing about your rock visible in the pictures which distinguishes it from terrestrial material; it has nothing which could be said to be a fusion crust; it has a very rounded cobble-like shape which has no sign of flight orientation; and there are no visible cracks characteristic of impact shock. Add that to the likelihood of finding a lunar specimen and I would say that you'd be wasting your money in getting it tested, except that it would satisfy your curiosity,

Reactions: Fat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks to be gneiss rock that has tumbled in a river, gneiss can have a lot of color variations so you need to look at a lot of pictures of different ones. But I think it's an Earth rock of some type. JMO

Reactions: Fat
OP
OP
F

farkil

Dec 12, 2021
To me it looks to be gneiss rock that has tumbled in a river, gneiss can have a lot of color variations so you need to look at a lot of pictures of different ones. But I think it's an Earth rock of some type. JMO

Uh... nvm lol, I'll just send in a piece for testing

Thanks for your time guys

SCUFFLES

Apr 27, 2019
Quebec Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any advice? found this in my lake and it's very out of place. Found it while searching for sunglasses about 6 inches deep in the sand about 10 meters from the shoreline. It was the only rock I found of any size in a 10 square meter area. slightly magnetic when near a magnet hanging from string. weighs 460 grams and is about 4x3x2.5 inches. Very heavy/dense for it's relative size. Looks exactly like lunar chondrites I've seen online but I don't have a clue what I'm talking about as I just started to look into all this. Any information/help/advice would be greatly appreciated View attachment 1996201 View attachment 1996202
Definitely not a meteorite. There is nothing that suggests it’s a meteorite. It’s just a normal terrestrial rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread